[BBC News] Residents are urged to buckle up

Newsbot

I almost never wear my seatbelt I find them an unnecessary inconvenience rather than a useful safety precaution. I'm aware that I'm breaking the law, but I don't remember the last time I heard of someone being fined for it.

I am unlikely to go flying through my windscreen. I consider the risk that I'm trapped in the wreckage by my seatbelt to be more likely so I'm playing the percentages.

What in incredibly stupid comment, if you were playing the percentages then you would wear a seatbelt.

The chances of losing your life due to being trapped in the wreckage are very small compared to the chances of being killed through not wearing a seatbelt at all. I'm surprised at you ans, you don't generally argue on the side of people who have a peice of string connecting their mittens together.

I figured it'd be pushing my luck to carry on flouting the law.

Which would, of course, be totally out of character! :lol:

P.s. As a taxi driver, I'm exempt from wearing one and therefore have the choice. Around town, I don't usually bother but, once outside of it, I tend to buckle up in case I happen to meet one of Manx Forums speed freaks coming the other way!

P.s. As a taxi driver, I'm exempt from wearing one and therefore have the choice.

WTF - why are taxi drivers exempt?

Yep. They are also exempt from using indicators, following the instructions on road signs, no stopping restrictions. In fact all road laws it would seem ;)

I almost never wear my seatbelt I find them an unnecessary inconvenience rather than a useful safety precaution. I'm aware that I'm breaking the law, but I don't remember the last time I heard of someone being fined for it.

Must admit I never wear one in town either. Can't be arsed. If I'm stopped I'll pay the fine. I've got airbags so guess having a belt on as well is a waste of time and effort.

On the question of why Taxi drivers are exempt - probably because most of them are too fat and immobile to get a belt around them without dying of asthma.

You won't hear of people getting fined for not wearing a seatbelt, unless it's someone you know, they give you a fixed penalty ticket of £40, i'd know i got stopped an un marked police car a couple of months ago for not wearing one.

I am unlikely to go flying through my windscreen. I consider the risk that I'm trapped in the wreckage by my seatbelt to be more likely so I'm playing the percentages.

You might be unlikely to go flying through the windscreen, but if you have a crash and you airbag goes of when you are not wearing your setbelt, you will end up with a broken neck.

And i've always wondered why taxi drivers are excempt?

When I learned to drive, I was told that you were allowed to remove your seatbelt if you were reversing. I never really questioned it, until my other half was issued with a fine for not wearing his seatbelt after he had taken it off to reverse into a space. When he informed the WPC what he had been taught, he was told it was a "grey area" and that it was up to the PC concerned.

Ref Taxi Drivers, it only applies when they are "the drivers of taxis which are being used for seeking hire, or answering a call for hire, or carrying a passenger for hire".

So if they are on their way home or taking the family out (who aren't paying) or driving it at all when not working, then they need their seatbelt on.......

Archived