Another Slag Off

Manxman In Exile

Who cares about anything that is written in that hideous publication the Daily Mail / Mail on Sunday anyway?

I don't hate many things, but if I'd ran out of loo roll, I'd rather wipe my arse with my hand than either of those not-even-fit-to-be-bog-paper rags...

^_^

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Who cares about anything that is written in that hideous publication the Daily Mail / Mail on Sunday anyway?

^_^

Lots of potential tourists to the Island.

Yeah right because one relies on the spoutings of some overpaid pompous actor/actress/celebrity to determine where you go on holiday....if its not from the mouth og Judith Charmers I dont give it the time of day!!!

Get real.

She doesn't say the Island is "dumpy", just a cow shed. Cow shed's are "dumpy" - it's kind of the nature of the thing.

Are we really so unselfconfident that even criticism of our barns is a cause for national neurosis?

BUT...

The Mail on Sunday reports it as: "She also called the Isle of Man 'a dumpy spot'"

That is a direct quote from the paper.

It says that it is the Island that is the dumpy spot, and that is the publicity we get, whatever she may have meant. Later on she refers to the cow shed, but you have to stick with the article to see this.

I think Rene would have done more damage if she'd told Mail on Sunday readers we were like Britain in the fifties, but without black faces, speed limits, high taxation, or a need to lock the door. We'd have been inundated with the bastards.

However, my point was more who cares, we like the Island but we can't expect everyone to - people like different things. So there's no need to get hung up on the thoughts of someone from a different world who was only here briefly to work.

When I was having breakfast in the 101 Coffee Shop in L.A. (if your ever there check out the breakfast burrito - its huge and comes smothered in salsa and guacamole and sour cream) RZ came in with MD. They sat at the next table facing me. She saw my IOM shirt and asked where I was from - we had a chat about the film industry and I told here JD, AS, JM etc had been here. They seemed like ordinary people there was no pretenions and no "hey don't talk to us we are film stars"

I told her all about the IOM. I showed her my passport and driving licence and when I asked she was happy to give me her address - when I got home I posted her an IOM calender and a Manx cat postcard. I've still got her address but don't think I should post it up cos don't think she would appreciate it.

She said she often goes to the 101 when she is in town ...apparently lots of others (film people etc) go there too...check it out if your ever there in L.A. you might be lucky too.

Also the hotel is okay and relatively cheap and within easy walking distance of Hollywood Boulevard

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g3...California.html

http://book.bestwestern.com/bestwestern/pr...Code=05204#null

anymore hotel / holiday info on this and I'll be a travel consultant...

I think we should blame MCB (that's Copycat, Jagman) is clearly to blame for this bad publicity for the Island. Clearly, Rene was so brainwashed by MCB's tales of dogshit mountains, fagbutt heaps, overflowing litter bins and unenforced by-laws that when looked at the beauty of the Island all she saw was a "dumpy place".

I told her all about the IOM. I showed her my passport and driving licence and when I asked she was happy to give me her address - when I got home I posted her an IOM calender and a Manx cat postcard.

Thought you were talking about a copper til I checked the start of your post. Careful, you know she's married people on flimsier grounds than a couple of souvenirs.

Archived