Its All Kicking Off At The Airport.

spanna

Airport looks closed at the moment.

Been a bit of an incident. One of those little Manx2 let410s was lifted up in the air by the wind as it sat at the hold.

Looked like the wing hit the ground which stopped it tiping right over. The 2 passengers were bused off, not sure if they were injured or not, Im assuming not or it would have been an Ambulance.

It happened about an hour ago and its still sitting on the taxiway so not sure when the planes will start going or landing again.

Roxanne, those types still fly in and out of here (Blue Island fly them J31s to Channel islands I think) So you can have a trip down memory lane if u like. hahaha

Airport is open again as far as I can tell.. 1 plane has managed to get itself down.

The post incident operation sounded like it went swimmingly... not.

first of all the airport fire brigade took 5 minutes to get there and seemed in no particular rush (Im hoping they had been told there wasnt any immediate danger or something) then they decided to park downwind of the plane.. but only after the plane started to tip over again did a bright spark move the fire truck round to shelter the plane. After about 20 minutes a tow truck thing came along to turn the plane but proceded to pull the planes front end into the mud then got itself stuck. so a jcb was sent down

to get the plane and tow truck out... :rolleyes:

ps. if that manx radio troll is looking at this it was more than a "slight" tip.. .. the right wheels off the ground and the wings at more than 45 degrees thats not a slight tip in my book. Its a defo AAIB investigation. So nothing slight about it.

Manx Radio have updated their met office report stating force 10 - 11 again, I certainly wouldn't want to be in a plane like that where its so exposed!

the man on Radio Manx said thios morning "Hi! it is not going to be as bad as we first thought in old money" and things

He is alway jokey but not very and never amusing when weather is unusual.

These days I just look out the windown myself and say "Yeah, it is ok today Bieryes" or "Ah well, it is rainy and wind today so after woking stay in with Telly and record player" depending.

http://www.iom-airport.com/lib/docs/airpor...elease18107.pdf

No mention of the aircraft being tipped over tho.. hahahah :huh:

Am hearing a rumour that another aircraft was lifted up slightly on stand at the terminal with noone on board.

Edit: Confirmed now. The other Manx2 LET410 was lifted up by the wind from its right side at the terminal and its left wing hit the ground. It then stayed at that angle for around 20seconds before dropping back down.

Also the Manx2 metroliner was either lifted/shifted by the wind and its sustained nosewheel damage.

Not a good day for the Manx2 boys. Correct me if im wrong but thats their entire fleet done in.

I always feel a bit nervous on those little things in high winds.

The EuroManx to Liverpool just after Christmas was a bit bumpy to say the least - was very glad to see land at the other side. Oddly enough it was the smoothest landing I've ever had in any plane of any size - I wouldn't have known we'd landed until we stopped at the terminal if I hadn't been looking out of the window. Absolutely textbook. I'm starting on my PPL at the moment, so now I have a standard to aim for :)

*Note to self - don't leave light aircraft outside at Ronaldsway on a windy day*

*Note to self - stop deluding yourself into thinking you will ever be able to afford a light aircraft*

http://www.iom-airport.com/lib/docs/airpor...elease18107.pdf

No mention of the aircraft being tipped over tho.. hahahah :huh:

Am hearing a rumour that another aircraft was lifted up slightly on stand at the terminal with noone on board.

Edit: Confirmed now. The other Manx2 LET410 was lifted up by the wind from its right side at the terminal and its left wing hit the ground. It then stayed at that angle for around 20seconds before dropping back down.

Also the Manx2 metroliner was either lifted/shifted by the wind and its sustained nosewheel damage.

Not a good day for the Manx2 boys. Correct me if im wrong but thats their entire fleet done in.

WOW! You really have your finger on the pulse :o

*Note to self - stop deluding yourself into thinking you will ever be able to afford a light aircraft*

One of my mates has done his ppl and bought a cessna 172 for £20k. Whilst not an insignificant amount of money it isn't a vast fortune either, cheaper than many people's cars (not mine though, which is worth about 2p).

I always feel a bit nervous on those little things in high winds.

The EuroManx to Liverpool just after Christmas was a bit bumpy to say the least - was very glad to see land at the other side. Oddly enough it was the smoothest landing I've ever had in any plane of any size - I wouldn't have known we'd landed until we stopped at the terminal if I hadn't been looking out of the window. Absolutely textbook. I'm starting on my PPL at the moment, so now I have a standard to aim for :)

*Note to self - don't leave light aircraft outside at Ronaldsway on a windy day*

Strangely a smooth landing in bad conditions can be the wrong thing to do. :blink:

I read an accident report from last year where the pilot got blamed for landing too soft!. :huh: It was to do with heavy rain and standing water which ment cus he landed so smooth the wheels aquaplaned as soon as they touched down and the plane then cudnt brake and went off the end of the runway. If conditions are like that your ment to aim to land with a bump which gives the wheels a knock so they rotate then the special treds can work and shift the water so the tires can grip the runway.

ps.your not deluding yourself.. I predict two let410s coming on the market soon for a giveaway price. :lol:

One of my mates has done his ppl and bought a cessna 172 for £20k. Whilst not an insignificant amount of money it isn't a vast fortune either, cheaper than many people's cars (not mine though, which is worth about 2p).

Good price - had it previously had just 83 reckless owners? (the plane, not the car ;) )

Seriously, although that seems a particularly good bargain, there are a lot of decent planes on the market for under 50k. It's the ongoing costs that worry me - maintenance, fuel, equipment upgrades, storage etc etc: definitely a moneypit hobby! A brand new Cessna will set you back upwards of 150k :o

Was thinking of a planeshare scheme... should I go for the wings, or the engine? :lol:

Strangely a smooth landing in bad conditions can be the wrong thing to do. :blink:

I read an accident report from last year where the pilot got blamed for landing too soft!. :huh: It was to do with heavy rain and standing water which ment cus he landed so smooth the wheels aquaplaned as soon as they touched down and the plane then cudnt brake and went off the end of the runway. If conditions are like that your ment to aim to land with a bump which gives the wheels a knock so they rotate then the special treds can work and shift the water so the tires can grip the runway.

ps.your not deluding yourself.. I predict two let410s coming on the market soon for a giveaway price. :lol:

Wouldn't have though of that - clearly have a lot to learn! Fortunately it was dry - just windy/low cloud.

Call me superstitious if you like, but I think I'll pass on the let410s for now :lol:

Euromanx flight from London City took off despite the fact that nearly every other flight was cancelled. Unsurprisingly they couldn't land as it was too dangerous so were re-directed to Belfast where I'm told it felt like they were shot down as opposed to landed - after 2 hours flying. I know someone who was on the flight. Apparently the flight was all over the sky and was way past bumpy - dangerous I'm told. Some people were in tears afterwards and at least 3 people refused to re board the flight. Why on earth would Euromanx take a chance and fly in such conditions and subject passengers to such uncomfortable and scary conditions when other carriers sensibly delayed or cancelled their flights?

Archived