Beckham Goes To La

P.K.

I reckon he'll succeed where everyone else failed in gettin the septic tanks into football. Good move for him, he''l make a wedge and become a legend over there, all the celeb's love him. Fair play to the guy, completely brainless so he's used his looks to make a mint, probably totally driven by her, mind. Good luck to him anyway.

Was it US or Italy where she got offered a tv show?

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

June or so, 2006 -

"I want to play for England again. I will fight for my place. I will do whatever it takes to get back in the England squad"

He seemed genuine about that desire. So all he had to do was sign in the summer for Spurs or whoever and fight for his place in an arena where he could be seen to be committed to English football.

All his credibility is gone now with British fans - his legacy will be to be regarded as putting more money than he can possibly spend before the sport he loved. So no legacy at all.

All his credibility is gone now with British fans - his legacy will be to be regarded as putting more money than he can possibly spend before the sport he loved. So no legacy at all.

Well, even though I don't like him much at present, 'it ain't over till the fat lady sings'. It's what he will do with all of this money when he's beginning to start thinking of retiring. Who knows, he may surprise us all and go back to his roots and buy Preston North End. In the end a lot of the money could end up back in British football. Too early to say - but I still think he's a nonce for the moment.

Good luck to the lad. Time will prove what a brilliant Footballer he was. As well as being a thoroughly decent chap in the process.

But hey, let's not let a success story rattle anyone's cages, eh ?...

...GOMH*...

That was the point. He was a very good footballer - and dedicated his life to it from a very early age. But because of this move, it is doubtful if any but the most committed Man United fan will remember him for what he achieved. Following the money is what he will be remembered for.

The disturbing thing is that the move to USA is not probably what he really personally wants to do. I bet he would love to play in front of thousands again at Arsenal, White Hart Lane or somewhere near his roots, in front of English fans and put in another couple of good years to remind people just how good he was.

That's what I plan to do anyway, but it's not looking good at the moment....

Who knows, he may surprise us all and go back to his roots and buy Preston North End.

I think he'd be better advised to buy into the future of football rather than it's history. :P

*(S) Coughs*

1 Birmingham 53

2 Derby County 50

3 Preston 47

4 Southampton 45

5 WBA 43

6 Colchester 43

7 Stoke City 43

8 Cardiff City 43

9 Wolves 42

10 Sunderland 40

11 Sheffield Wed 40

12 Burnley 37

13 Plymouth 36

14 Ipswich Town 35

15 Crystal Palace 34

16 Coventry City 34

17 Norwich City 34

18 Leicester City 32

19 Luton Town 31

20 QPR 30

21 Hull City 27

22 Barnsley 26

23 Leeds United 24

24 Southend 21

_

What I find most interesting is that this quoted figure of $250 million over five years isn't actually salary, but has been spun into making people believe that it is.

His annual salary for the club is only (only, heh) $10 million. The rest is made up of a share of a projected $10 million in shirt sales and a projected $10 million in club profits. The other $25 million a year comes from all his existing sponsorship deals with Motorola, Pepsi, Gilette and VW, ie money he is already getting right now.

In short, he hasn't signed some super contract that earns him $1m a week. He's signed a contract for less salary than he has now, but with the potential for a share in profits.

Calderon blasts Beckham over move

Real Madrid president Ramon Calderon has launched a blistering attack on David Beckham over his decision to join American side LA Galaxy.

Beckham, 31, has been told by Real boss Fabio Capello he will not play again before his contract runs out in July.

Calderon said: "He will be an average cinema actor living in Hollywood.

"The proof our technical team was right in not considering his continuity has been ratified because no one, with the player having been free, wanted him."

Calderon made the comments in a speech to university students that was aired by Spanish radio station Cadena Cope.

Oh dear, not a happy bunny, him...

What I find most interesting is that this quoted figure of $250 million over five years isn't actually salary, but has been spun into making people believe that it is...

His annual salary for the club is only (only, heh) $10 million. The rest is made up of a share of a projected $10 million in shirt sales and a projected $10 million in club profits. The other $25 million a year comes from all his existing sponsorship deals with Motorola, Pepsi, Gilette and VW, ie money he is already getting right now.

In short, he hasn't signed some super contract that earns him $1m a week. He's signed a contract for less salary than he has now, but with the potential for a share in profits.

I had this very conversation on the way to watch Barnsley v Preston at the weekend. What sort of idiot would pay £125M otherwise? No wonder Posh Spice is launching so offensively this week - this is all about 'brand Beckham's'.

I hope they crash and burn - at least that would be a sign that Joe Dumbo isn't going to go along with all this crap. IMO, footballers should be on ability/paybands like the rest of us - and not pricing Joe Public out of 'the national game'.

Let's be fair. Not only is he going to continue making a mint when he's way past his sell-by date - he's also going to the only country on earth where he'll be of 'above average' intelligence!

That is one of the funniest observations I have seen in a long time. :lol:

Quote of the year 2007???

- We'll probably have forgotten this one by the end of the year :(

His missus will feel even more of a skeleton if she lives in the US, hell - might even prompt her to eat a few more pies and have a go at looking almost healthy - could do her some good - it's not as if she can't afford to eat now is it?

Some people look that skinny through poverty and famine, how can someone that rich who could afford to eat, possibly look so malnourished???

• 4 months later...

Oh dear, just when a few weeks would have seen him safely forgotten in LA unfortunately Steve McClaren has recalled Beckham to the England squad. Instead of calling on the younger generation which has a future, McClaren is calling on the older generation - which hasn't! OK, his job is on the line (personally I was hoping for Scolari or O'Niell) but this surely is the last cast of a desperate man. Worst case Beckham actually manages to successfully tackle someone and stays in the side for the Estonia game. Best case he breaks some bones, preferable his own and not those of the opposition. OK, he's good at free kicks, but so are lots of others. At this level you need ALL your players getting stuck in. I don't believe you can afford to carry a Beckham for a full 90 minutes just for the odd kick around the box.

Some stats:

Beckham 94 caps 17 goals (only one from open play though, 16 were free kicks/penalties)

Stevie 55 caps 12 goals

Fat Frank 53 caps 12 goals

I appreciate the difficulties, 60% of the Premiership players do not qualify for England, which means the international opposition all know us a lot better than we know them. But there is home-grown talent there and unless you risk it in friendlies you'll never really know. Which means, of course, that the likes of Beckham shouldn't get a sniff. I mean, is he a different player from last year other than being a year older?

Guest chunkylover
But there is home-grown talent there and unless you risk it in friendlies you'll never really know. Which means, of course, that the likes of Beckham shouldn't get a sniff. I mean, is he a different player from last year other than being a year older?

Well he's playing for Real Madrid again after being told he wouldn't get another game once he told them he was leaving. He's in much better form than he has been for some time - Real Madrid are at the top of the league assisted by his performance - why shouldn't he be recalled?

Archived