Onchan Commissioners Election Jan 18th

www.theislandinsider.co.uk

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Anyone know how this is going? With the bad weather I imagine the turnout may be quite low.

Just got result

Kelly 640ish

Babb 420ish

Dosser and Mcdowell in 100s with about 20 votes between them

ML

That's a respectable result for Steve Babb. However, you don't have to be elected to serve the community, and there are lots of opportunties to still stay in the public eye and make a real difference, such as joining/supporting various local organisations/facilities. I'm sure if he perseveres he'll eventually get elected. Politics is a 'career', and people have to realise that they usually need to serve a 'visibility apprenticeship' to get their political career off the ground - and sometimes this can take a few years. People know who he is now - and that will provide such opportunities if he wishes to take them.

Not bad for three months work, but lose the momentum and the visibility, and IMO you quickly lose the respect of the voters. They tend to remember that for the next election.

I didn't get Steve's manifesto or McDowells.... Although I heard Steve on the radio.! Hard luck on the result thou, Keep at it though!! Although the turn out was only 22%.. If the weather had have been better......!!

Thanks for the support. I'm actually very pleased with the result. I hadn't realised June was proposed and supported so heavily by David Quirk, fair play to him he spent most of the day on the polls and actively worked to get as much support for his candidate as possible, can't knock anyone for that.

So 425 votes that I know were just for me and my ideas is something I'm proud of. That and family life meaning I didn't get chance to do much campaigning, I only got my manifestos out last weekend.

With our next baby due any day now, it is possibly the best result all round. June is a lovely person and I am sure she will be a good addition to the team at Onchan.

For those who correctly pointed out you don't need to be on the Commissioners to help the village, I agree whole heartedly and I hope there are plenty of others around the village who realise the same and do what they can to help.

The next thing on the horizon for me, after the baby of course, is to try to get Onchan, Laxey and Ramsey Commissioners to support a Share a Car scheme in their areas. With most of the cars queuing on the main road in Onchan each morning, mostly all going to a car park within half a mile of each other, and mostly coming from houses within half a mile of each other or somewhere on the orute into Douglas, it would be a really great thing if we could persuade some of them to share the car journey each day.

You never know, it might even save them some money too.

But well done June, I'm backing you all the way.

I find that result somewhat remarkable in that from an area which is the biggest housing estate on the Island and is the second largest area of population can only come up with, it seems, under 1500 people who could be arsed to vote.

I don't think this has anything to do with the standard of candidate, good or bad, but pure and simply that most people in Onchan don't really give a flying fuck what goes on as long as their bin gets emptied.

OK, so the weather was very bad but as most people drive everywhere now and every candidate offered to pick people up and bring them, that's no excuse, imo.

Having voted in every Onchan election since I've been able to, I feel at the moment that it would serve Onchan right if it was taken over by Local Government who then erected a statue of a fallic symbol right in the middle of the Village ---------- and then call it Onchans Cock.

Imo, it's nothing short of a disgusting show of the Onchan people and yet they will still carry on whinging and whining.

And before anyone asks, My family have lived in Onchan for over 120 years. I haven't, though seeing that turn out makes me wonder.

Hard luck Steve. Hard luck Andrew.

I have to say, though, that however well-intentioned your choice of method for delivering manifestos may have been, it clearly didn't work very well. Perhaps there's a lesson to be learnt from that? Everything about every campaign has to be done in a professional and competent manner if you hope to impress potential voters.

I don't think this has anything to do with the standard of candidate, good or bad, but pure and simply that most people in Onchan don't really give a flying fuck what goes on as long as their bin gets emptied.

I'm a Douglas ratepayer, and to be honest, I'm not sure that getting my bin emptied isn't my highest priority either!

Well done everybody.

I am interested to note that two of you paid people to deliver leaflets and manifestos, what's wrong with getting out and delivering them yourselves? If you're too busy to do so, it begs the question about whether you'll be too busy to do any constituency work when it is needed?

Also, how come no cap on amount to spend on elections, is that really democratic and favours the wealthier candidate?

This is not a dig at anyone as I don't live in Onchan. I feel to raise one's head above the parapet does call for some strength of character and not a little nerve, but both these practises are lillegal in other countries. Anyone have any views? (ducks)

Archived