Ps3 Announced

the mo beats experience

ai droid / slim has forgotten to post up the latest NPD hardware figures. Here you go:

1. Nintendo Wii: 274,000

2. Playstation 3: 269,000

3. Playstation 2: 265,000

4. Nintendo DS: 251,000

5. PlayStation Portable: 230,000

6. Xbox 360: 230,000

Oh and UK:

ChartTrack has also revealed that the Sony console has been outselling 360 for the last month. “It has been outselling 360 for the last four weeks, but they were neck and neck over the Christmas period, weeks 49-52,” said ChartTrack director Dorian Bloch.

The charts authority also confirmed that PS3 hit a million UK sales faster than its predecessor PS2.

psthreetamax

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
ai droid / slim has forgotten to post up the latest NPD hardware figures. Here you go:

Aw, I get slagged for posting them, but I guess it's ok provided the psthreetamax is out in front? The PS3's done well over xmas, sure, there's a couple of interesting influences on these figures though:

1, the 360 is actually out of stock in the usa currently, with microsoft unable to meet demand over xmas. The ps3 isn't, so that's hindered the 360 sales quite considerably by all accounts. If you pop onto somewhere like amazon and try to buy a 360, they're out, and the ps3 is in. The wii is also still out of stock everywhere, which obviously harms sales.

2, blu ray is emerging as a clear winner for consumers over hddvd, and the ps3 is still about the best value bd movie player there is.

The 2nd point is really shown through the attach rate on software, still pretty bad for the ps3, eg Jans sales:

1. (Xbox 360) Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare - 330,900

2. (Wii) WiiPlay - 298,100

3. (Wii) Guitar Hero III: Legends of Rock - 239,600

4. (Xbox 360) Rock Band - 183,800

5. (Xbox 360) Guitar Hero III: Legends of Rock - 182,700

6. (Wii) Super Mario Galaxy - 172,000

7. (Xbox 360) Burnout: Paradise - 144,100

8. (PlayStation 3) Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare - 140,000

9. (Nintendo DS) Mario Party - 138,500

10. (Nintendo DS) Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games - 133,000

..pretty abysmal figures for the ps3, people are buying it as a bd movie player, and not a games console.

I'm glad it's doing well, I'm a lot less critical of the ps3 since they stopped charging far too much for it and stopped saying it's raw power would kill the interweb, and we definately need a proper powerful console doing well in japan, or we'll get nowt but wii games coming through.

Some other interesting figures, here's the console sales at the same stage in their life, 14 months after launch each:

Wii - 7,654,000

Xbox 360 - 4,826,000

PlayStation 3 - 3,519,000

..so the ps3's got some big gains to make.

Spanna, sorry, no clue what you said there as I don't speak Chav.

This is an internet forum not a GCSE english class. But while your being high and almighty.

It's not when you're watching vids/music/on the dash. It sounds like a bloody hovercraft when playing a game off dvd though.

It's two spaces after a full stop slimy me lad.

There, everything is all square again. Peace to the world.

It's two spaces after a full stop slimy me lad.

There, everything is all square again. Peace to the world.

It's made my day that you searched back to December to find something! Ans is right, two spaces is a style consideration, not anything to do with the language. HTML strips double spaces, so you can't physically do two spaces on a webpage without using tags, notice your posts have one space too.

I hope the PS3 does do well, if developers actually manage to grips with the architecture, we might see some stuff coming out for it that the 360 just isn't capable of.

That said, the software sales make it pretty clear that the PS3 is selling as a Blu-Ray player as much as anything else, for anyone wanting a hi-def movie player, the PS3 is basically the default choice, especially since it's looking increasingly like Blu-Ray is going to win the format war. Why spend £250 on a standalone Blu-Ray player, when an extra £50 effectively gets you a PS3 as well?

I've still seen nothing on the PS3 that's tempted me to buy one, the latest 360 vs PS3 face-off at Eurogamer suggests that developers are getting more out of the PS3 now, and Criterion have demonstrated with Burnout Paradise that it can do anything the 360 can do - but there's nothing on the PS3 that makes it a must-have to my mind, especially since I don't give a bald monkey's ass about hi-def.

If nothing else, there needs to be a successful 'powerful' console in Japan, otherwise the Wii will take over the world, and whilst the Wii is nice enough, it does have some pretty serious limitations.

