The Last Film You Saw....

jagman

Hidden figures.

About the role played by gifted black women in the early days of NASA, performing mathematical calculations for space flight pre computers. So gpod that even when an IBM computer took over the role, john glenn wouldn't go up until the IBM calculations had been checked and confirmed by these ladies. Good film, doesn't lay it on too heavy, i recommend woody and tarne watch it together in the spoons position

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

The Dinner - absolute rubbish. I wondered what people who don't game do of a Saturday night, so I thought I'd watch a film. It had Steve Coogan & Richard Gere in so you'd expect it to be OK, no no no no no! Utterly horrible film about utterly horrible people with horrible children and horrible issues. 

Fences - absolutely riveting performances from Denzel Washington and Viola Davis.

Based on, and retaining the simplicity of, a play, it tells the story of a black guy's marriage to his long suffering wife and their two sons.

Hopes, aspirations, dreams, regrets, foibles, and the hard reality of keeping a roof over your head, and a fence around your property.

The strains life brings, the tensions between husband and wife and the intergenerational conflict between a fallible father and his sons.

It touches on many many aspects of life, and is quite simply brilliant.

Valerian - A pale ghost of the Fifth Element.  Definite style over substance film, with nice visuals (with the occasional Phantom Menace levels of CGI), wooden main leads, a cartoon villain (who basically telegraphs his role the second he arrives on screen), a weak wafer thin plot aimed at ADHD Americans and a whole section of the film dedicated to Rhianna being "sexy" which adds nothing to the plot.

War for the Planet of the Apes - Amazing CGI, strong performances by all and a good "end" to the trilogy (word is the Apes series may have another trilogy in the pipeline).

Hitman's Bodyguard - Ryan Reynolds is basically Deadpool in a suit and Samuel L plays a sweary Samuel L.  Pretty generic action flick, but the jokes are pitched right and the action isn't too by the numbers to be pointless.

Picked up an Unlimited card for Cineworld recently and kicking the arse out of it.

• 2 weeks later...

Watched Logan the other day, really enjoyed it and I'm not entirely sure why. It had a plot you've seen or read before where an aging hero has reached the end of the line, but reluctantly gets involved in something, in theus case the rescue of a little girl, ends up on a road trip, loses a special friend and ultimately sacrifices himself to save the child. And it was full of plot holes, like a private army which was happy to ignore the US mexico border but strangely couldn't cross into Canada. Yet I still enjoyed it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I saw on fb that films in peel are showing Hunt for the Wilderpeople  at the centenary centre on Wednesday this week. I mentioned it earlier in this thread, I actually think its better than I thought then. If you've nothing better to do then a trip to that would be very rewarding.