Another Slag Off

Manxman In Exile

Did she change her mind or something?

Actress Zellweger praises island

Oscar-winning actress Renee Zellweger has been paying tribute to the Isle of Man after filming scenes for her new film about Beatrix Potter.

AFAIK the BBC news links usually originate from an Isle of Man psychophant at Manx Radio. I note the article is from April last year.

When this film was featured on ITV at the movies last night, complete with Renee interview, there wasn't one word of the Isle of Man.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Did she change her mind or something?

Actress Zellweger praises island

Oscar-winning actress Renee Zellweger has been paying tribute to the Isle of Man after filming scenes for her new film about Beatrix Potter.

AFAIK the BBC news links usually originate from an Isle of Man psychophant at Manx Radio. I note the article is from April last year.

When this film was featured on ITV at the movies last night, complete with Renee interview, there wasn't one word of the Isle of Man.

On the Renee Zellweger fan website there is a comment referring to her denouncing the island during a radio 2 interview. I assume this could be 'the weekender' programme but I can't get my player to play the 'listen again' section for this programme.

There again, I suspect maybe she didn't and people are assuming that her talking about a shitty cow shed is the same as slagging off the island. Rumour mill in action perhaps.

She's damned lucky to be working here and especially in the Lake District.

If she doesn't like it then poor old her. But then, isn't that why she's paid so well for doing something of such little importance?

And why a non-brit is playing the role of Beatrix Potter astounds me anyway.

She'd be far better off staying at home and enjoying another exciting fun packed month in Katy, Texas

I really have little time for American whingers.

Well, for an 'A' list celebrity there is very little to do here during any rest periods but take in the scenery.

There is no entertainment worth seeing, no decent clubs, nothing much to do passively, that is without a great deal of organisation.

Hotels generally are not up to much.

Sound's a bit like tourism or life on the Island generally?

I know the Island Government makes a contribution to these films, but I have never seen any figures calculating real or estimated payback. Does the government get a stake in the proceeds for the investment? A few p/t catering jobs and extras does not seem an adequate return. Any info would be appreciated.

In the UK, some subsidised films offer free tickets to cinema goers prior to release, to encourage the marketing. Does this ever happen on the Island?

I recall Tony Robinson saying at the start of the Time Team programme that the Isle of Man is a very special place.

It is very special. There are few places in the world where money is worshipped so much we welcome with open arms so many people who are dodging tax from their home countries or who have vast sums of money from dubious means.

Where the locals are unable to afford housing because the dodgy millionaires and itinerant fortune seekers push the cost of houses up so much.

Regarding the films. The Industry does at least keep some of the local pykey types a form of employment that prevents them from going on the rob otherwise. It also gives them an opportunity to introduce the local drug dealers to some new clientele too.

Im glad she seems to have taken a dim view...last thing we need is her encouraging her fellow fat fuckwit countrymen to come here...leave well alone IMHO

I disagree entirely. I have little time for the present administration in the US but American tourists, especially the sort that would be interested in a relatively subtle place such as the IOM (who are unlikely to be Bermuda shorts wearing, Nikon clicking types), should be welcomed with open arms. There was a survey done by a travel company a couple of years ago which showed that American tourists were the most polite in the world.

The least polite were the Brits.

I recall Tony Robinson saying at the start of the Time Team programme that the Isle of Man is a very special place.

I totally agree with him

But is the Isle of Man any more special than anywhere else? Picking places at random: Barbados, New Zealand, Australia, Himalayas, Brixton? As Manks people we say, yes! but in the eyes of the rest of the world what have we got to offer? err.. beautiful scenery, err... low taxes... err.. oh, no, there are lower tax places where at least the skies are blue.... errr....

And let's face it, the perception of a place is the most important. It could be paradise, but if it gets a bad press, then it is bad and people will stay away.

She doesn't say the Island is "dumpy", just a cow shed. Cow shed's are "dumpy" - it's kind of the nature of the thing.

Are we really so unselfconfident that even criticism of our barns is a cause for national neurosis?

BUT...

The Mail on Sunday reports it as: "She also called the Isle of Man 'a dumpy spot'"

That is a direct quote from the paper.

It says that it is the Island that is the dumpy spot, and that is the publicity we get, whatever she may have meant. Later on she refers to the cow shed, but you have to stick with the article to see this.

Archived