Rumoured: Shoprite Takeover?

DjDan

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This is just a rumour I've heard... but I was curious to see if there is any truth in it.

I overheard a conversation in which one said that Tesco are hoping to buyout Shoprite. Thus, have a direct monopoly on the island. The conversation then continued to discuss the implications of such a move.

Has anyone else heard anything along those lines?

I don't think anyone would be surprised if the existing site was sold for development forcing them to look at other options. They must have an opportunity to take out the competition and release a huge unrealised profit on the existing site.

shoprites propwrty value . doh . how does the shoprite nav compare to itrs share price - is there any discount? maybe there shoul be a corporate raider take an interest in them just like Larry the Liquidator

Nurse: More Valium, the box is still typing...

shoprites propwrty value . doh . how does the shoprite nav compare to itrs share price - is there any discount? maybe there shoul be a corporate raider take an interest in them just like Larry the Liquidator

Have you escaped from a secure unit? Or should I say scerue utin?

I Work for Shoprite and every year its the same rumour and its getting very boring, I enjoy working for them and have done for years and yes, like every company they have there ups and downs but they keep a lot of Manx workers employed and use alot of local suppliers. and before anyone asks, im not a director just a cashier.

This is just a rumour I've heard... but I was curious to see if there is any truth in it.

I overheard a conversation in which one said that Tesco are hoping to buyout Shoprite. Thus, have a direct monopoly on the island. The conversation then continued to discuss the implications of such a move.

Has anyone else heard anything along those lines?

Given recent news coverage - I doubt it

I'll be happy with that. Victoria Road Shoprite is on the way home from work for me but I never go there because of the godawful selection they have.

A Tesco there would be spot on

Are you for real???

Vic Road Shoprite is billions of miles ahead of Tescos in terms of range of produce, and especially fairly decent local produce.

I've tried Tescos a few times and have found it lacking in every way (friendliness, service, produce, parking, ease of use).

I would even say IMHO that the Onchan Shoprite beats Tescos hands down & that's a pretty small store by comparison!!!

Youre only going to these places to buy food not to have a natter and talk about the weather.

I have always found Tesco's and M&S the better shop, i went in to shoprite once and had some sad drip telling me what i should do with the shopping i had jst paid for.

I turned around and said to her your paid to use a till not talk to me, i found it very uncomfortable.

When i go to Tesco and M&S i always get what i want and it actully tastes of something unlike the iceland junk they sell at the local place.

This shop local makes me laugh, its a shame you lot didnt do that when the small shops needed you?

Youre only going to these places to buy food not to have a natter and talk about the weather.

I have always found Tesco's and M&S the better shop, i went in to shoprite once and had some sad drip telling me what i should do with the shopping i had jst paid for.

I turned around and said to her your paid to use a till not talk to me, i found it very uncomfortable.

You're an idiot.

Sorry but Shoprite isn't shit. I used to think the same but actually didn't shop there that often. Now that I live near the Port Erin one I shop there all the time. Unlike Tesco it's cheaper, never crowded and easy to get parking. It stocks everything I need so the only time I ever go to Tesco now (rarely) is to get a cooked chicken for my lunch. It would be a very bad thing for the island if Shoprite were bought out by Tesco - can you see them keeping all the stores open?

with all due respect, i would argue that there is a difference between peel shoprite and the others.

peel shoprite is truly appauling....it doesn't match some of the others. we do infact sometimes go to the ramsey one which is definately better.

we do need another chain here....i call for morrisons!

Sorry but Shoprite isn't shit. I used to think the same but actually didn't shop there that often. Now that I live near the Port Erin one I shop there all the time. Unlike Tesco it's cheaper, never crowded and easy to get parking. It stocks everything I need so the only time I ever go to Tesco now (rarely) is to get a cooked chicken for my lunch. It would be a very bad thing for the island if Shoprite were bought out by Tesco - can you see them keeping all the stores open?

Agreed - Ramsey Shoprite is fine. Prices not too high, very easy parking for the aged. My only grumble is that the sell cheese in imperial measure arther than metric.

As for prices - it's an island. If you want cheap prices move to Slough.

Archived