Election Looming For Two Places On Legislative Council

Theodolite

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I've never really got the need for a bicameral system, to be honest, especially in a place the size of the island

Quite right which is why we don't have one. We go one better in the interests of overgovernance, IOM has a tricameral one. Keys, Council, and together in Tynwald

I've never really got the need for a bicameral system, to be honest, especially in a place the size of the island

Quite right which is why we don't have one. We go one better in the interests of overgovernance, IOM has a tricameral one. Keys, Council, and together in Tynwald

Quadrigeminal if you include the deals done behind closed doors.

Well, there are three of them going for it again:

Manx Radio Report

Apparently, there was one of these was just about sleeping in the Public Gallery during the Keys meeting that was held before the vote. I really do wonder what some people think the Legislative Council is really there for.

:(

• 2 weeks later...

The next attempt to elect two MLCs is today.

I listened to last night's 'Agenda' programme on Manx Radio in which David Callister interviewed the three candidates. Charles Cain (although he's knocking on a bit) sounded clued-up and ready to go. He'd read the report on reforming govt departments and knew what he was talking about on virtually every subject.

I'm sorry to say that the other two sounded as if they'd just wandered into the studio by mistake!

I hear:

Charles Arthur Cain......6

Edward Alan Crowe.......15

John Edward Lightfoot....8

spoilt papers............2

Edward Alan Crowe is now MLC again.

(1 member absent from the Keys today)

I see Isle of Man Newspapers considered their on line poll important enough to distribute around the MHKs this morning.

IoM Today

Edited to say

I see the poll now makes it more difficult for someone to sit over their lunch time clicking the vote button a few hundred times.

I still think it is meaningless at best and manipulative at worse for Isle of Man Newspapers to even consider distributing the results of their silly little poll. Silly? Yep, compare the poll with the real live results.

I see Isle of Man Newspapers considered their on line poll important enough to distribute around the MHKs this morning.

IoM Today

Edited to say

I see the poll now makes it more difficult for someone to sit over their lunch time clicking the vote button a few hundred times.

I still think it is meaningless at best and manipulative at worse for Isle of Man Newspapers to even consider distributing the results of their silly little poll. Silly? Yep, compare the poll with the real live results.

Or it could be suggested that - yet again - Tynwald is totally out of tune with the wishes of the public, just as it was over the election of the Chief Minister.

N.B. 'Out of tune with the wishes of' can, if desired, be translated as 'couldn't give a flying f**k about.'

• 2 weeks later...

Yet again, no result yesterday:

David Owens 7

Leonard Singer 6

Richard Radcliffe 5

John Lightfoot 2

It would be funny - if it wasn't for the fact that we've entrusted these people with the governance of our island and they seem incapable of making up their minds about anything.

It would be funny - if it wasn't for the fact that we've entrusted these people with the governance of our island and they seem incapable of making up their minds about anything.

That's why transparency within government and broadcasting what goes on in Tynwald is bad - cos it's fucking scary when you see what actually goes on from the elected!! Listening to live Tywald debates and some of the speakers lack of oratory presence only enforces IMO the Toy Town politics of the Island.

It peeves me slightly as many of the MHKs views appear to be that you should only be electable as an MLC if you stood as an MHK and have a public mandate. This in effect means only sitting MHKs are electable as MLCs so if you want to be an MLC you must first have to stand as an MHK. It is not only MHKs who appear to share this belief as the first question to any candidate appears to be why did you not stand as an MHK with the infereence that they did not do so because they would not be electable.

I apprecaite it there is a view it might be preferable to have an elected upper house but until it is they should run with the system.

They seem to forget that being an MLC and a MHK is a completely different job and that Tynwald is made up of two houses and not one. I am never likely to stand for any sort of public office but of the two I would not mind being an MLC but I would not want to be an MHK. The constituency work and turning up at every school panto etc would not appeal to me.

An MLC for me should be someone who can scrutinise, review and understand legislation and see the "bigger". I think the roll is well suited to professionals and business man or women who have held senior and experienced rolls but although these sort of people stand they seem not to attract favour. Appointing MLC's is an opportunity to get into government some "big" hitters with experience and why I think some are pompous ..... I would still like to see theie experience and knowlede on board.

Yet again, no result yesterday:

David Owens 7

Leonard Singer 6

Richard Radcliffe 5

John Lightfoot 2

An MLC for me should be someone who can scrutinise, review and understand legislation and see the "bigger". I think the roll is well suited to professionals and business man or women who have held senior and experienced rolls but although these sort of people stand they seem not to attract favour. Appointing MLC's is an opportunity to get into government some "big" hitters with experience and why I think some are pompous ..... I would still like to see theie experience and knowlede on board.

God forbid you get anyone in that can actually provide results. They might upstage the MHK's that elected them and we couldn't have that.

Archived