[BBC News] Extra time for electoral survey

Newsbot

Just to clarify my previous suggestion as its a bit confusing to read.

Principles: 8 x 3 seat constituencies. No two constituency electorate size varying by more than 3%.

Opton One:

Douglas North 3 seats [current Douglas North plus some of Douglas East]

Douglas Central and Middle 3 seats [current Douglas West and most/some of Middle]

Douglas South 3 seats [current Douglas South plus some of Douglas East]

Onchan 3 seats [current Onchan maybe with some minor adjustments]

North-East 3 seats [ current Ramsey and Garff]

North-West 3 seats [current Ayre, Michael, north Glenfaba and maybe Peel]

South Central 3 seats [Castletown, Malew & Santon, south Glenfaba maybe bits of Middle and Peel]

Rushen 3 seats [current Rushen maybe with some minor adjustments]

With all the caveats already listed...

Anybody want to suggest further options?

How about something entirely radical and that is to have a kind of senate Government, where all members are elected not on a geographical basis but on an Island wide basis. Local issues are left to the local authorities, but running the Island is left to a cadre of MHKs voted for by the whole Island and get some real quality in there.

It does seem bizarre that on the one hand, MHKs are looking after the interests of Mrs Miggins and her cat, whilst on the other, expected to to decide on major strategic matters such as tax policy, housing, immigration, etc.

The Island would be a very small constituency elsewhere.

Lonan and Cronky, (good post) Either Doric was drunk and got kicked out before closing time and thought he'd see who would bite, or he wants to win a prize for the stupidest post I have ever read on this site.

Just to clarify my previous suggestion as its a bit confusing to read.

Principles: 8 x 3 seat constituencies. No two constituency electorate size varying by more than 3%.

Opton One:

Douglas North 3 seats [current Douglas North plus some of Douglas East]

Douglas Central and Middle 3 seats [current Douglas West and most/some of Middle]

Douglas South 3 seats [current Douglas South plus some of Douglas East]

Onchan 3 seats [current Onchan maybe with some minor adjustments]

North-East 3 seats [ current Ramsey and Garff]

North-West 3 seats [current Ayre, Michael, north Glenfaba and maybe Peel]

South Central 3 seats [Castletown, Malew & Santon, south Glenfaba maybe bits of Middle and Peel]

Rushen 3 seats [current Rushen maybe with some minor adjustments]

With all the caveats already listed...

Anybody want to suggest further options?

just to sy the accepeted deviation fro median voter or population size is 15% otherwise you would have to vary boundaries every year. In IOM we presently have constituencies which are 40% above and 40 % below.

You need to aim at boundaries which renmain fixed for 30 yeras ideally

just to sy the accepeted deviation fro median voter or population size is 15% otherwise you would have to vary boundaries every year. In IOM we presently have constituencies which are 40% above and 40 % below.

You need to aim at boundaries which renmain fixed for 30 yeras ideally

I noticed the 15% deviation after posting the suggestion.

OK. That makes it a lot easier to take natural or community boundaries into account.

I would have thought 15% for an initial deviation is on the high side though - precisely because once they are determined you would want boundaries to remain fixed for a reasonable period of time (30 years sounds high).

If the size of constituencies deviate by 15% to start off with, then after say 15 or 20 years the deviation could become unacceptably large. 40% is ridiculous! I guess the ideal would be to take into account projects on the location of possible future population movements - but that is a very inexact science.

Does anybody know what best practice is elsewhere on the degree of deviation - and what is considered the optimal length of time between boundary reviews?

Archived