Rumoured: Shoprite Takeover?

DjDan

This is just a rumour I've heard... but I was curious to see if there is any truth in it.

I overheard a conversation in which one said that Tesco are hoping to buyout Shoprite. Thus, have a direct monopoly on the island. The conversation then continued to discuss the implications of such a move.

Has anyone else heard anything along those lines?

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i'd like to see tesco express stores open in the smaller towns.

we drive from kirk michael to tesco to do our shopping...i know alot of people drive from all over the island to visit tesco, shoprite is shit.

Sorry but Shoprite isn't shit. I used to think the same but actually didn't shop there that often. Now that I live near the Port Erin one I shop there all the time. Unlike Tesco it's cheaper, never crowded and easy to get parking. It stocks everything I need so the only time I ever go to Tesco now (rarely) is to get a cooked chicken for my lunch. It would be a very bad thing for the island if Shoprite were bought out by Tesco - can you see them keeping all the stores open?

I'd like to see Sainsbury's take over Shoprite. All the chains are pretty scuzzy, but Tesco is by far the scuzziest catering predominantly for the turkey twizzler brigade. You have to be careful saying one is cheaper than the other - they all do loss leaders, and they all have their colossal mark up lines. Swings and roundabouts really. None are cheap, though they like everyone to think they are.

True but I found that my average trolley of stuff was working out cheaper at shoprite so started shopping there full time. Actually I perfer the Co-op - I prefer their ethical policy but unfortunately their range is not as wide.

I'd like to see Sainsbury's take over Shoprite. All the chains are pretty scuzzy, but Tesco is by far the scuzziest catering predominantly for the turkey twizzler brigade. You have to be careful saying one is cheaper than the other - they all do loss leaders, and they all have their colossal mark up lines. Swings and roundabouts really. None are cheap, though they like everyone to think they are.

You've obviously never been to Asda.

We like the local culture at Shopshite and really hope Tesco don't buy them out. When we were living accross they bought up the local stores in our area. There were lots of problems as a result and no improvements. The immediate was the lack of choice - same stuff wherever you drove.

We won't use them for sure.

Archived