Ps3 Announced

the mo beats experience

Within six months or so, PS3 owners should actually have something worth playing!

(By which time a PS3 will cost £99.99, so I might get one myself.)

And even then, it's preview code for a game released in 2009!

But don't worry, so your ps3 wont sit idle all that time gathering dust, you can use it as a video recorder!

:D

In the interests of balance, I did slate the early adopters of the 360 for exactly the same reason as I am doing the PS3's "gotta have one now" brigade. The hardware is too expensive, there's bugger all games worth playing, and the online side of things is shambolic.

I always said I'd look at getting a 360 when the price came down, it had some decent games out, and they'd sorted out all the online stuff and got some good games on there - hence me buying one a few months ago, because it's matured into a really capable system and the Premium 360 + games bundles are keen value.

Same applies to the PS3, I don't hate the thing just because it's by Sony and it's a Playstation, and because I'm a 360 fanboy. I'm just not interested in the bloody thing because it's massively overpriced, the catalogue of available games is a bad joke, and the online aspect of the PS3 experience gets its face kicked off by Live and the Live Arcade.

Eighteen months down the line it might be a very different story, and I envisage there may well come a time where I have a PS3 alongside the 360, if it gets the games to justify the purchase.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Exactly, and I hope the ps3 does get cheaper and gets more games. I did early adopt on the wii, and have suffered the resulting drought though, but then that was a lot cheaper.

Edit: for interest last weeks uk sales:

ps3 - 4,961

ps2 - 6,533

x360 - 7,311

psp - 8,512

wii - 33,461

ds - 51,900

Ps3 does seem to be picking up a little vs the 360, but the wii's still way ahead, christ knows what all those wii owners are actually playing.

For PS3 owners.

Warhawk out in 4 days - available as download off PSN £19.99 (Hard copy with bluetooth headset inc in shops Sept £39.99)

EDGE Review:

Bioshock - 8/10

Warhawk - 8/10

Battlefield type game system.

Warhawk does look very nice, and it's exactly what the ps3 needs. Same score as bioshock and space giraffe though? Edge are on crack. I notice they give heavanly sword 6/10, you were quiet about that. Here's all this months edge scores:

Heavenly Sword - 6

Bioshock - 8

Warhawk - 8

MOH Airborne - 7

Stuntman Ignition - 6

Fatal Interia - 6

MotoGP 07 - 7

Heroes of Mana - 6

Space Giraffe - 8

Glory Days 2 - 4

Wing Commander Arena - 4

Upgrade your HD to 120GB:

"We took the drive out of our PS3 and found it to be a Seagate Momentus 5400rpm 60Gb 2.5inch SATA drive. We swapped ours out effortlessly for a Seagate Momentus 120Gb 2.5inch SATA drive and it worked perfectly. Remove the cover flap on the bottom of your PS3 with a fingernail. Undo the blue screw and slide the drive over to the right and out of your PS3. Undo the four screws on the 'caddy' and remove the old drive.

Put your new drive in the caddy (it should be exactly the same size, of course) and re-do the four screws. Slot it back in and slide to the left to make the connections. Re-do the blue screw, pop the cover back on and restart your PS3. Say 'yes' to the message on screen and voila - new super-size hard-drive. (Go to Settings, System Settings, System Information to check)."

You can get the drives here: £49.08 (Exc vat) £57.67 (Inc vat)

http://www.it247.com/Product/54-ST9120822A..._GB_ATA_100.htm

egm (noted for being very stingy) gave these ratings in their mag

heavenly sword 8, 8, 9

warhawk 8.5, 7, 8.5

Neither game are my cup of tea but its good to see the ps3 starting to get a few more decent things out.

Also from everyone at the leipzig conference all the impressions are the ps3 version of pro evo is running better and looking better than the pc/360 versions. Dont think it will be a big enough margin to make my 360 owning mates get a ps3 for pro evo tho... boo.

Upgrade your HD to 120GB:

"We took the drive out of our PS3 and found it to be a Seagate Momentus 5400rpm 60Gb 2.5inch SATA drive. We swapped ours out effortlessly for a Seagate Momentus 120Gb 2.5inch SATA drive and it worked perfectly. Remove the cover flap on the bottom of your PS3 with a fingernail. Undo the blue screw and slide the drive over to the right and out of your PS3. Undo the four screws on the 'caddy' and remove the old drive.

Put your new drive in the caddy (it should be exactly the same size, of course) and re-do the four screws. Slot it back in and slide to the left to make the connections. Re-do the blue screw, pop the cover back on and restart your PS3. Say 'yes' to the message on screen and voila - new super-size hard-drive. (Go to Settings, System Settings, System Information to check)."

You can get the drives here: £49.08 (Exc vat) £57.67 (Inc vat)

http://www.it247.com/Product/54-ST9120822A..._GB_ATA_100.htm

Quick question, when you changed your hard drive, were you able to download all the stuff you paid for previously? I've bought Tekken and a couple of the other cheaper games and I dont really want to pay for them again.

I haven't changed mine yet - just passing on the knowledge. So not really sure.

EDIT: There's some information here including pics on updatign your HD: http://uk.gamespot.com/features/6176090/index.html

"Once you have your upgrade drive, the next step is to back up the data on your current PS3 hard drive to an external storage unit. You can skip this step if you aren't attached to your music, videos, and game saves, but most of us will probably want to save all that information. The PS3 has a built-in software backup utility that can copy the PS3's hard-drive contents to an external storage device, such as a USB thumb drive or a memory stick. The removable storage device must use the FAT32 file system in order for the PS3 to recognize it. If you have an external hard drive that's formatted in NTFS, you can use the Disk Management utility in Windows to reformat the drive, but you'll need to create partitions on large external hard drives because Windows can only do FAT32 on drives 32GB or smaller."

Archived