Terrorists Use Google

Amadeus

Britain Says Troops In Iraq Attacked By Terrorists Using Google Earth Maps

London, Britain (AHN) - An official from Google said the company would be willing to listen to the concerns that any government might have over new maps the company makes available on its Web site. That statement came after Britain alleged that the new Google Earth maps were being used by terrorists to launch attacks on British troops in Iraq.

British Army intelligence sources have said that guerrillas or terrorists attacking British bases located in the Iraqi city of Basra are using Google Earth maps to pinpoint their attacks.

Documents seized during operations on the hideouts of insurgents last week reportedly found print-outs from photographs taken from Google Earth, The Telegraph newspaper reported.

"This is evidence as far as we are concerned for planning terrorist attacks. Who would otherwise have Google Earth imagery of one of our bases?" an intelligence officer told the newspaper.

A Google spokesman, reacting on the intelligence reports, said that the information could be used for 'good and bad' and was available to the public in many forms.

Buy your bomb ingredients with Froogle, pick a target with Google Earth, get there with Google maps, edit pictures of the day with Picasa, and find them again with Google picture search - surely, Larry and Sergey must be on the way to Guantanamo already.. :ph34r:

I could only imagine there are terrabytes of data on Iraq - probably filtered down from the US military satellites and other sources, can't see the US taking a huge interest in Port Erin, unless the 'School of Hospitality' gains rumours of being a terrorist training camp......

Maybe if we want better Google images of the IOM, we could perhaps rename a few of the local villages and places (Allahsalla, Allahbeg, Allahmodha etc).

Also I would imagine Baghdad has many more cloud free days per year than anywhere on the IOM, so that might also go towards having a better resolution!

According to the BBC:

"One of the alleged 21 July bombers would have learned about rates of reaction in substances when he studied chemistry at college, a court heard. Woolwich Crown Court heard from Yassin Omar's former teacher how the course he took in 1998-99 covered how different factors can affect reaction rates. Notes from the GNVQ intermediate chemistry course taken by Mr Omar were recovered from his north London home.

...teacher at Enfield College, told the court that when the student had taken the course, the syllabus included rates of reaction and "looking at the effects of temperature, the use of catalysts, to increase the rate of reaction". They would find out if they increase the concentration, that would increase the rate", she said'.

FFS! ...is this newsworthy? Doesn't this cover anyone who has ever studied chemistry? If your kids are using Google and studying GNVQ or GCSE chemistry - you'd better keep an eye on them and report all of their activities - as they are two key bits of evidence.

If this can be accepted as 'evidence' it is worrying for the rest of us who have studied any chemistry. I hope it is just journalism standards reaching yet another all time low.

From my reading on the case there is a heck of a lot more evidence than just the suspect studying chemistry.

His studying of chemistry hasn't been "accepted as evidence" its been used to back up evidence that he ran a bomb making factory using litres of Hydrogen Peroxide etc.

From my reading on the case there is a heck of a lot more evidence than just the suspect studying chemistry.

His studying of chemistry hasn't been "accepted as evidence" its been used to back up evidence that he ran a bomb making factory using litres of Hydrogen Peroxide etc.

I don't disagree that there is evidence against them, and I am not defending them. My point was that of all the news available about the case earlier in the day - the BBC chose to cover their former school teacher covering what any chemistry student will have learned about in school. That is not news...and is a sign of bad journalism.

Archived