Drink Drive Policeman...

Tango

Can I ask that people refrain from posting up details of previous incidents because basically I have no idea where we stand with the Rehabilitation of Offenders act. Playing it safe until someone who actually knows what they're talking about tells me otherwise. Sorry.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Seeing as neither of us are lawyers, I think I'd rather err on the side of caution. The post is just invisible and will be made visible if I get confirmation it's allowed. Nothing sinister, just trying to keep us on the right side of the law profession.

Edit: Now visible, thanks.

We have to be careful when discussing things like road traffic incidents,

From my recollection at least one previous Manx forum was closed down amidst some rather unpleasant threats and the like.

For everyone

You can post that someone was in an accident or that their car was damaged. That is not a crime. If you post that they drank drove, then that is a crime and if it is a long time ago it is a criminal offence to refer to it directly or indirectly

You must not post that they were sent to court and convicted if it was so long agao that they are now rehabilitated

It is less clear if you say they were driving dangerously, drunk or drugged 1st it implies braeching the law and secondly it implies that they might have been prosecuted and convicted.

The fine, for you in posting, if you get it wrong, is £2,500

Lets make it clear, for Glady's sake, there is no suggestion that PC Moffatt was drunk when involved in an incident in which a police vehicle he was driving was involved in an accident in which the Police vehicle was written off all those years ago.

We try and moderate, to protect you and the site. if something goes for a legal resaon I will try and send a PM saying why, even although that is not necessary.

It takes time to review, consider delete and send a PM.

If that is happening to you, wait an hour until re posting using different words

Thank you John, but for my sake and others, if a post is made invisible, wouldn't it be sensible to make other posts that refer to it invisible until the situation is checked. Otherwise you have posts out of context which can be misconstrued and hence my remark above.

You must not post that they were sent to court and convicted if it was so long agao that they are now rehabilitated

This is under the rehabilitation of offenders act?

I can understand why it should be illegal to use it against someone for employment purposes etc, but illegal to talk about it? That's bizarre. If it happened it happened.

Thank you John, but for my sake and others, if a post is made invisible, wouldn't it be sensible to make other posts that refer to it invisible until the situation is checked. Otherwise you have posts out of context which can be misconstrued and hence my remark above.

Generally we try to. However, our first priority is to remove the content from public view. Other concerns are secondary.

This is under the rehabilitation of offenders act?

I can understand why it should be illegal to use it against someone for employment purposes etc, but illegal to talk about it? That's bizarre. If it happened it happened.

Here we go - apologies for the formatting:

3(1) Subject to the following provisions of this section and to any order under section 10(1), any person who-

(a) publishes, or causes or permits to be published; or

(b) broadcasts, or causes or permits to be broadcast,

any matter imputing that a rehabilitated person has committed or been charged with or prosecuted for or convicted of or sentenced for an offence which was the subject of a spent conviction shall be guilty of an offence and shall be liable on summary conviction to a fine not exceeding £2,500.

Archived