Drink Drive Policeman...

Tango

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply
But if you are the drunk driver who crashes into the bus, or causes it to crash whilst being driven by a sober bus driver ?

I think the difference is that: as a drunken bus driver you have responsibility for those people's lives, whereas as a drunk driver it didn't necessarily happen but it could i.e. probability of 1 for bus driver (certainty) v probability of 1/X for car driver (possibility).

I appreciate that these are two different cases but it does no harm to Contrast and Compare

Policeman

Bus Driver

One went to prison and lost his job. He has been unable to work since and is paid £59.20 per week.

The other, well....

The Bus Driver was working (driving his bus) when he got caught/arrested.

The Policeman was on his days off and wasn't due in work for another couple of days.

If the Policeman has been caught whilst he was on duty then I think Prison and loosing his job would be the least that could be thrown at him. He wasn't on duty, and whilst he should have known better, I think the punishment was fair.

There are plenty of desk jobs he can do in the Police for 14 months if he doesn't get booted out. I doubt he will ever be a Traffic Policeman again, or get promoted etc so pretty much ruined his career anyway.........

The disqualification sentencing is fair. It is set by Tynwald

35mg One year minimum

70 mg Two yeras minimum

Over that its 100mg plus consider prison and a three year ban the ban can be up to five yeras.

If you have a DD ban in last 5 years then its 2 yeras minimum anyway

The fine is wholly discretioanry.

So the disqualification is a mandatory minimum dependent on alcohol level and a discretionary add on dependfent on circumstances.

Everyone has to re take their test.

The offence is not the same. its just like theft do you treat the person who takes £1 the same as the person who takes £1 million.

How many of the righteous forum members have not decided to drive the following day in the belief that they are OK to do so ????

As far as I'm aware the alcohol 'leaves' your body at a rate of approx 1 unit per hour, so say a medium size session of 10 pints would be 20 units & therefore at least 20 hours.

Suppose that would be more from the beginning of your drinking than the end of it (ie if out for several hours then some of it will already have gone by the end possibly).

Not worth chancing it though.

Don't give me this "off duty" bollocks - it only ever happens when it's convenient for the copper involved!

When my dad was driving coaches he took a bunch of trippers to Douglas. While having his snap on a bench on the prom he got chatting to a holidaymaker about the island and what he did etc etc who turned out to be a copper on annual leave. Some days later he was hauled before the beak for "Not displaying his PSV license". He was qualified, he had it with him, he wasn't actually on the vehicle at the time and he had taken it off in case it fell off while he was walking up the prom. The nasty, petty little bastard had reported him for it and he got fined.

It's like Roly, Ballacain and all the rest. I'm so glad I no longer live there as the feeling of helplessness after complaining about such a blatant miscarriage of justice and getting nowhere would really hack me off. Add to that the annoyance that they think they can always get away with it and I start to wonder how it can be tolerated by the general populance - general apathy with an associated willingness to be shafted I suppose....

Anyway, good luck Tango, however I suspect you should rearrange these words into a well known phrase or saying:

"wind into the pissing"!

His car was found on Bride Road at 6.25am officers attended his home at 7.20am, almost a full hour after to get from Bride Road to Andreas he was then transported to police HQ for a breath test!!!!!!!!!!! What happened to the breathalyzer

He slept in his car which is a drink driving offence in itself as he has in his possession the keys for his vehicle. The car was involved in an accident he did not report and subsequently left the scene. You can be arrested and convicted for suspicion of drink driving.

122 mg is over the legal limit but it is not a high reading and someone with that amount of alcohol in their system would not be drunk but never the less over the limit. What would his reading have been when he decided to sleep in his vehicle?

The social club and bar directly above the cells at HQ was the funniest thing I had ever seen in my life. they are all at it and this officer knew it.

Cheers

Do the Navan Walk

Same, I have been in such drunken states b4 now that I have not felt alright to drive for over a day after.

Keyboarder, I am not gonna tell you to piss off

But I am thinking it.

Well think out loud, I can take it, I'm very thick skinned. With reasons preferably. (Dependent on your state of course)

Can anyone tell me what the limit is? I thought it was 80, but reading JW's post that may be wrong.

JW seems to be quoting the figures that relate to a breath sample obtained using an intoximeter – where the legal limit is 35micrograms per 100ml of breath.

In the case of a blood sample the limit is 80mg per 100 ml of blood.

I think the policeman had a blood/alcohol reading of 122mg. This would have been taken a good two hours or so after his arrest.

I am embarrassed to say that have personal experience of the procedures followed when you are arrested for drink driving.

When you get to police headquarters you are required to provide two specimens of breath into an intoximeter. The lowest sample of breath is the one used to determine the next stage of the process.

If your lowest reading is above 50 micrograms (per 100 ml of breath) then you are obliged to provide either a blood or urine sample – the police choose which - for further testing and it is this that is used in the court.

If the reading is below 50 micrograms then you have a choice of accepting the breath sample as the evidence that will be used in court or you can opt to give a blood/urine sample. It seems most people opt to give a blood/urine sample.

My lowest reading was 50 and I was given the option of providing further samples. I decided that as I was already in the shit I could not see the point in waiting for an hour or so for a doctor to take a blood sample – apart from anything the cost of doing this is added the “costs” that are passed onto you in court.

I also wanted to go home and face the music. And boy was it loud – and quite rightly still is 4 years later.

I paid for my own defence – using the same advocate as the policeman – and was lucky to only get a 12 month ban and a £500 fine. The standard tariff for my reading was a minimum 18month ban with a £800+ fine.

That 100 meter drive probably cost me around £5,000 in terms of hard cash. Luckily it did not cost me my job (as I work off island so I was still able to drive for work) – but it has made it more difficult to get another one.

Thank god it did not involve damage to anything or anyone.

• 9 months later...

Did you really expect a copper to get the same punishment as a bus driver?

Policemen are highly trained individuals and are more capable than you or I to gauge their capabilities whilst in a car. If they are confident and consider themselves able to drive safely, who are you or I to question that judgment?

It would be a different situation if said officer had been involved in a previous traffic incident while a serving officer. But then they wouldn't be elevated to the road unit would they????

William Moffat, then a Ramsey based police officer and now appealing to get his traffic cop job back, has previously seriously damaged and written off a police car whilst driving. This was on June 8th 1991, and was reported on page 20 of the Isle of Man Examiner of Tues 16th July 1991.In the Northern News section.

Officers smashing up Police cars was hardly news, in those days they were well known for it

The first ever Mobile Incident Unit was crashed into a bollard outside Police HQ only weeks after delivery, by an officer lacking the required HGV licence for that vehicle

This incident with the Incident Unit failed to make the press

I'm sure ex-cops and panel-beaters have legions of similar tales

Archived