Rumoured: Shoprite Takeover?

DjDan

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well it seems obvious that if we want to keep Shoprite on the map, then Tesco's have to be boycotted - but that just won't happen will it :sheep:

If Shoprite made improvements... I'd certainly 'boycott' tesco. I live close to the Shoprite on Victoria Road, but I drive down to Tesco and back again. Did the same thing tonight just for a couple of items! I thought to myself.... shouldn't I just go to Shoprite? But then considered that probably they'd be out of stock on what I was after anyway... so off I went to Tesco. :rolleyes:

I might have been wrong... but it's the reputation shoprite has developed within me.

I havent shopped at Tesco since they tried to diddle me out of £20 on a camera, it was advertised at £39.99 in the national newspapers but in Douglas it was £59.99. when I asked why they had charged more here I was told by a Customer Sevice Manager it was becauce it had to be ferried here, I asked was the same mark up applied to all other products they sold he got all shirty, I responded by telling him I would be speaking to Trading Standards the next day and all of a sudden I was told I could have a £20 refund. I asked several times to speak to the Manager but got every excuse under the sun as to why he was unavailable. I wasnt even believed at first until I told Him to have a look in the newspaper and he saw it for himself, he kept trying to say it was a different model.

By having more stores, more staff, more local produce, sponsoring local events, supporting local charities, using other local companies for transport and produce etc, the owners being manx and living on the IOM?

Aren't they the IOM Farmers biggest customer by far according to their advert?

By having more stores, more staff, more local produce, sponsoring local events, supporting local charities, using other local companies for transport and produce etc, the owners being manx and living on the IOM?

Aren't they the IOM Farmers biggest customer by far according to their advert?

You could well be right, but I'm not convinced of any of your points other than the first one.

Well I have never seen tesco's sponsoring events at the gaiety, like shoprite do, I've never seen charity bag packers at tesco, like you do at shoprite, its a fact the family who own shoprite live here, I expect they try not to blatantly lie in their advertising ref the IOM farmers etc etc.

If you believe its untrue they support the local economy much more than tesco, why not complain to the advertising standards about misrepresenation?

If you believe its untrue they support the local economy much more than tesco, why not complain to the advertising standards about misrepresenation?

Misrepresentation by whom? You or Shoprite? Show me where they have claimed to support the local economy more than Tesco's. I have no idea whether that's true or untrue. I would be surprised if there's much in quite frankly. Sponsoring luvvie events is just advertising really, and I've seen charity bods all over Tesco's many times. The owners may well live over here, but I bet they pay less for the produce, and less per unit price of the produce to the government in business taxes than small independent suppliers end up paying.

has anone ever noticed the way Tesco price things up? for example - manx cheese is quoted at a price per 100g whereas other cheese is quoted at a price per 1kg - same with other products. why do they do it? i asked but never got a reply.

You can make an easy comparison by multiplying the 100g price by 10, just add a nought. You probably didn't get a reply because they thought you were joking.

their radio advertising says they support the local economy more, hence suggestion of advertising standards

Hate to be contentious, but their stock is shite, you need to check the date (particularly the offers) and the range is poor in everyday stuff. I have tried a few times to switch the family shop from Tesco to Shoprite, but have never felt I was getting the same quality and price.

And as for the radio ad. which says that the clever money doesn't go shopping in Milan or London, but at Peacocks in Victoria Road is really just an insult to the intelligence. Happy to shop at Peacocks as a cheap and cheerful place, but please do not think I am substituting my usual trip to Milan to buy the lad his kecks!

Archived