Drink Drive Policeman...

Tango

Let's not get too carried away, no one was hurt in the incident and it would be a shame to lose a good police officer due to a silly mistake. It seems to me that the real issue here is that any wayward authority should be treated in the same way as the proles, which they clearly are not on the island. Twas ever thus I suspect. Drink driving is like fast driving if you ask me, with higher speed/consequences, and amount of alcohol consumed/consequences being exponentially linked.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Let's not get too carried away, no one was hurt in the incident and it would be a shame to lose a good police officer due to a silly mistake. It seems to me that the real issue here is that any wayward authority should be treated in the same way as the proles, which they clearly are not on the island. Twas ever thus I suspect. Drink driving is like fast driving if you ask me, with higher speed/consequences, and amount of alcohol consumed/consequences being exponentially linked.

Jesus christ can you stop trolling about speed? This about the illicit (as in now, none of this 'future law' shite) actions of an off-duty policeman (relevant or not it doesn't matter) which would have endangered any other persons in the area of which he was driving.

Aside from just being a potential danger, he did crash/damage his vehicle. This [to me], shows his obvious incapability of avoiding hazards and could have well been a person.

Surely this must compromise his position as an enforcer of the law and public safety? The public safety which he blatantly disregarded by putting himself in that car, and afterwards the risk he shown made apparent by his crashing and abandoning of the vehicle.

Drink driving is not like fast-driving, the two things are completely different. If you do think they are the same, then no doubt you will think that the increase in volume of lottery tickets sold each year is a major factor in global warming.

Drink driving is not a silly mistake - it is a calculated risk taken by people. People usually arrive sober with the car at the pub or wherever they are drinking, and make a decision to start drinking when they are sober. That's the 'silly error', which was a conscious decision to be prepared to break the law the moment he started drinking with a car outside. That's why a policeman doing it is so serious. If people see it as a silly mistake - why do you think it carries a penalty of up to 5 years inside?

Drink driving is not a silly mistake - it is a calculated risk taken by people.

But surely so is speeding?

People usually arrive sober with the car at the pub or wherever they are drinking, and make a decision to start drinking when they are sober. That's the 'silly error', which was a conscious decision to be prepared to break the law the moment he started drinking with a car outside.

Not strictly true, as the law does allow some drinking, and the amount one can "get away with" would appear to differ greatly from person to person. A complete ban on drink driving would deal with this anomaly, and would certainly have my support. The details of this particular case are thin on the ground - anyone have a link to the FACTS?

If it's unplanned, I have a rule that if I'm in the car and am having a drink I'll stick to soft drinks - and not even have a single alcoholic drink.

If I do have a skinful I usually make sure it's a Fri or a Sat so being fit for work/driving Monday - and not have to travel on a Sat/Sun. I couldn't afford to lose my licence as I need it to drive equip all over the island/UK, and wouldn't be stupid enough to put other people at risk.

I have previously left my car in Douglas a few times overnight when 'unplanned events' have arisen, and got two parking tickets (mega bucks!) for being sensible and leaving it instead of driving home - even after 'just a couple' of pints the previous night. A couple of cokes works out far cheaper!

_

Same, I have been in such drunken states b4 now that I have not felt alright to drive for over a day after.

Keyboarder, I am not gonna tell you to piss off

But I am thinking it.

I appreciate that these are two different cases but it does no harm to Contrast and Compare

Policeman

Bus Driver

eg:

Mr Moyle told [Mr X]: 'You must be under no misapprehension about how seriously this court will view this matter.'

One went to prison and lost his job. He has been unable to work since and is paid £59.20 per week.

The other, well....

I appreciate that these are two different cases but it does no harm to Contrast and Compare

Policeman

Bus Driver

eg:

Mr Moyle told [Mr X]: 'You must be under no misapprehension about how seriously this court will view this matter.'

One went to prison and lost his job. He has been unable to work since and is paid £59.20 per week.

The other, well....

I understand your point...but there is a big difference if you crash a bus with 50 people on it - none of whom are wearing seat belts. Plus a bus can do significant damage to anything/anyone it hits.

Archived