[BBC News] Opinions sought on work permits

Newsbot

Without wanting to give away where I work, at my place we have an appropriately qualified temp working for us due to general staff shortages. After a year and a half of working for us the personal people finally advertised a post. The appropriately qualified temp applied, was the only applicant and was offered the job. The work permit committee turned his application down. No Manx workers applied for the post! Why?

To be honest I'm surprised that we're allowed to have a work permit system as it all seems rather like discrimination.

Without wanting to give away where I work, at my place we have an appropriately qualified temp working for us due to general staff shortages. After a year and a half of working for us the personal people finally advertised a post. The appropriately qualified temp applied, was the only applicant and was offered the job. The work permit committee turned his application down. No Manx workers applied for the post! Why?

To be honest I'm surprised that we're allowed to have a work permit system as it all seems rather like discrimination.

My friend had a similar experience. She found it so impossible to find permanent work that she moved back to England. It was a vicious circle. She had savings to buy a house but couldn't get a mortgage as she had no permanent work. She couldn't get permanent work because of the work permit issue and she couldn't afford private rent for 5 years until she became a Manx resident. She loved it here and has now had to return to where she doesn't want to be all because of a stupid formality.

Surely if there are so many jobs then having no work permits wouldn't raise unemployment, or am I being naive for the long term? It is my understanding that those who are out of work at the moment are either incapable or unwilling to get a job and not because there are none out there. Would it be too much to ask for cases to be assessed individually. Starting with my friend of course.

Was she told why she was turned down - there are specific criteria (or were - I've not looked at the details for a while) such as a criminal record, having more than a certain number of dependents etc.

Was she told why she was turned down - there are specific criteria (or were - I've not looked at the details for a while) such as a criminal record, having more than a certain number of dependents etc.

The person is single with no dependants and, as far as I know, no criminal record. Our work managed to forget about renewing their original work permit and as a result the person worked for a month without a permit. It was work’s fault and was remedied as soon as someone realised. It seems to me that the work permit committee are penalising the person for someone else’s genuine mistake, which seems inherently wrong to me.

My friend had a similar experience. She found it so impossible to find permanent work that she moved back to England. It was vicious circle. She had savings to buy a house but couldn't get a mortgage as she had no permanent work. She couldn't get permanent work because of the work permit issue and she couldn't afford private rent for 5 years until she became a Manx esident. She loved it here and has now had to return to where she doesn't want to be all because of a stupid formality.

Surely if there are so many jobs then having no work permits wouldn't raise unemployment, or am I being naive for the long term? It is my understanding that those who are out of work at the moment are either incapable or unwilling to get a job and not because there are none out there. Would it be too much to ask for cases to be assessed individually. Starting with my friend of course.

I don't understand your point about not being able to afford private rent for 5 years, and what are all these jobs that remain unfilled? Why don't the Manx - or any other nationalities want them? The Manx are subject to Job Seekers' rules too you know, and the JS allowance is stopped if claimants don't make an effort to get work. If you are incapable of getting a job you get a different benefit and don't figure on unemployment statistics.

Furthermore, why is it a stupid formality? The taxpayers in the Isle of Man have paid for all the excellent educational provision on the Island, followed by training grants for craft apprenticeships or student grants for those who go on to degree and post-graduate courses, so why shouldn't the IOM see a return on its investment by giving preferential treatment to those who have qualified for it (and they are not all Manx born)?

But it's not just the financial cost - why should we have to go to a different country to get work just because an employer prefers someone who is equally qualified for the job but from, say, the UK who arrived on the boat yesterday? It's not like living in Lancashire and having to drive to Yorkshire for a suitable job - there's an expanse of sea around us which is expensive to cross to visit family (and impossible on occasions in winter). We have passed the stage when our menfolk had to go digging turnips in Norfolk (presumably a job the locals didn't want to do) and are now a successful economy - and it is the Manx people who should benefit first!

they should also have applications supported byu two former employers references one of which should be for at least 6 months work .that way the committee can guage how effective the potential employee they are about to grant a permit to is.

Bollox

It is up to the (potential) employer to guage the effectiveness or otherwise of the applicant, and in turn make them an offer of the posiiton.

All the work permit committe are there to do is to verify that the law, in this case the Control of Employment Act, has been adhered to.

It is not for them to cast an opinion on whether the applicant was suitable, merely take a view on whether any of the applicants who were manx workers were, in there opinion, suitable for the post. The downside for progressive employers of course, is that there can sometimes be a country mile between 'suitable' and 'the best'.

There is a story circulating the UK that a major supermarket chain has estimated the population of the UK at about eighty million. The estimate has been made on a simple tally of people passing through their tills. We all need to eat so virtually everyone uses a supermarket. The extra twenty million is the number of transitory people passing through the UK.

This story hasn't been given media coverage yet. I trust my source, however. Just imagine the political ruckus if it's true!

In the UK it's easy for migrants to roam around and pick work - illegally or otherwise. The work permit system here means the Isle of Man is protected from such a surge in population. It may be a ropy system at times but the UK would be a different place if they had they same controls.

Archived