Election Looming For Two Places On Legislative Council

Theodolite

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That IS my stance on employment - however I DO occasionally do odds and ends for organisations and individuals for free.

There's a good quote in legal circles that goes something like "a lawyer who represents himself in court works for a fool", and I feel the same about working for nothing - if you're any good at what you do, there should be a value attached to that. Too many employers exploit keen and dedicated workers, and I've fallen for it too often in the past.

I thought of LegCo, but it's only for 10 months, you would have no public mandate and no chance of getting a decent departmental job that could make any real difference in that time. I have much more respect for the people who stood for Keys in December, and may just have a go at that next time.

And anyway, I ALWAYS have a packet of smokes...and a backup plan in case they spontaneously combust.

• 2 weeks later...
Would Mr Turner have to resign as director of a media organisation if he took up post as a political member? Does anyone know who sets the rules, is it OFCOM?

and what must the senior members of Manx Radio be thinking?

I'm sure you will be hearing a statement shortly.

Presumably everyone is now aware that the new member for the empty LegCo seat is Juan Turner.

Another top job for Manx Democracy. Didn't get enough votes first time round, so wait until the next time. The whole of the Keys is sick of being pilloried for not being able to choose anyone. BING. In goes Mr Turner.

Top political manoeuvring.

Presumably Juan will now have to resign from his position at Energy FM to ensure that he is apolitical with no conflicting interests other than those of the Isle of Man.

For once I appear to be speechless.

Shame John Moss wasn't at lunch time Roxanne!!

Don't these people realise that in taking snipes they simply reveal their paranoia?!! :o

No different to Stu Peters questionning of the CM when the nomination of Mr Turner was first announced - it came across as panic :lol:

Oh to be a fly on the wall at Douglas head this morning! :unsure:

If there was any respect whatsoever remaining for the politicians and the political processes of the Isle of Man, this must surely remove it.

Since the last election we have seen a Chief Minister elected who wasn't even considered in the first vote but who, mysteriously (?), managed to obtain virtually unanimous support when he was nominated. And now, after countless attempts to find someone who would serve as an unelected member of the government for the next few months, they have managed to choose a dj with no political experience whatsoever.

Democracy? What democracy?

Our government is now - officially - a laughing stock!

Don't these people realise that in taking snipes they simply reveal their paranoia?!!

What did he say?

they have managed to choose a dj with no political experience whatsoever.

I have listened to him on the radio and I can confirm he is not a dj

BTW I can think of some MHKs voted in recently by the public who have no political experience

they have managed to choose a dj with no political experience whatsoever.

I have listened to him on the radio and I can confirm he is not a dj

BTW I can think of some MHKs voted in recently by the public who have no political experience

Spot the difference?

Don't these people realise that in taking snipes they simply reveal their paranoia?!!

What did he say?

He was doing the business news but as usual couldn't resist wandering off topic to have a dig :unsure:

Since Mr Turner had apparently said he was viewing it as a housekeeping role until next Februaury, he wondered if he would therefore be happy to accept the pay of a housekeeper.

Totally unnessecary; totally John Moss :angry:

(Although from what I gather you pay rather handsomely for a housekeeper these days!)

He was doing the business news but as usual couldn't resist wandering off topic to have a dig :unsure:

Since Mr Turner had apparently said he was viewing it as a housekeeping role until next Februaury, he wondered if he would therefore be happy to accept the pay of a housekeeper.

Totally unnessecary; totally John Moss :angry:

(Although from what I gather you pay rather handsomely for a housekeeper these days!)

What's the expression? 'If you can't stand the heat.....?'

I'm pretty sure that the John Moss remark is a very gentle indicator of the sheer disgust that most of the Manx public have for the pathetic wheeling and dealing of our politicians.

Archived