[BBC News] Residents are urged to buckle up

Newsbot

IIRC the fatality in a recent mountain road crash was caused by failure of a back seat passenger to' buckle up' - breaking neck of the driver. I believe that re seat belt days many drivers sufferred severere (usually fatal) chest injuries due to hitting the steeering wheel.

I always wear my seatbelt without a second thought. I was unfortunate enough a number of years ago to be involved in an accident where the seatbelt saved my life, since that, I wear it always, even a two mintue drive. Clunk Click.

However, you would be advised, if intending to travel more than 100mph, not to wear your seatbelt due to the unknown forces that may come into play. You may need to swiftly grab your sword and fend off the "demons of a Ton" probably.

I assumed Ans was joking, but he's getting a bit too convincing...!

A good troll always is ;)

I'm pretty sure delivery drivers are exempt as well as taxi drivers, anyone know?

For the record, my kids wont let me drive off unless I have my belt on.

I'm pretty sure delivery drivers are exempt as well as taxi drivers, anyone know?

I think they have to be doing "local" deliveries, or some such thing, which I assume means the likes of milkmen, etc, rather that someone driving from Douglas to Port Erin to deliver a fridge.

I resisted wearing a seatbelt for a number of years after the law came in, but eventually some friends that work in A&E and the trauma wards eventually convinced me to wear one

Exemptions from seat belt wearing (UK LAW)

The legislation provides for a number of specific exemptions from the seat belt wearing requirements on medical and other grounds. Please consult your doctor if you think you should not wear a seat belt on medical grounds.

As for the others these include:-

"(B) the driver of or a passenger in a motor vehicle constructed or adapted for carrying goods, while on a journey which does not exceed 50 metres and which is undertaken for the purpose of delivering or collecting any thing;

© a person driving a vehicle while performing a manoeuvre which includes reversing;

(d) a qualified driver (within the meaning given by regulation 9 of the Motor Vehicles (Driving Licences) Regulations 1987) who is supervising the holder of a provisional licence (within the meaning of Part III of the Act) while that holder is performing a manoeuvre which includes reversing;

(e) a person by whom, as provided in the Motor Vehicles (Driving Licences) Regulations 1987, a test of competence to drive is being conducted and his wearing a seat belt would endanger himself or any other person;

(f) a person driving or riding in a vehicle while it is being used for fire brigade or police purposes or for carrying a person in lawful custody (a person who is being so carried being included in this exemption);

(g) the driver of—

(i) a licensed taxi while it is being used for seeking hire, or answering a call for hire, or carrying a passenger for hire, or

(ii) a private hire vehicle while it is being used to carry a passenger for hire;

(h) a person riding in a vehicle, being used under a trade licence, for the purpose of investigating or remedying a mechanical fault in the vehicle;

(j) a disabled person who is wearing a disabled person's belt; or

(k) a person riding in a vehicle while it is taking part in a procession organised by or on behalf of the Crown."

I am old enough to remember when seatbelts were not fitted to cars as a matter of course, let alone when they became law to wear, and as a kid I always thought a seatbelt was really cool and a car that had one was real posh. I always wear a seatbelt by habit, it's automatic - turn ignition, wiggle gear lever, click in seat belt, release handbrake and move off (perhaps looking in the RV mirror too!).

Archived