Ps3 Announced

the mo beats experience

PlayStation 3 price cut by $100

Looking to jump-start sales of its PlayStation 3 game system, Sony (SNE) has cut the price by $100, to $499, and plans to introduce a $599 package with a larger (80-gigabyte vs. 60-GB) hard drive and one game next month.

Good news, but of course we're already paying £120 more than the americans for the ps3 before the price drop. Be interesting to see how this translates into quids.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The 3 year warranty thing is irrelevant. Yeah its great for those who already have a 360 but its not something you should look at as a postive if ur a potential buyer. ("theres a 1 in 3 chance a 360 will break but ill buy one cos its got a 3 year warranty"?) .

As for the design flaw, all articles ive read said microsoft cannot pin any1 thing down that is at fault. So even new 360's may have the same problem.The truth is microsoft rushed the 360 to give it a 12 month headstart over the ps3. they cut corners and used inferior components which is why the failure rate is so high!! I read 3000 360's are being returned to micrsoft from the uk each week for repair!!!!!

Ill stick with my ps3 for now. yeah the online stuff may need some work(having never used a 360 im happy with what the ps3 has to offer) but that can be changed/improved. Games wise there are plenty of games coming in the next 12 months that should help ps3 sales increase tenfold.

The PS2 had horrendous problems with its laser system, which Sony never acknowledged or did anything about, I know a lot of people whose PS2 died a death and the only recourse they had was a very expensive repair, or to buy a new one.

PS1 had awful laser problems too, the first gen had the laser assembly next to the psu which caused all sorts of problems.

MS have fucked up on the reliability, but at least they've doen something about it now and offered a reasurance that it's their problem and not the owners.

The problem with the 360 has been narrowed down to the X-clamp that holds the GPU in place, it's studded in place at all four corners which means there's pressure in the middle of it, and eventually it comes loose or goes pop, and there goes your GPU!

All 360s that are repaired/refurbished now are sent out with a modified clamp system and an extra heatsink as well, plus the changes should make their way into all new consoles as well.

Is this fairly new news? i new repaired 360's were being sent back with a bigger/better/extra? heatsinks to aid cooling but from what i heard there wasnt any common fault which is/was common with each fubbered 360?

PlayStation 3 price cut by $100

Looking to jump-start sales of its PlayStation 3 game system, Sony (SNE) has cut the price by $100, to $499, and plans to introduce a $599 package with a larger (80-gigabyte vs. 60-GB) hard drive and one game next month.

Most analysts were surprised at the price cut's timing and size. "We would have figured $50 by Christmas and $100 by next spring," says Richard Doherty of research firm The Envisioneering Group.

Market forces in action, ey?.... :)

Seeme to have had a slight effect on sales already

http://www.n4g.com/ps3/News-50535.aspx

Increase of 700% lol.

Sony have just confirmed no EU price drop. So it's 200 quid in the US and 425 quid here.

What a fucking conning shower of wa....

But the official press release is tomorrow on Thursday? I can't find any confirmation from Sony about the EU price - give us a link please.

Jeez the Sony bullshit is really taking the piss now! Turns out the price cut is just a stock clearance offer on the 60gb stock, and when that runs out it's only going to be the 80gb model back up to 599. So a month of a price cut.

Unreal. You can't make this stuff up...

Jeez the Sony bullshit is really taking the piss now! Turns out the price cut is just a stock clearance offer on the 60gb stock, and when that runs out it's only going to be the 80gb model back up to 599. So a month of a price cut.

Unreal. You can't make this stuff up...

Typical 360 fanboy, hears some bad press abot sony then fills in the gaps to make it sound worse than it is. :lol:

What was said by the President of sce was the 80GB model will eventually replace the 60GB model.(a good thing me thinks?)

He did not say the 80GB BUNDLE WITH MOTORSTORM($599) is the only PS3 package you'll be able to buy in the US once the 60GB model sells out.

Typical 360 fanboy, hears some bad press abot sony then fills in the gaps to make it sound worse than it is. :lol:

What was said by the President of sce was the 80GB model will eventually replace the 60GB model.(a good thing me thinks?)

He did not say the 80GB BUNDLE WITH MOTORSTORM($599) is the only PS3 package you'll be able to buy in the US once the 60GB model sells out.

I'm not a 360 fan boy, I have a 360, a wii, a ps2 (which still gets hammered thanks to it still having games like Final Fantasy), and mostly I play on my PC. I want nothing more than for the ps3 to be sold at a reasonable price and to be a success.

As to what he said:

"Well, they're not really are they, because what the US are offering from the 1st of August is a USD 599 version with one game.

"All they're doing is taking their stock in trade that they've got at the moment of the 60GB model, marking the price down and it will all be gone by the end of July."

When asked to clarify if this will mean the end of the 60GB model, Reeves answered, "In America, yes."

That's pretty clear isn't it? This is a mark down offer for remaining 60gb stocks, then after that it's just a 599 80gb motorstorm bundle, so no price cut. You will get slightly more for your 599 than previously, but it's still not a price cut.

He specifically said this isn't a price cut, it's a stock clearance.

As for the euro bundle, thorowing in a sixaxis just before your bringing out the rumble version also looks like an offload of stock...

http://uk.gamespot.com/video/932887/617449...p=e32007_videos

excellent stuff.

I dont mind games coming out a few months later than the 360 version as long as those months are being spent making it better. which is what the dirt boys are doing.

Great.

You still beating that same drum??

I have been watching the trailers for little big planet, and it looks excellent, but one question....

What exactly is it?

Archived