Election Looming For Two Places On Legislative Council

Theodolite

they have managed to choose a dj with no political experience whatsoever.

Democracy? What democracy?

Our government is now - officially - a laughing stock!

I have listened to him on the radio and I can confirm he is not a dj

BTW I can think of some MHKs voted in recently by the public who have no political experience

I think most people who go into the political arena for the first time have no political experience. Although I can say Juan has an extremely keen interest in Manx Politics, a caring interest in everything about the Isle of Man and those that live on it.

He will fill the seat professionally and i'm sure he will surprise the doubters. If his arse isn't the right shape for the seat then remember... in February it can all change.

We've had hundreds of phone-calls/texts/E-mails from people showing their support this afternoon, All the best I Say! Well done.

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why don't we give the guy a chance to prove himself, he has been elected fair and square.

The proof is now in the pudding for Mr Turner over the next eight months or so, but I wonder if he will have a bitter taste in his mouth regarding subvention, which according to the dictionary means;

1. Provision of help, aid, or support.

2. An endowment or a subsidy, as that given by a government to an institution for research; a grant of financial aid.

Interesting times lie ahead if you are a Politician :(

Last 10

Hopefully Juan will stick to what he is good at, that being taking up a cause and not letting go until the matter is resolved, he can be an awkward cuss !!

We are all quick to judge without seeing what he can bring to the post. As to having no political experience, do me a favour, take a look at some of the other elected twerps !

At least Juan can string a coherent sentence together !

When it was announced that Manx Radio were a financially failing business Mr Turner demanded resignations IoM Today Report. Which is a fair point.

Such matters will no doubt be under the spotlight in Tynwald.

In this case, what happened instead was Manx Radio now gets paid a lorra lorra wonga from the Manx Government.

Unless Mr Turner's ego can be sufficiently massaged to bed him in to the ways of the Tynwald Club (described by some members as being "the "best club in the world").

We shall see.

That may be the case but as I do not know him personally I can not add any specific comment except that having read some of the other comments on here the those qualities would appear to be applicable to the qualities that you might want in an MHK. In the odd interview I have heard Juan has also talked like an MHK in that if he is re elected in Feb then yes he has loads of ideas etc to bring forward. To me that is the roll of the MHK's and not the MLC's which as the upper chamber is a reviewing and revising chamber not a body to be introducing legislation.

To me the rolls of MHK and MLC are presently completely different. THE MLC's as I understand it have a revising and reviewing roll. They review the legislation that is put before the house. For that roll I want somebody in place who is used to reading and undetstanding legislation, legal documents, complicated contracts and picking out the holes or loopholes in them and understanding how they will effect us locally and internationally. From what I have seen and read it appears to me that some of the previous applicants had much greater experience in this area that Juan.

Hopefully Juan like all MHKs and MLCs will be a success in their roles but at present it appears that many seem to forget that we have two seperate houses and each have different roles and in my opinion they require different attributes and skill sets

Hopefully Juan will stick to what he is good at, that being taking up a cause and not letting go until the matter is resolved, he can be an awkward cuss !!

We are all quick to judge without seeing what he can bring to the post. As to having no political experience, do me a favour, take a look at some of the other elected twerps !

That may be the case but as I do not know him personally I can not add any specific comment except that having read some of the other comments on here the those qualities would appear to be applicable to the qualities that you might want in an MHK. In the odd interview I have heard Juan has also talked like an MHK in that if he is re elected in Feb then yes he has loads of ideas etc to bring forward. To me that is the roll of the MHK's and not the MLC's which as the upper chamber is a reviewing and revising chamber not a body to be introducing legislation.

To me the rolls of MHK and MLC are presently completely different. THE MLC's as I understand it have a revising and reviewing roll. They review the legislation that is put before the house. For that roll I want somebody in place who is used to reading and undetstanding legislation, legal documents, complicated contracts and picking out the holes or loopholes in them and understanding how they will effect us locally and internationally. From what I have seen and read it appears to me that some of the previous applicants had much greater experience in this area that Juan.

Hopefully Juan like all MHKs and MLCs will be a success in their roles but at present it appears that many seem to forget that we have two seperate houses and each have different roles and in my opinion they require different attributes and skill sets

Then why did the MHKs put him there?

You will have to ask the MHKs who I am sure will have different criteria for voting sombody in. Some will do so with the best intentions, but I am sure there will be one or two others less so who would probably vote for somebody who would give them an easy life rather than somebody who might give them a hard time. I am not saying that this was the reason Juan was elected or that he is incapable of doing the job as either way I simply have no idea. I just have deep suspicions about some politicians who I suspect probably have their self interest at the top of the agenda.

