Rumoured: Shoprite Takeover?

DjDan

Youre only going to these places to buy food not to have a natter and talk about the weather.

Based on my observations while shopping with my mother (80+ years old) I know how wrong you are.

We blokes can do the shopping in two minutes flat, the female of the species requires at least an hour.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
we do need another chain here....i call for morrisons!

There was 2 Morrison's on the island- The one where Safeway used to be in Douglas, and the one where Safeway was in Ramsey. Shoprite is there now in both places. Safeway was there for years, and presto and liptons before that! Dont know why they sold out? Especially as there is a Shoprite on victoria road as well, anytime i have been into Shoprite in the town its always empty. The Shoprite in victoria road is a nice store, and does have a good range of local produce-think it was a bad move for them to go into the shop in town.

Sorry but Shoprite isn't shit. I used to think the same but actually didn't shop there that often. Now that I live near the Port Erin one I shop there all the time. Unlike Tesco it's cheaper, never crowded and easy to get parking. It stocks everything I need so the only time I ever go to Tesco now (rarely) is to get a cooked chicken for my lunch. It would be a very bad thing for the island if Shoprite were bought out by Tesco - can you see them keeping all the stores open?

with all due respect, i would argue that there is a difference between peel shoprite and the others.

peel shoprite is truly appauling....it doesn't match some of the others. we do infact sometimes go to the ramsey one which is definately better.

we had a morrisons here... when they took over Safeway. Safewway was a good store (limited by space), and Morrisons destroyed it. After the destruction failure there, they abandoned the island and sold the store to Shoprite.

Shoprite are surely in hard times at the moment (?), at least it would appear that way. Their chester st. store has changed names as many times as they've had to change their ideas on what to do with it! Now it's like 40% shoprite (if that) and they've tried to throw everything else into it to get customers! Subway, Homecook (or whatever it's called) and the DIY stuff.

Shoprite is not half the store in comparison to the likes of Tesco. I don't really like Tesco (cause' they use their monopoly, and don't care about service and product range), but we don't have much option here on the island now. I'm actually a Safeway loyalist, but gone are those days!! ;) Shoprite may offer some items that Tesco don't (and their main claim to fame is they sell a lot of Manx products... which I agree is a strong point) but that's not enough to get my weekly purchase.

IF Tesco did buy them out.... it would be a bad thing for the island though. Unless Tesco changed the way they do things.

There was 2 Morrison's on the island- The one where Safeway used to be in Douglas, and the one where Safeway was in Ramsey. Shoprite is there now in both places. Safeway was there for years, and presto and liptons before that! Dont know why they sold out? Especially as there is a Shoprite on victoria road as well, anytime i have been into Shoprite in the town its always empty. The Shoprite in victoria road is a nice store, and does have a good range of local produce-think it was a bad move for them to go into the shop in town.

Isn't the Ramsey store owned by the Co-op now?

I Work for Shoprite and every year its the same rumour and its getting very boring, I enjoy working for them and have done for years and yes, like every company they have there ups and downs but they keep a lot of Manx workers employed and use alot of local suppliers. and before anyone asks, im not a director just a cashier.

But being an employee, doesn't necessarily mean you'd actually know if there was anything going on or not. The company is hardly going to annouce to their cashiers and such, that they are planning on selling out to Tesco (until it is about to happen). If they did, they'd find a number of their staff looking for new jobs! They only announce these things as they are 'happening' to avoid the problems that come with such announcements.

As much as we Manx love a rumour... I have to say, being that this rumour keeps popping up, it makes it seem more believable. It's always gonna' be a viable option for Tesco (which I'm sure they consider time and time again).. and Shoprite are always in difficult times (which I'm sure their directors also consider time and time again!). It's not unlikely they the two may have had talks a number of times about the option.

Isn't the Ramsey store owned by the Co-op now?

Yes and bloody awful it is too but at least it's not a Tesco.

All you lot who are moaning about Shoprite and how wonderful Tesco is just wait and see how Tesco would abuse their monopoly if they took over Shoprite.

Shoprite may not be perfect but at least it's local ... use it or lose it.

I overheard a conversation in which one said that Tesco are hoping to buyout Shoprite. Thus, have a direct monopoly on the island... Has anyone else heard anything along those lines?

it is bollocks. it would be a good idea in peel though.

the agreement tesco has with iomg is likely to be for one store only. any move for shoprite by tesco would create a lot of excrement being thrown around the court of tynwald... like most sessions. i sense a tynwald question along these lines... very crafty djdan!!

define local?
As all their supermarkets, garage and property investments seem to be on The Rock that will define it for me.

Local produce?

