[BBC News] Group calls for transport forum

Newsbot

seems entirely reasonable to me

There in lies the problem. You may see it as reasonable whilst others may not. Reasonableness is not a test of what an individual considers correct it is a test of what is correct for society. Ever heard of the man on the Clapham omnibus?

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ah "that" bloke, sorry you're losing me here. What does fare dodging have to do with private vehicles blocked the public highway?

I’m sensing that you do not understand what I’m saying. I’m neither for nor against your idea, I’m merely trying to highlight the creditability of it all. Exaggerating an exaggeration does not form an actual position, it merely makes a proposition more ridiculous.

Perhaps Copycat should join MCB on a Clapham omnibus.

Actually, the man on the Clapham omnibus was a test of reasonableness espoused by Lord Denning. A great judge, but also one who irritated the hell out of the legal establishment. Are there any similar judges nowadays, or was he the last of the truly pioneering judges who carried their role of interpretation of law into creation?

Thanks Charles, but Judge John Deed isn't real!

Just done a Google and it was not Denning but Greer who postulated the man on the Clapham omnibus, although I am sure Denning famously quoted it. For anyone interested, worth Googling Lord Denning quotes and then you will see what a fine mind, sense of humour and justice old twinkle eyes had.

When studying case law, we would read judgements (usually very dry and mind numbing) and look forward to the Denning judgement; easier to read, often, but also likely to turn everything you had just assimilated on its head!

Judges should be paid on a "No win. No fee" basis depending on which side you are on.

It works for the mafia.

The Bush family appointed their own and look what has happened.

Bus from the airport last night - given the weather it crossed my mind that it would have been nice to check the timetable inside, so agree with previous posts in that it's trivial, but nonetheless very true.

Off the bus in Victoria street to connect to the prom buses - crossed my mind what a good spot the sea terminal is as a stop, and given that it's on a roundabout it connects both ways (if you see what I mean!) - absolutely great idea, loved it when I saw it posted, why has no one thought of it before. Now someone's thought of it why isn't it already done?

Got to the Loch prom stops - crossed my mind to check which stop my bus arrives at.

Would you believe that there were no timetables posted. No one queuing for a bus (not surprising given lack of info) - I wonder, do buses still stop there at all?

Just a grumble, but if a watchdog is in existence this thread seemed a quick way to draw it to their attention.

Thanks John.

Watchdog is still being formed. Not before time in my opinion. Your comments and any others will be brought to their attention and to the authorities.

Last year I was in Liverpool at Lime St and wanted to go the airport. I waited some 50 minutes for the bus which didn't appear as per their timetable. Eventually to avoid missing my flight I gathered the other passengers together and we arranged taxis.

It seems public transport operators are a law unto themselves.

Due legal process has to be based on reasonableness. What you suggest would fail any test of reasonableness.

It's totally unfair to suggest that there should be any degree of 'reasonableness' in a copycat posting.

Perhaps Copycat should join MCB on a Clapham omnibus.

Actually, the man on the Clapham omnibus was a test of reasonableness espoused by Lord Denning. A great judge, but also one who irritated the hell out of the legal establishment. Are there any similar judges nowadays, or was he the last of the truly pioneering judges who carried their role of interpretation of law into creation?

Lord Denning was a great character and I have no doubt that, for the most part, he had the best of intentions. Be that as it may, it is the role of judges in the English legal system (and those based on it) to interpret the law as it stands: not to make it up as they see fit. Of course, there is something emotionally appealing about a judge doing his best to see that natural justice is served, even if it means ignoring the accepted interpretations of the law, but there are good reasons why this must be avoided.

Certainly, it is accepted that judges can act 'interstitially' i.e. to fill in gaps in the existing law so that a case can be concluded. But it is for parliament - not the executive or the judiciary - to legislate in new areas, or to amend existing laws. Separation of powers should be upheld above all else, lest we follow the route of the US, in which this separation has been dangerously eroded by the enormous power the executive has over the other branches of government. The judiciary has a part to play, and we should vigorously defend they right to play it.

Furthermore, one of the big advantages of the English legal system over the Roman law systems of continental Europe is that it can (theoretically at least) give a degree of certainty over the outcome to prospective litigants (or defendants). As the amount of discretion given to the judge is increased, so this certainty decreases which is not good for anyone (except the lawyers).

A bit off topic, but I feel duty-bound to roll out my Denning mini-rant whenever his name is mentioned. Don't even get me started on Judge John Deed... :)

There have been transport forums organised a number of times over recent years. Usually, they involve people such as the Douglas Development Initiative (or whatever they're called nowadays), the RTLC, Directors of bus companies and other such 'experts.'

Surprisingly (?) they have achieved very little.

IMO, such a forum would only be useful if it included not only representatives of those groups who use public transport, but also of those who work within it. I don't normally approve of 'talking shops', because too many of them are geared towards propping up individual egos rather then planning and preparing realistically for the future needs of transport - both public and private.

I would therefpre like to know who these '15 people' are, what their particular interest in such matters might be, and what degree of expertise they can realistically be expected to bring to the discussions.

Archived