Election Looming For Two Places On Legislative Council

Theodolite

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not sure if The Deemster has imposed a death sentence yet for an oik like me to suggest an Advocate might be wrong, but I beg to differ:

The term Expires 29th February 2008.*

Anyway, the 4 seats in the Legislative Council up for grabs are:

1. Juan Turner

Elected in place of Leonard Singer who was not returned after resigning his seat on LegCo. in order that he could stand at the General Election in an attempt to be popularly elected as a Member of the House of Keys.

Juan Turner was finally elected on 22nd May 2007 after 8 sittings of the House of Keys were needed with 11 different candidates battling it out.

2. Clare Christian

Clare Christian has been a Member of the Legislative Council since March 1993.

Mrs Christian lost her seat in Ayre to Edgar Quine at the General Election in 1986 and was unfortunate that at this election, Ayre was reduced to a single seat constituency.

She was nominated for the Legislative Council in 1987 but in none of the 7 sittings did she receive more than 5 votes.

Mrs Christian was further nominated in 1988 but was again unsuccessful.

3. Eddie Lowey

Has been an MLC since November 1982 and prior to that an MHK since December 1975 (by-election)

4. Pam Crowe

Pam Crowe has been an MLC since March 2003. She was returned in Rushen as an MHK in the General Election of 2001 after a recount.

*typo! Originally typed 2009. Even I know Feb 29th could not be 2009.

The actual dates for the retirements by Rotation are:

Mr EG Lowey to 29.02.2008

Mrs CM Christian to 29.02.2008

Mrs PM Crowe to 29.02.2008

Mr JR Turner to 29.02.2008

Mr DMW Butt to 28.02.2010

Mr EA Crowe to 28.02.2010

Mr GH Waft to 28.02.2010

Mr AF Downie to 28.02.2010

Hon NQ Cringle (President of Tynwald) to 12.07.2011

source

The old ones terms expire end February 2008, (not 2009 Theo) so I am correct as to year, and I suggested elections, not retirements, in May 2008 as there will probably not be a suitable run of sitting for nominations and elections in March due to when Easter falls. I am expecting starting late April and running for a season through May and maybe beyond

The old ones terms expire end February 2008, (not 2009 Theo) so I am correct as to year, and I suggested elections, not retirements, in May 2008 as there will probably not be a suitable run of sitting for nominations and elections in March due to when Easter falls. I am expecting starting late April and running for a season through May and maybe beyond

I am expecting starting, as usual since 1985, to be beginning of March 2008.

House of Keys meet:

4th March, 18th March 2008

8th, 22nd and 29th April 2008.

There is of course, every indication that the elections could continue into May.

4th March, not enough time for the required nominations etc, so I expect not. 18th is a possibility but I think it slim. The preference being to nominate and then allow the candidates to circulate a paper about themselves.

My expectation is that the elction will be caled on 18 March with nominations in time for the 1st April sitting. As there are four to be elected I suspect we may get one or two on the first or second ballot who get 13 votes or more.

I have heard it whispered Mr Lowey is not going to stand.

Unless Juan has blotted his copybook, I presume he will get back as he has only been there a few months. As for the two ladys, well who knows. If there is a vacancy would anyone from the Keys who is in place until November 2011 give up a being a representative of the people just for an extra 15 months.

I can see ot reaching the summer recess if last time is anything to go by.

Rememeber there shoiuld have been an election 14 days after the House itself first met after being elected in November 2006, the first ballot was not actually held until mid January 2007 , which is why I suggest May this time around

4th March, not enough time for the required nominations etc, so I expect not. 18th is a possibility but I think it slim. The preference being to nominate and then allow the candidates to circulate a paper about themselves.
The Secretary of the House can call for nominations and the relevant papers received and circulated well in advance of 29th February 2008.

So, 4th March 2008 it will be - the next sitting of the House of Keys after 29th February 2008.

My expectation is that the elction will be caled on 18 March with nominations in time for the 1st April sitting.

I say 4th March 2008. Nominations will have been made and the papers setting out qualification for election and reasons for support will have been circulated at least 10 days prior to 4th March 2008.

Sorry John, but I believe you are rumbling bullshit and waffling on a subject on which you should know better.

By way of example I refer to the election on March 1st 2005 when Dudley Butt, George Waft and Donald Gelling were elected/re-elected onto the Legislative Council that very day.

From that House of Keys sitting:

The Speaker: Hon. Members, we move on to Item 3 on our Order Paper, which is election of four persons to serve as Members of the Legislative Council for a period expiring on 28th February 2010

In accordance with the statutory requirements in section 2 of the Isle of Man Constitution Elections to Council Act 1971, the Secretary of the House called for nominations on 7th February to be made and those on your Order Paper resulted. . . .

Archived