This applies in all walks of life. I am sure many of us if we were allowed to decide who our firm would take to do a similar job side us and to review our work might not necessarily choose the individual we know who would be the potentially best for the firm but might challenge our position but rather would choose somebody who we would not regard as a serious rival.

Then why did the MHKs put him there?

If there is one thing that comes to light throughout this thread its the way people conflict with what they are saying in one place with something that they have said somewhere else. Alot of people seem to be very quick to judge Mr J Turner MLC with comments such as "We have elected someone with no political experiance" and this makes me laugh, Why you might ask? Well its because were all here commenting on a political issue and no doubt some of us have no political experiance, is that not a contradiction in itself and further more, this island needs someone younger who is outspoken and will put across his and the islands opinion in the best way possible with the islands best interest in mind, i can gurantee that Mr Turner MLC is not the type of person to take on such a job for his own personal gain, and as for the political experiance that Mr Turner MLC apparently has none of, i think that 10 years coverage of general elections, manx interest and of course the work for ITV Border, North West Etc is more than most people commenting have.

Good Luck Juan, i sure of many other people apart from myself that are sure the right person has been elected.

This is very interesting. I say good luck to Mr Turner and trust he will lend his support to changing a system where 13 votes can get you elected to Parliament. In some places this would start a revolution!

Having accepted that under the present system someone has to be appointed, I am pleased we have a young person elected but it would be fitting if Juan would give us an insight into how he views matters as a housekeeper

"We have elected someone with no political experiance" and this makes me laugh, Why you might ask? Well its because were all here commenting on a political issue and no doubt some of us have no political experiance, is that not a contradiction in itself and further more, this island needs someone younger who is outspoken and will put across his and the islands opinion in the best way possible with the islands best interest in mind, i can gurantee that Mr Turner MLC is not the type of person to take on such a job for his own personal gain, and as for the political experiance that Mr Turner MLC apparently has none of, i think that 10 years coverage of general elections, manx interest and of course the work for ITV Border, North West Etc is more than most people commenting have.

Good Luck Juan, i sure of many other people apart from myself that are sure the right person has been elected.

Juan Turner has had more experience with that rather insidious and odious aspect of this Island, the Legal System, than most of us put together. That experience has put him on a good footing in his new position.

There are many people on this Island who have been systematically shafted and shat upon by the greedy big boys and incompetent beaurocracy. I am sure he will make an excellent politician for the good people of this Island.

I wish him all the very, very best.

• 4 months later...

Resurrection Time!

A claim that the House of Keys became a laughing stock when it struggled to fill vacancies on the Legislative Council earlier this year has been disputed in the chamber.

Douglas members Brenda Cannell and Bill Henderson disagreed with the judgement by Phil Gawne whose Constitution Amendment Bill reached its third reading stage yesterday (Tues).

Is it disputed because:

1. The House of Keys was already a 'laughing stock' long before the Legco election débâcle?

2. The will to change the system simply does not exist?

3. The need to change such an antiquated system will only be voiced at election time in order to garner a few extra votes?

4. Tynwald is so out of touch with public opinion that it doesn't realise people are not bothering to vote because they don't feel they have any control over the decisions it makes?

Resurrection Time!

A claim that the House of Keys became a laughing stock when it struggled to fill vacancies on the Legislative Council earlier this year has been disputed in the chamber.

Douglas members Brenda Cannell and Bill Henderson disagreed with the judgement by Phil Gawne whose Constitution Amendment Bill reached its third reading stage yesterday (Tues).

Is it disputed because:

1. The House of Keys was already a 'laughing stock' long before the Legco election débâcle?

2. The will to change the system simply does not exist?

3. The need to change such an antiquated system will only be voiced at election time in order to garner a few extra votes?

4. Tynwald is so out of touch with public opinion that it doesn't realise people are not bothering to vote because they don't feel they have any control over the decisions it makes?

The worrying thing is that they don't see any problem with the present system (perhaps hoping to be part of it one day and be put on the shelf themselves without having to face the electorate)

Has Alan Crowe spoken yet?

IMO, The place is run in some ways like a banana republic. Too much of a self serving mentality. Little evidence of long term planning.

80,000 inhabitants with a top heavy and swollen civil service. They're not interested in innovation, just enhancing their own positions. As Lonan says -

The will to change the system simply does not exist

Might be one of the oldest systems but it's not the most open or democratic.

If it's not bust don't fix it seems to be the ethos.

Archived