Trip Down Memory Lane!

hannahsmummy1

Wow, Pollsterblue, that is the first time I have seen anything of Summerland before the fire since it was burnt down. I suppose all these artefacts were hidden away after that awful evening. Please do as Ean suggests, I would really like to see the brochure.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

While we're waiting for that, can somebody help me.....please?

I recall there being three large hotels on the Queen's Promenade which have since disappeared due to 'development.' I can recall the 'Piccadilly' and the 'Continental.' But I'm damned if I can remember the name of the other one and it's driving me crazy! Help.....please?

That is great!!!! Thanks for taking the time to put these up, Pollsterblue.

I was born in 1973 so obviously never knew the place before the fire, but it seems to have been a pretty innovative place (given the decade and the fact that it was on the Island) and unsurprisingly lost a hell of a lot of atmosphere after the tragedy.

That is great!!!! Thanks for taking the time to put these up, Pollsterblue.

I was born in 1973 so obviously never knew the place before the fire, but it seems to have been a pretty innovative place (given the decade and the fact that it was on the Island) and unsurprisingly lost a hell of a lot of atmosphere after the tragedy.

I was born in 1971 and therefore I too was to young to remember the old Summerland. However during the period of 1980-1983 when I lived in Onchan I spent 3-4 nights a week in there on the arcade machines, roller-skating and watching the video jukebox. I was unaware of what had happened there less than 10 years previous. It was only until I found a postcard belonging to my stepfather in the mid 90-s that I became interested in the old summerland.

Amazing scans. The island had so much more going for it then & look at the kids' facilities. Summerland unsuprisingly turned into a rusting concrete hunk & it was the last we saw of the Pool Bar and the like after the disaster. Love the pleasingly-retro Sundome.

Says a lot that after 30 years of "prosperity" we've not got anything like its modern equivalent now.

Amazing scans. The island had so much more going for it then & look at the kids' facilities. Summerland unsuprisingly turned into a rusting concrete hunk & it was the last we saw of the Pool Bar and the like after the disaster. Love the pleasingly-retro Sundome.

Says a lot that after 30 years of "prosperity" we've not got anything like its modern equivalent now.

Aquadrome pool bar photo, I noticed in one of the pics (the b&w one) a snack bar. However I only ever remember seeing some red doors in that area as a kid. Does anyone know if these lead anywhere after the fire or where they just bricked up behind?

I recall there being three large hotels on the Queen's Promenade which have since disappeared due to 'development.' I can recall the 'Piccadilly' and the 'Continental.' But I'm damned if I can remember the name of the other one and it's driving me crazy! Help.....please?

Alexandre was the big one there originally. I suspect though it may have changed name to the Continental.

Alexandre was the big one there originally. I suspect though it may have changed name to the Continental.

Wasn't the Crescent Hotel there as well?

Edited to add: The Metropole.

Wasn't the Crescent Hotel there as well?

Left to right as you looked at the hotels - Alexandre, Metropole, Milnes Waverley with Dodsworths stuck on the end nearest Summer hill. The Crescent is now Paramount city, and Milnes Waverley is the Regency (I think!)

the falcon cliff is still there, albeit an office now... but at least it still has it original apperance, and the lift is still there... maybe in years to come they will change it back to a hotel and reopen the lift!

Archived