Yup ... they seem to sell quite a bit more local veg and meat and at least they sell locally made bread. Some people may not like Ramsey bread but it makes a hell of a lot more sense to sell locally made bread from locally milled flour instead of bringing garbage over on the Ben every night.

Local owners?

Dunno but most of the big shareholders seem to live locally.

And no I am not a shareholder just a contented customer.

I Work for Shoprite and every year its the same rumour and its getting very boring, I enjoy working for them and have done for years and yes, like every company they have there ups and downs but they keep a lot of Manx workers employed and use alot of local suppliers. and before anyone asks, im not a director just a cashier.

But being an employee, doesn't necessarily mean you'd actually know if there was anything going on or not. The company is hardly going to annouce to their cashiers and such, that they are planning on selling out to Tesco (until it is about to happen). If they did, they'd find a number of their staff looking for new jobs! They only announce these things as they are 'happening' to avoid the problems that come with such announcements.

As much as we Manx love a rumour... I have to say, being that this rumour keeps popping up, it makes it seem more believable. It's always gonna' be a viable option for Tesco (which I'm sure they consider time and time again).. and Shoprite are always in difficult times (which I'm sure their directors also consider time and time again!). It's not unlikely they the two may have had talks a number of times about the option.

I never said it did, I mearly pointed out that this rumour goes round at least twice a year and as I have worked there for over 14 years and always for the same people, it is most likely to be bollocks, also where did you get your information if your so sure, and the only reason it keeps popping up is becauce ill informed people keep talking rubbish

As a bloke (i.e. one who shops only as an alternative to starving, rather than as a prized weekly event) I find that Tesco is bearable and efficient. It is well lit and well staffed, and it sells the stuff I want.

Occasionally I go on a 'buy local' crusade (I agree with the principle of keeping money here and supporting local producers) and go to Shoprite on Victoria Road. Apart from the Tchibo stand (gadgets=good), the chore is usually most depressing and my 'customer experience' is completed by a terminally bored checkout person. So I go to Tesco the next half dozen times until my conscience kicks in again.

A supermarket monopoly would be bad - but Shoprite feels tired and careless, so they should shape up or ship out.

I'm a recent covert back to shoprite (douglas)

went there last sunday it was absolutely brilliant, infinitely better fruit and veg, better laid out (fruit and veg aisles seemed to be twice the width of tesco.)

Fresh bread, fresh hot meat,better cold meat seletion, nicer ready meals (if you get the waitrose ones)

Much quieter, the people that were there were calm (albeit a bit common) less pushing and rudeness than the other place.

didn't notice the price and wouldn't touch the iceland stuff cause I'm part of the landed/monied gentry

I have a suspician that I've cought my current proper (not manflu) flu from some of the commoner types perambulating around there

yeah shoprite :wub:

What local produce do Shoprite sell that I cannot get in Tescos?

This is not a "I think one is better than the other" its a genuine question.

I use Tescos and they sell manx meat, cheese, cream, teabags,bread etc.

I have seen locally produced cabbages. If Shoprite have things that Tesco dont, I will be happy to try them,

provided they are not Robinsons produce.

Well i think tesco was told by the government it had to use local produce and when i have been in there i have seen as much as shoprite.

If i had to choose it would be M&S for food because it tastes sooooo good MMmmm.

What i tend to do is buy the likes of my spuds from a local farm and also other veg when in season.

What i would like to see is a regular weekly farmers market like in the UK.

These are very common now and the farmer gets all the money instead of a pitance.

A friend of mine gets a weekly french market on a saturday weather permitting and it is well surported.

I know the farmers are moaning about losing money but they don't get of there @rses to turn it around.

The only way you can shop local is to buy from the source i.e farmers markets

I prefer Tesco. The staff are friendly and very helpful, and the range and quality of product is good. My only gripe is that they obviously use the same 'just in time' stock control that they use in their stores in the UK, forgetting the patch of water between their depot and the IOM. This means that if you shop late in the day, often much of the fresh veg is out of stock.

Shoprite, on the other hand always seems a bit down at heel and while the range of speciality stock is very good in Victoria Road, the range of ordinary stuff is pretty mediocre.

I try always to support local business, but I really don't see Shoprite as a more integral part of the Manx economy than Tesco - they are both local employers and both stock local produce. The only real difference is the profits in Shoprite stay within two local companies (Shoprite and Robinson's).

However, I lurve the new Wilkinson set up in the Chester Street store. One of my favourite shops in the UK; it sells just about any kind of homeware at very cheap prices for things where 'quality' (and thus a higher price tag) really doesn't matter; you know, a plastic storage box is going to be a plastic storage box whether you are paying £1.50 or £5.00.

Archived