[BBC News] Near-miss driver sought by police

Newsbot

The Road Traffic Policing unit want the driver of the light-coloured car to come forward.

Yeah right.

I was once nearly taken out by a copper on the mountain mile who was doing a stupid overtake. I was told he was probably untraceable, but they would ask around for one of their officers to step forward.

Yeah right.

So there was no collision at all but they still want to find him. Why? Do they want to raise the issue of his "non accident" with him?

Excuse me sir but I notice that you didn't have an accident yesterday, anymore avoiding accidents and your nicked mate.

It might be more productive for the police to look for people who have caused accidents rather than people who have not.

I'm thinking about speeding tomorrow maybe I should hand myself in now before I commit an offence?

So there was no collision at all but they still want to find him. Why? Do they want to raise the issue of his "non accident" with him?

Excuse me sir but I notice that you didn't have an accident yesterday, anymore avoiding accidents and your nicked mate.

It might be more productive for the police to look for people who have caused accidents rather than people who have not.

I'm thinking about speeding tomorrow maybe I should hand myself in now before I commit an offence?

I had an "incident" today on my way home from work. A red car was driving a little over the [middle] white line on a narrow road, I had to pull right into the side of the road and barely missed him.

Think I should report it to the police so they can have a word?... next story would be: Police looking for red car driver!! :huh:

I had an "incident" today on my way home from work. A red car was driving a little over the [middle] white line on a narrow road, I had to pull right into the side of the road and barely missed him.

Think I should report it to the police so they can have a word?... next story would be: Police looking for red car driver!! :huh:

Its the whole data protection thing that gets me. As you say DJDan it was a red car that missed you, police have asked people to look out for the driver of a blue car. Call me Mr Picky but give me a bloody description I can work with and you might be getting somewhere. If I stand outside my house now in 15 minutes I will see 5 blue cars. Do I report them all. Or just the blue cars I see on the Mountain tomorrow.

Announcements like this are a total waste of time. Do they believe we'll all be out looking to shop every blue car we see?

(Maybe they could qualify the blue - a blue 4 x 4, or a blue saloon, or a blue sports car. Or a blue Ford. That might be good?)

Edited -

I travelled the mountain death road the other day(shudder) went both ways to, I managed to get over that dreaded pass without incident, I also had a young hooded type with me(was this irresponsible?) I was witness to a series of non events, no madness,no excessive speed or lunacy, if I wanted to be picky the golf doing 45 most of the way down into Ramsey was maybe travelling a little to slow for others behind, but a pleasant journey it was!

I travel this route at least twice a day and the only trouble I get is the Manx telecom van that passes me at least 65 on the mountain mile, they do this every day at 08:05. No good the police sitting at kepple gate or the bungalow, how about the mile?

As for looking for a non-event, don't make me laugh, spend time catching real criminals and don't waste our time and money with 'campaigns'.

I commited a non crime the other day! I thought about how easy it would be to steal the big pile of notes out of a till they were right in front of me and the cashier wasn't looking as she was gossiping!

Also when the phone wouldn't stop ringing at work I may have thought about beating some people to death....should I go and turn myself in as a kleptomaniac pscychopath? :ph34r::lol:

Edited to say: Disclaimer, I haven't actually commited any crimes of this nature, I certainly had nothing to do with the currency place...I don't have a foreign accent, nor could I fake one very well!

I travel this route at least twice a day and the only trouble I get is the Manx telecom van that passes me at least 65 on the mountain mile, they do this every day at 08:05. No good the police sitting at kepple gate or the bungalow, how about the mile?

As for looking for a non-event, don't make me laugh, spend time catching real criminals and don't waste our time and money with 'campaigns'.

Just to clarify, there were only really 2 non events, one was a Hare that looked as if at some stage, he just might, if he felt like it cross the road, possibly causing a huge multiple pile up and killing himself in the process, the other was the old peat diggings which looked like, if it rained hard enough for the next 40 years could become unstable and cause a huge landslip wiping out the entire roadway and inevitably causing an accident into the bargain, end of report.

I was once nearly taken out by a copper on the mountain mile who was doing a stupid overtake. I was told he was probably untraceable, but they would ask around for one of their officers to step forward.

Is this what it said on the website

The Road Traffic Policing unit want the driver of the light-coloured car with luminous yellow squares and a blue siren on top to come forward.

The police some years ago nearly knocked the door of my house down as I had been reported for going too slow on the Mountain - about 45 mph coming home from work at 6 p.m. The driver behind had wanted to bomb down the road and I was the blighter who got in his way. It was dark and so I drove at the speed I could see.

The police realised I had done nothing wrong but I still had the inconvenience of digging out my insurance certificate and going around to the station with it. I had to do this at a time when I hardly had time to sleep never mind getting bothered with this nonsense.

Archived