Rumoured: Shoprite Takeover?

DjDan

What local produce do Shoprite sell that I cannot get in Tescos?

This is not a "I think one is better than the other" its a genuine question.

I use Tescos and they sell manx meat, cheese, cream, teabags,bread etc.

I have seen locally produced cabbages. If Shoprite have things that Tesco dont, I will be happy to try them,

provided they are not Robinsons produce.

What's the problem with Robinsons produce?

I would echo what someone said upthread about "supporting local businesses". It's local employment that is the only real issue here. Who knows where the Nicholsons and Horsthuises spend their dividends. It might be on "buy to let" properties!

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For me the problem with Robinson's is lack of quality control for the price asked - they would appear to buy on the manchester whoesale market and sometimes undercut Tesco's price but the quality is not always there - my experience is mostly with the smaller shop in Peel (the larger one I mostly avoid as lack of staff means you can queue for ever), the Ramsey shop appears better stocked as does the Port Erin one - Robinsons now have an excellent multi-ethnic food shop opposite B&Q which is well worth visiting so they are doing one thing well.

I've started shopping at Tesco's. However, I also shop at Shoprite and the Co-Op. I use them all for different things.

It's quite funny to be in Tesco's and bump into someone who works in Shoprite. Even though they get a staff discount, I suppose they don't really want their work colleagues knowing which brand of toilet paper they prefer to wipe their bottom on.

As for Manx produce, I would and do happily pay more for local goods and I know that I don't speak for everyone, but it's so nice to have the choice. Tesco do a good line on the IOM Creameries stuff but not the veg and I was shocked to see they don't sell Manx eggs, so I bought them elsewhere.

Tesco work on a national level, rather than an Island level and I suppose they aim to keep the majority of their customers happy, rather than a small number of local farmers. I heard that Tesco can sell potatoes cheaper than Manx farmers can produce them, but what's the point in being Manx without spuds? I was practically brought up on them.

Tesco work on a national level, rather than an Island level and I suppose they aim to keep the majority of their customers happy, rather than a small number of local farmers. I heard that Tesco can sell potatoes cheaper than Manx farmers can produce them, but what's the point in being Manx without spuds? I was practically brought up on them.

Perhaps its time for the farmers to repeat the 'demo' they did in Safeway's a few years ago.

Anyone remember? They filled their trollies with goods, took them to the checkout - then left them there and walked away. Peaceful, but effective.

However, I lurve the new Wilkinson set up in the Chester Street store. One of my favourite shops in the UK; it sells just about any kind of homeware at very cheap prices for things where 'quality' (and thus a higher price tag) really doesn't matter; you know, a plastic storage box is going to be a plastic storage box whether you are paying £1.50 or £5.00.

Hey, they're recruiting!

Wouldn't we all just love to be a Counter Intelligence Agent :ph34r:

What local produce do Shoprite sell that I cannot get in Tescos?

This is not a "I think one is better than the other" its a genuine question.

I use Tescos and they sell manx meat, cheese, cream, teabags,bread etc.

I have seen locally produced cabbages. If Shoprite have things that Tesco dont, I will be happy to try them,

provided they are not Robinsons produce.

What's the problem with Robinsons produce?

I would echo what someone said upthread about "supporting local businesses". It's local employment that is the only real issue here. Who knows where the Nicholsons and Horsthuises spend their dividends. It might be on "buy to let" properties!

Robinsons produce is crap. second grade. M&S and Tesco only sell first grade.

M&S food is quality. Far better than Tesco... but expensive.

I don't rate Shoprite at all... but like I said earlier in the thread, it'd be bad for us all if they ceased to exist! Hoping this is another 'passing rumour' - typical Manx style :P

This is just a rumour I've heard... but I was curious to see if there is any truth in it.

I overheard a conversation in which one said that Tesco are hoping to buyout Shoprite. Thus, have a direct monopoly on the island. The conversation then continued to discuss the implications of such a move.

Has anyone else heard anything along those lines?

I havent heard anything about this rumour but do Shoprite own Food4Less in Chester Street? because I thought it was a U. S. company? or have they just used the same name?

This is just a rumour I've heard... but I was curious to see if there is any truth in it.

I overheard a conversation in which one said that Tesco are hoping to buyout Shoprite. Thus, have a direct monopoly on the island. The conversation then continued to discuss the implications of such a move.

Has anyone else heard anything along those lines?

I havent heard anything about this rumour but do Shoprite own Food4Less in Chester Street? because I thought it was a U. S. company? or have they just used the same name?

Yes Shoprite took over the lease from Morrisons who took opver from safeway who took over from Liptons who took over from Presto. I forget who they were before that but they were in the Palais de Dance in Strand St and had branches all over the Island originally United Dairies

Used to have many grocers - Kissacks, Home & Colonial, Maypole, Creers.

After the Woolworth's fire, the Palais de Danse housed them for a while.

Tesco pay lip service to local producers. They have the power to kill off farming on the Island if allowed to have their own way.

They sell local potatoes (one box in a row of about 10) and sell english potatoes as a loss leader, putting pressure on local suppliers. They tried to tell Laxey Mills to cut their price for flour. Laxey Mills refused and laxey flower is now on the bottom shelf with english brands at eye level. They have tried to get Ramsey Bakery to cut their price but they refused.

Result - Ramsey Bakery bread is now displayed in one rack behind a pole !!

If Ramsey Bakery fold, then Laxey Mills would close, and lots of farmers would be bankrupt and we would be hostages to Tesco.

I think the Shoprite Clubmann card is a sh*t promotion with lots of faults, but they do support the local economy. Long may they continue. And if your talking about fresh local produce - you can't beat Douglas Market Hall.

Archived