Fostering Discrimination

copycat

in this day and age don't you think that IOM high profile companies would follow the very best internationally accepted recruitment practices?

take a look at the Greenlight Television's advert in this week's IOM Examiner.

"We urgently need a young, hotshot Broadcast Editor...."

The sooner someone in Tynwald gets to grips and introduces appropriate legilslation the better. In the meantime what to do? complain to IOM Newspapers for carrying such adverts and teh advertising standards authority and members of Tynwald and trading standards ? which woul dbe the moste effective?

as for teh ohter advert tahts is for a person Friday "And we know teh "friday" thing is acop out that saves us writing a proper job description.." don't you have to have one in a contrcat of employement which is a legal requirement employers have to provide to employees? in which case does that mean they intend not doing a correct contract ?

don't know what it is in latin but something like Caveat Emptor comes to mind if your thinking about working for such an employer cos who knows what job you might end up doing.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I suppose a 'young Broadcast Editor' could be someone who is 50yrs of age but has only been a Broadcast Editor for, e.g. two years. I guess another was of putting it might be 'we do not require a Broadcast Editor who has been in the job five years and is happy to plod along doing only the basic minimum amount of work'.. Maybe the saw the price of IOM Newspaper's advertising space and opted to shorten their advert at the expense of clarity!

"Young" may infer inexperienced or partially qualified rather than a "Seasoned broadcast editor"

Personally MCB I think your talking through your arse. Who cares, its only a job advert there is too much bloody political correctness on this Island and its numpties like you who perpertate it.

If it pisses you off that much make a formal complaint.

Surely, its a companies own business how they decide to advertise a job?

Not in the UK, it isn't.

The new age discrimination legislation introduced on 1 October means that not only is it illegal for companies to state an age range in an ad, but they may not even infer it (using words like "energetic", "mature" or even "responsible" could lead to prosecution).

Nor may they specify a level of experience required in an ad, or use this as a criterion for shortlisting and selection. In theory, this is because older people may perfectly complement a young team, or very young executives may have leadership skills well beyond their years. In practice, it will mean 59 year olds applying to work at New Look and 22 year olds applying to be the Chief Executive of ICI - and both parties being prepared to have recourse to law if their applications are not taken seriously.

Sadly, since the current trend seems to be for Tynwald to adapt UK legislation, we will almost inevitably end up with the same restrictions here at some point.

Since the Age Discrimination Act came in across our company have introduced it here - so everyone who works for the group gets treated the same. This means -

- Job Adverts can't say "experienced" required because that discriminates against the young.

- "Dynamic" and "energetic" are also banned as these discriminate against the old (although why old people can't be dynamic and energetic is beyond me).

- the holiday list has changed so that the longest serving staff no longer get first choice.

- newer staff have had their holiday entitlement increased to match the longer serving.

in this day and age don't you think that IOM high profile companies would follow the very best internationally accepted recruitment practices?

take a look at the Greenlight Television's advert in this week's IOM Examiner.

The sooner someone in Tynwald gets to grips and introduces appropriate legilslation the better. In the meantime what to do? complain to IOM Newspapers for carrying such adverts and teh advertising standards authority and members of Tynwald and trading standards ? which woul dbe the moste effective?

as for teh ohter advert tahts is for a person Friday "And we know teh "friday" thing is acop out that saves us writing a proper job description.." don't you have to have one in a contrcat of employement which is a legal requirement employers have to provide to employees? in which case does that mean they intend not doing a correct contract ?

don't know what it is in latin but something like Caveat Emptor comes to mind if your thinking about working for such an employer cos who knows what job you might end up doing.

Contact Sue Strang-Equal Opportunities-Department of Trade and Industry.

equalityadviser@dti.gov.im

According to DTI website Equality at Work section they only have legislation about discrimination on the grounds of sex and marital status at the moment.

Legislation on race-religion-age etc is planned for 2007/8

IOM a few years behind the times as usual.

Lots of premises need to have disabled access before they bring new rules in.

But perhaps they need a young hotshot. If that is now to be banned, then regulation borne of PC is going to drive the world into mediorcity.

Soon the ads will read 'We have a vacancy, doesn't matter about your experience, qualifications, age, ambition or expectation so drop us your CV, but please omit any information on the aforementioned as that may prejudice our choice.'

TBH I thought the job ad rather funny.

Maybe written by a young dynamic inexperienced member of the ad department?

I'm not sure if the recent UK legislation is PC 'gone wrong', I've often thought that job ads looking for a 'young person' generally meant the advertiser wanted a 'general dog's body' to do loads of work, make the tea for a wage that might not meet the more recent minimum wage.

On the funnier side, according to copycat's post at least the other ad was asking for a 'Person Friday', I'm sure that if they were advertising for a 'Girl Friday' then it would have been sexist??

I used to love those ads in the 70's (or was it 80's?) - probably in The Guardian - such as 'Social Worker required, preferably Black, Disabled and Lesbian', for Lambeth and swome other London Boroughs. I was working for a recruitment agency in the London area at the time and my Mum used to send me the Manx papers. I'd take them into work and we used to fall about laughing with derision at the ads for 'attractive Girl Fridays under 21', or 'strong lads required for lifting heavy goods' (though some of my co-workers lacking in a sense of humour were horrified - they didn't understand that we were a tad behind the times here).

But even after moving back to the IOM about 10 years ago I used to hear ads on Manx Radio that made me cringe - one in particular I remember was for the Glen Helen garage where the owner wanted a petrol pump attendant who was blonde and attractive. I never stopped for petrol there again.

I started this post with a point to make, but am now too pissed to think what it was!

I have a simple way off how I give, or not give, people jobs.

They arrive, I ask them questions.

They ask me questions.

Different papers are passed between each other. I cross check things on their papers as, experiance, jobs done and references and such.

I use common sense and give the job to the best i think will be a benefit to me and the company or companies.

I don't need some fuckwit law to tell me that i've posted the job wrong or some arsesole who never got the job , to give me a hard time. ( does that ring bells Copycat , not that i've ever offered you a job ).

In saying that , if, I had to post a job, I would be inclined to post the job in a way as to not cuase offence.

IE; Bricklayers Labourer needed. Ideally a young, fit , man or woman.

How many 50 yrs old would you think would apply for that, Copycat?

Yet you imply that is against the law. Bollox.

Sorry, but i'll still employ people for the 3 companies I have, untill some useless arsehole sues me and then i'll retire.

IMO, if you're good enough for the job you, MIGHT, get it.

If you're not lucky at that time, you re-apply for that job and you should get something.

Quality counts in my book, I'm not there to Employ people who think they have the right to a job.

They have to earn that right.

I will give the job, or a job, to the person who rightly deserves it. No more, no less.

Archived