I hope the PS3 does do well, if developers actually manage to grips with the architecture, we might see some stuff coming out for it that the 360 just isn't capable of.

See, that's the kind of thing that's a windup for me. Hate to retread stuff that we've covered many times here, but the ps3 isn't more powerful than the 360, other than the BD capacity. It's GPU is considerably weaker and it's non FP performance is weaker. When you add the FP of the spu's, when used correctly, you get a console kind of equally powerful as the 360. All this daftness from Ken Kutaragi saying the ps3 would basically create the matrix and stuff, silly.

That said, the software sales make it pretty clear that the PS3 is selling as a Blu-Ray player as much as anything else, for anyone wanting a hi-def movie player, the PS3 is basically the default choice, especially since it's looking increasingly like Blu-Ray is going to win the format war. Why spend £250 on a standalone Blu-Ray player, when an extra £50 effectively gets you a PS3 as well?

Exactly right, it's an awsome proposition if you want a BD player. I don't understand why people are buying media centres either now that the 360 and ps3 do all that stuff, and you get a console for free.

If nothing else, there needs to be a successful 'powerful' console in Japan, otherwise the Wii will take over the world, and whilst the Wii is nice enough, it does have some pretty serious limitations.

Fully agree, given the 360's failure in japan, the ps3 needs to succeed, the wii is great, but it's not really competition.

See, that's the kind of thing that's a windup for me. Hate to retread stuff that we've covered many times here, but the ps3 isn't more powerful than the 360, other than the BD capacity. It's GPU is considerably weaker and it's non FP performance is weaker. When you add the FP of the spu's, when used correctly, you get a console kind of equally powerful as the 360. All this daftness from Ken Kutaragi saying the ps3 would basically create the matrix and stuff, silly.

Hmmm it depends what you read and who's telling the truth, and how you crunch the numbers.

The cell architecture doesn't really compare 'properly' to a traditional setup like the 360 has in place, so it's hard to quantify exactly what it might be capable of.

Time will tell I suppose, although you'd at least expect Sony to pull something stunning out of the bag if the PS3 is capable of it. (It was only really Sega's own coders who ever managed to properly exploit the Saturn's power, and that was towards the end of its life.)

Hmmm it depends what you read and who's telling the truth, and how you crunch the numbers.

The cell architecture doesn't really compare 'properly' to a traditional setup like the 360 has in place, so it's hard to quantify exactly what it might be capable of.

I've run a games mailing list for about ten years, there's quite a few coders on there that work on both the ps3 and the 360, they're a pretty reliable source.

The architecture compares fine, it's a games console, what matters in the main is 3d peformance, and in that regard the ps3 is slightly behind the 360, but it claws some points back with the capacity of the BD drive. They're roughly equal, which isn't so bad now the ps3 has dropped in price, but it was really stupid when the ps3 cost so much more and wasn't any better to justify the extra cost.

Besides, it's really about the games, if anything needed having, I'd have a ps3, but there isn't anything. And on the radar there isn't anything until FF13 for me or team ico's release, which could be years away.

I see Walmart is stopping selling Hd-dvds. That is the final blow to hd-dvd. The battle is basically won now.

Shows Sony made completely the right business decision in putting the bluray drive in the PS3, even with it giving the initial relatively high cost.

ps. Ans that is how your taught to type in school. I know your a too old to have had computers in school so I wont hold it against you :P . and slime I wasnt talking about language, I was joining in the pathetic pedantic fun you love so much.

Shows Sony made completely the right business decision in putting the bluray drive in the PS3, even with it giving the initial relatively high cost.

Not really so far, as each console is sold at a loss, and the game sales are poor.

ps. Ans that is how your taught to type in school. I know your a too old to have had computers in school so I wont hold it against you :P . and slime I wasnt talking about language, I was joining in the pathetic pedantic fun you love so much.

Hardly pedantic if you're wrong.

I see Walmart is stopping selling Hd-dvds. That is the final blow to hd-dvd. The battle is basically won now.

No the nail in the coffin is toshiba dropping hd-dvd :P

http://ps3.qj.net/Toshiba-to-withdraw-HD-D...g/49/aid/113843

No official announcement yet but seems to be a reliable source

Oh well :lol:

Archived