Ps3 Announced

the mo beats experience

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Dear Retailer,

I am writing to you to confirm the important events taking place on Wednesday 10 October.

1) Sony will be launching the PlayStation 3 40GB Console at an SRP of £299.99, your cost price for which is £****** effective immediately.

2) The current PlayStation 3 60GB Starter Pack will cease at midnight on the 9th October.

3) The new PlayStation 3 60GB Value Pack will commence on the 10 October with the following components:

PlayStation 3 60GB Console and any 2 of the following titles:

Formula 1 Championship Edition, Genji - Days of the Blade, Motorstorm, Resistance Fall of Man, Ridge Racer 7, Heavenly Sword and Lair.

This will launch at an SRP of £349.99, and your cost price for the PlayStation 3 60GB console is £******

We believe that both configurations offer a superb choice for consumers and this new price point together with an even more competitive offering will present a great opportunity for sales during the peak trading period.

Yours sincerely,

Margaret Pearson

Commercial Director

If anyone wants the powerpoint file which explains the differences, just pm me your email and I'll send it to you

Full Sony press release is here:

http://www.scee.presscentre.com/Content/De...mp;NewsAreaID=2

The new model is no longer backwards compatible with PlayStation®2 titles, reflecting both the reduced emphasis placed on this feature amongst later purchasers of PS3, as well as the availability of a more extensive line-up of PS3 specific titles (a total of 65 titles across all genres by Christmas).

So, confirmed no BC.

Full Sony press release is here:

http://www.scee.presscentre.com/Content/De...mp;NewsAreaID=2

The new model is no longer backwards compatible with PlayStation®2 titles, reflecting both the reduced emphasis placed on this feature amongst later purchasers of PS3, as well as the availability of a more extensive line-up of PS3 specific titles (a total of 65 titles across all genres by Christmas).

So, confirmed no BC.

Desperate times call for desperate measures! Sony - on the ropes!

Hopefully MS will drop the price of the Elite again, at £249.99 it would be an irresistible proposition.

it's good news, a 40gig HD is plenty big enough methinks...I'll pick up a cheap PS2 to play Rogue Galaxy and Steambot Chronicles...

I think I'll pick one up next month

But won't you want one with HDMI for use with your new tele...?

I'm thinking the 40gb version has been released for parents to buy their kids for xmas. Not many kids have HD tvs in their room...plus, not many parents would want to spend the amount of money required for a 60gb PS3.

it's good news, a 40gig HD is plenty big enough methinks...I'll pick up a cheap PS2 to play Rogue Galaxy and Steambot Chronicles...

I think I'll pick one up next month

Just upgrade the HD mate. Sean put a 120GB (£50) straight in his no probs, but now you can get bigger for good prices.

But won't you want one with HDMI for use with your new tele...?

The 40gb has hdmi. Smaller Hard Disk, Two USB instead of four, no memorycard slot. That's the difference I think.

Ah right, I read that it had no HDMI. In fact, there was a pic comparing the 2 versions (dunno where they got it from so it may all be photoshoped lies) and there was no HDMI slot.

Are they the only differences? 2 instead of 4 usb's, no bc, and a smaller harddrive on the 40gb model? I've just invested in a 500gb external jobbie so disc space not a problem, not arsed about playing old games either, what do you need more than 2 usb's for?

Got the wonga now, so wonderin' whether to go for the pre 9th or the 40gb model.

Yeah it is. Is the new 60gb package retaining the bc then? Not doing a whole new model? Like i said though, i'm not buying a new machine to play old games, still got my PS2 anyway.

Glad i saw this thread tonight, i think i was probably gonna head to hmv tomorrow to get the £425 package.

Also, it's been confirmed that once the stocks of the 60GB PS3 are gone, that's it, no more, and the 40GB model becomes "the" Euro PS3.

So if you do want BC (even the software crippled variety), get your 60GB PS3 now!

And don't forget this lovely quotation from Sony's cuddly Phil Harrison, less than one year ago......

"Backwards compatibility, as you know from PlayStation One and PlayStation 2, is a core value of what we believe we should offer. And access to the library of content people have created, bought for themselves, and accumulated over the years is necessary to create a format. PlayStation is a format meaning that it transcends many devices -- PSOne, PS2, and now PS3" - Phil Harrison, Sony, December 2006.

I've heard Sony's latest PS3 madness (with regard to the £299 40GB model) described thus elsewhere......

Also price cut - normal 60GB PS3 plus two games plus one controller, £350.

The more I look at the story the more I have to rub my eyes in disbelief and amazement. All the trouble of creating a whole new unit with different chips and ports and drive size, just to make an SKU that nobody in their right fucking mind would ever buy. Chuck away backwards compatibility, 20GB of drive space and a load of extra ports to save a piddly 50 quid? You'd have to be a twat and a half. Hell, you could probably still get £50 for your old PS2, and have everything in one neat box. (And from Maguire's quote it actually sounds like the cheapo model doesn't come with any games either, which is unbelievable.)

Insane. Absolutely insane. More and more, PS3 looks like some kind of elaborate tax-loss plan.

Archived