Beckham Goes To La

P.K.

OK, he's good at free kicks, but so are lots of others. At this level you need ALL your players getting stuck in. I don't believe you can afford to carry a Beckham for a full 90 minutes just for the odd kick around the box.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply
At this level you need ALL your players getting stuck in. I don't believe you can afford to carry a Beckham for a full 90 minutes just for the odd kick around the box.

We've had Gerrard carrying 10 others in some matches and almost got away with it.

And they've done so well without him.

You mean they've done so badly without the likes of Hargreaves and Owen.

To be fair to McClaren there have been and are a lot out, especially in defense. No A Cole, Woodgate, Ferdinand, Richards and Neville. Although I added Neville as a debating point as I think he's a bit past his sell-by date as well.

I believe they have to stop the long ball to Crouch nonsense and get behind defenders and in the likes of Phillips, J Cole and Downing they have the players to do it. Good laugh, my missus asked me "Are Joe Cole and Ashley Cole brothers then?". She doesn't understand the offside rule either....

Guest chunkylover
And they've done so well without him.

You mean they've done so badly without the likes of Hargreaves and Owen.

To be fair to McClaren there have been and are a lot out, especially in defense. No A Cole, Woodgate, Ferdinand, Richards and Neville. Although I added Neville as a debating point as I think he's a bit past his sell-by date as well.

I believe they have to stop the long ball to Crouch nonsense and get behind defenders and in the likes of Phillips, J Cole and Downing they have the players to do it. Good laugh, my missus asked me "Are Joe Cole and Ashley Cole brothers then?". She doesn't understand the offside rule either....

yes, because no woman possibly could obviously d'oh- mind you with the new "interfering with play" interpretation, it's obvious that no-one else does either - refeees, linesmen and players included

Well, the linesman who ruled the first Brazil effort offside doesn't understand it that's for sure.

Some good performances, some not so good. They ran rings around Carragher, something he's not used to, so he reverted to doing what he tends to do for Liverpool when it's not going well - giving away free kicks around the box. Joe Coles "stepover" tactics got him nowhere and he got a bit spiteful as a consequence. Fat Frank did not have a good game either. When Terry scored to hear the commentators you would have thought Beckham had put it in the net. Incidentally Beckham failed to tackle anyone - as per usual. Downing had a good effort but the right wing was lamentable. They would have space but not use it preferring just to punt it ineffectually into the box. Owen is starting to look sharp, which is good. Stevie was man of the match and quite rightly.

I think they will probably win on Wednesday but it will be a scrappy game.

Some stats:

Beckham 94 caps 17 goals (only one from open play though, 16 were free kicks/penalties)

Stevie 55 caps 12 goals

Fat Frank 53 caps 12 goals

Should that say irrelevant stats? Diver and Lampard both play as attacking central midfielders, they should be scoring more that BEckham, who plays wide right and supplies the ammo. You do understand that don't you?

Beckham 0.18 gpg

Diver 0.22 gpg

Lampard 0.23 gpg

Hasn't Diver only scored 9 international golas though?

But there is home-grown talent there and unless you risk it in friendlies you'll never really know. Which means, of course, that the likes of Beckham shouldn't get a sniff. I mean, is he a different player from last year other than being a year older?

Well he's playing for Real Madrid again after being told he wouldn't get another game once he told them he was leaving. He's in much better form than he has been for some time - Real Madrid are at the top of the league assisted by his performance - why shouldn't he be recalled?

He jas indeed fought his way back into the team after being dropped srom the squad completely. And since then Real have been making up ground, and are now in pole position, says a lot about Cappello admitting he was wrong and being big enough to do so, as well as Beckham's play since coming back, and all accounts have him as Real's best player during this time.

P. K. I have to say as a neutral, your post seems highly biased against BEckham.

The goals scored I posted were from England games. In 95 appearences for his country Beckham has scored only one goal from open play. That's one. One only. Uno Digito. You do understand that don't you Fatty?

I suspect your "diver" tag refers to Gerrard? The same Gerrard who made some vital and outstanding tackles in the Brazil game? I noted how many tackles Beckham made in the same effort. Guess how many Fatty? Here are some words to help you arrive at the right conclusion. None, zip, zero, buggar all, not one, none at all, nil, a complete blank.

I'm not biased against Beckham as a player per se, I just think that you can't afford to have someone in the side who won't get stuck in. Now I hope that Beckham produces crosses that results in goals tonight. Everyone praised his effort that helped Terry score BUT don't anyone be naiive enough to think that others can't do it either. And that's the point. You need everyone giving 100%. Beckham doesn't.

I, of course, because 'diving in' for tackles is exactly what you do when you are up against Ronaldinho, isn' it.

Why make comparisons with players in different positions? It's a bit like saying...'Owen was shite tonight, he didn't make one save'.

Gerrard (being at his peak)should be better than Beckham, who is in the latter years of his career.

Beckham is back because of his current club form. Which should be the only factor. It's up to the young pretenders to prove that they can do a better job. Which, at the moment, they are far from doing.

I, of course, because 'diving in' for tackles is exactly what you do when you are up against Ronaldinho, isn' it.

Why make comparisons with players in different positions? It's a bit like saying...'Owen was shite tonight, he didn't make one save'.

Gerrard (being at his peak)should be better than Beckham, who is in the latter years of his career.

Beckham is back because of his current club form. Which should be the only factor. It's up to the young pretenders to prove that they can do a better job. Which, at the moment, they are far from doing.

McLaren should just take all the U-21 lads and play them for the senior squad. They played with skill and verve last night that the "senior" squad could do well to match....Ok the opposition wasnt the best....but Macedonia anyone???

The reason why England have done nothing for years is because the players have no pride. The majority of players play better for their clubs because they get paid by their clubs and will get dropped if they dont perform well thus decreasing their value as a player.

On paper England have the players to be consistently in the top 4 international teams in the world. In reality I doubt they would make the top 20.

All the England players talk crap about how playing for their country is brilliant, complete bollocks if you ask me. I havent seen pride since Stuart Pearce and Tony Adams.

Why make comparisons with players in different positions?

You mean like comparing Beckham to the other two midfielders? Errrrr wait a minute....

Then why is Beckham in the side?

The reason why England have done nothing for years is because the players have no pride. All the England players talk crap about how playing for their country is brilliant, complete bollocks if you ask me. I havent seen pride since Stuart Pearce and Tony Adams.

Agreed. They look like the prima-donna millionaires they are going through the motions. That's why I would like to see players like Joey Barton in the side.

That's why I would like to see players like Joey Barton in the side.

Yeah as he's a genius world beater isnt he???

How about putting some genuine young talent in the squad (see above post) as opposed to some thug just to shake the establishment up...I see where you are coming from but I would rather see the old guard millionairs shook out of their slumber by hungry talented youngsters than fist happy scallies!

Why make comparisons with players in different positions?

You mean like comparing Beckham to the other two midfielders? Errrrr wait a minute....

Even you should be able to differentiate between the roles of each position. I would say he was equally as effective (in fact seeing as he had an assist, even more so) than his team mate on the left.

Then why is Beckham in the side?

See above post re: 'time for the young pretenders....' etc

Agreed. They look like the prima-donna millionaires they are going through the motions. That's why I would like to see players like Joey Barton in the side.
:lol: Enough said really.

:lol: Enough said really.

Exactly. He's hard but more importantly he's hungry. Which is why I also want to see the likes of Lennon, Downing and Shorey making the current incumbants (because unfortunately that's what they are) work for their place in the side for a change. But more importantly they should want to. Something they don't currently do. The youngsters have a future. The likes of Beckham haven't. That's the difference.

Archived