[BBC News] Stranglers added to festival list

Newsbot

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Apparently they're about to confirm Madness too, which is a big woot from me and my kids will be awstruck with McFly.

I'm impressed, they're doing something. We're going to have a large venue this year with some great acts to suit a large range of tastes. I'd like to see something more bikery added now, but apart from that they're doing a grand job.

• 2 weeks later...
Mojo - ahhh The Smiths, but have you seen what Morrissey has become? That would be totally awsome but very unlikely. I'd love to be a Smiths tribute band, shame I can't sing....or play the guitar :( nvm eh.

Can't sing, can't play guitar - you'd be perfect for a Smiths tribute band :)

I'm getting a lot more interested in this festie, now that Madness & the Stranglers have been mentioned, I must say I'm totally not interested in any of the other acts that have been announced, but I imagine many people would be.

I hope this comes off as a success, you can't put music on to suit everybody (would love to see Hayseed Dixie again this TT week), but I'll probably go and see the Stranglers & Madness just to show my support.

Many locals complain that 'nothing happens on the IOM, there's nothing to see' - maybe we should show some support - even if only some of the music might be something you like to see, - if this event is a success then it will be more likely that it will continue, and bring acts over that will be more suited to everyone's taste.

Thankyou to the organisers for having the balls to have a go at such a huge project, I hope it works out for all of us!

If you're trying to say that Johnny Marr can't play guitar you clearly know nothing about guitar players.

The Smiths are one of those bands that you either love or hate, - I certainly don't love them!

The Smiths ref in my post was more of a joke than anything.

I'm also not saying Johnny Marr couldn't play guitar, he certainly had skill on the six strings - hardly anything original though.

- Wikipedia quote on Johnny Marr:-

Musicianship

Marr, in The Smiths, was known for a delicate, angelically sweet guitar style that could evoke musicality from just a few well-chosen notes. However in the Smiths, Marr was far more open minded to stick to the Roger McGuinn jangly sound that he is often praised for. Tracks like 'I Started Something I couldn't Finish' nod towards Mick Ronson, while the chords to 'Panic' are similar to those of 'Metal Guru' by T-Rex. This fits in with Morrissey's ideology of "Talent borrows, Genius steals", a quote taken from Oscar Wilde, a hero of Morrissey, who is noted in the song 'Cemetry Gates' where Marr again displays Nashville-style guitar parts, along with a Kinks sensibility. Other influences included the likes of Bo Diddley (Best displayed in the shuffling chords of 'How Soon is Now?') and Keith Richards.Contrasted with the common rock guitar flashiness and speed of the time, best exemplified by Eddie Van Halen, Marr's playing was out of place in the usual pop mainstream. (However, in an interview Marr has acknowledged the work of Eddie Van Halen and Yngwie Malmsteen.)

Edited to add:-

I loved the Ukrainians versions of the Smiths tunes though!!!

MANX RADIO LINK

Madness are the latest stars to sign up for the Peel Bay Festival.

They’ll be the star attractions on Mad Sunday, headlining with The Stranglers.

I thought Robin Gibb was 'headlining' the event, then the Stranglers, then Madness etc. etc. etc.

With everyone headlining the event, it'll be a hell of a headline. I pity whoever is the support act - they must be s**t!

The Stranglers to open, followed my Madness!

How the fuck could you not buy a ticket?

I will gain a favourable parking space for my Vespa, 20.000 looking at it, it might not get kicked over like last TT.

At last, great music and no Heavy metal, brill.

All the greasers busy killing themselves on the mountain and no seats in the tent, should be titled 'MADROCK'.

Archived