More Houses

FCMR

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply
All these pathetic thoughts go through my mind when I think about owning my own house.  I don't earn nearly enough money so it's probably not even worth wasting my time thinking about, I'll just wait for me Dad to pop in clogs in about 50 years time.

Must admit I've not heard of that one (I like it though - does a tent count as a house? You could then apply for 'extensions' to build onto it at your leisure!) but being in the same situation I get silly ideas too, like buying an old artic truck & doing out the trailer. You'd have more living space in an artic trailer I reckon than in a first time buyer house, be able to 'move house' at will, and it'd cost a small fraction of the quivalent house! Crazy? Perhaps not that crazy.....

I read somewhere that there was an old Manx Law which stated that anyone who builds a house in a single day and lights a fire in the hearth by nightfall, can claim the house as their own and live there happily ever after.
Not sure if its just Manx... see seris 1of the BBC Poldark TV Show.

Terran

I read somewhere that there was an old Manx Law which stated that anyone who builds a house in a single day and lights a fire in the hearth by nightfall, can claim the house as their own and live there happily ever after.
Not sure if its just Manx... see seris 1of the BBC Poldark TV Show.

Terran

It's a good job most new builds have gas fired heating then.

It's a nice idea, but in practice its pretty hard to live that way. No mains services, no permenant address, nowhere to park it every night without getting moved on, etc.

Not necessarily, stick some solar panels on the roof & a little wind turbine, a generator only costs a couple of hundred for a semi decent one too & costs naff all to run.

Parking might be a bit tricky but you'd park it out of town & then just come in to work on a scooter or the bus or something.

A good mate of mine is away at uni at the moment and he's living in a camper van!! Seems to be quite enjoying too! (Rather him than me though).

My folks are building their own house at the mo, it's taken a while to get through planning etc (was contested, then again, and when the independant guy came over he said he couldn't see a problem at all.. hmm).

Incidentally, it's a log cabin shipped over from America, if you can get the land it's cheaper than building a proper-looking house (and it's all loggy and cosy in the winter!).

Incidentally, it's a log cabin shipped over from America, if you can get the land it's cheaper than building a proper-looking house (and it's all loggy and cosy in the winter!).

Now there's a good idea - don't know what the fascination is in the British Isles for brick homes etc. Go to a lot of other countries and wood homes are the norm outside the city centres.

Wonder if more of the US-style homes could get past planning - fibreglass roofing that looks like shingles (lasts 20-30 years, but cheap and easy to put up), siding on top of marine ply sheeting with a membrane and high-level insulation, etc.

An entertaining notion is that we are currently renting a pretty bog standard house... for our cabin there were the most amazing amount of strict fire regulations to go through, with a lot of windows (and doors obv.) being allocated as fire escapes.

In the house we are renting it is quite obvious such regulations are non-existent (and this is a 2-storey, cabin is one) and this house is more likely to go up in a flash compared to a log cabin in a fire. Just to stress, I'm not saying this is shoddily build (doesn't appear to be anyway), but perhaps something to think about.

Oh, and it looks xxxxxxx fantastic :P

Now there's a good idea - don't know what the fascination is in the British Isles for brick homes etc. Go to a lot of other countries and wood homes are the norm outside the city centres.

Wonder if more of the US-style homes could get past planning - fibreglass roofing that looks like shingles (lasts 20-30 years, but cheap and easy to put up), siding on top of marine ply sheeting with a membrane and high-level insulation, etc.

Seen the damage done by the recent hurricanes in Florida??

Maybe the yanks should be building their homes from brick??

I think some of the reasoning of the US style builds, is that most of them only last 20-30 years, then have to be pulled down & new one's built - maybe it's a keep up with the Jones' type thing - i don't know?

I think it's good that they're built from renewable resources, but i think I would rather our "traditional" brick buildings and have something more than just a plot that I could hand down to future generations.

Mind you maybe some of our recent first time buyers houses might not make the 20-30 year mark perhaps??

• 2 weeks later...
(Alledgedly) 600 on the waiting lists for first time buyers, more being priced out of the market day by day, Over 400 plots awaiting for the Planning Department...

Up to date figure released...

"The number of first-time buyers on the government's register has almost reached 900.

Local Government Minister John Rimington revealed the figure in an answer to one of a series of written questions in Tynwald." Source: Manx Radio

Good news is that "It has been confirmed that over 700 public sector houses will be built in the next four years"

Although of course, there is a 'but...'

"Although around half of those are replacement homes for already run down buildings, in areas such as Pulrose and Janet's Corner."

For those who were almost jumping with joy at the prospect of the current housing requirements being 77.8% satisfied (allowing for no increased demand during the next 4 years) and are now wondering what on earth DoLGE are playing at, take heart that you are no alone...

"The issue has been misunderstood and it was believed the majority of the properties would be brand new.

Minister for Local Government, John Rimington, is uncertain why that happened."

Source: Manx Radio

What the Lord giveth, he can also taketh awayeth

Allow me to enlighten you:

It's because the island is run by a bunch of selfish pocket lining morons.

I wonder how many public sector houses could have been build from mount murray inquiry fees, misawarded grants, iris overspends, hospital overspends, bungled pension investments, suspended civil servants, scores of unneeded consultants and jollys away to the USA with the boys?

Archived