Are Our Schools Being Swamped By Immigrants?

Gladys

After speaking to two different people who work in different places in the IOM education system, they both say that funds earmarked for special needs children are being diverted to pay for immigrant children to be taught english!

Full marks to the MHK who has raised this issue.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Full marks to the MHK who has raised this issue.

'Full Marks' is the name of a liquid that is used to get rid of head lice. I'm not sure it's going to work on a gobby MHK.

Education Authorities in the UK have been providing teachers and resources for pupils who need to learn English for the last 25 years. i have a friend who has just retired after

doing it happily for 20 years.

Now the IOM is catching up.

Teachers here all need to have special needs awareness because it is not the responsibility of one ESL teacher to teach these children. They need to be fully integrated into all lessons and school activities.

One of the problems may be in planning the special needs service and knowing the numbers. But one would hope that when parents arrive they have to register to say 'We will be living in ---------- We have 2 children who will be going to the local school and they will need extra help to learn English.'

I wonder what facilities there are for adults to learn the language as well.

The start of the end for Libvans?

They don't speak with one voice and certainly not a liberal voice on this issue.

The liberal voice would welcome the diversity and exposure to a different culture.

Perhaps he means too many youngsters studying Manx!

Question-What's liberal about Liberal Vannin? Certainly not their attitudes.

After speaking to two different people who work in different places in the IOM education system, they both say that funds earmarked for special needs children are being diverted to pay for immigrant children to be taught english!

You say being diverted from special needs but surely these children are classed as children with special needs i.e. their need for help with the English language.

Their parents are contributing to the economy, why should their children be seen as second class citizens unworthy of the standard of education other children get. If it was a manx born child who had an extremely poor grasp of English and who's parents contributed nothing to the economy nobody would have even raised this as an issue.

The way Mr. Malarkey has introduced this topic into public debate is questionable to say the least, along with his membership of Liberal Vannin.

I don't think there's any question that it's important for all children in island schools be given the support they need to make the most of their potential. Blair has disappointed me fairly constantly of late, but his 1997 election campaign on 'education, education, education' was spot on. Nothing will ensure the peace and prosperity of the world in the long-term better than high educational standards. If education is indeed underfunded, then that should be redressed: there seem to be plenty of spurious government projects with a high cost/benefit ratio that could be axed.

The negativity and inward-looking attitude of some disturbs me. There are clear developmental benefits, both social and intellectual, for children who are educated in an environment where their peers have different backgrounds and values, and who speak other languages or different dialects of english. If we want the Isle of Man to have a successful future, then we should value diversity and encourage migration... if we'd prefer to be perceived as (and ultimately become) a bunch of inbred hicks, then isolationist policies should be the order of the day. I'm not so naive as to believe that there is such a clear dichotomy, but it captures the essence of the choice we face.

As a Manx person sometimes when traveling I've been mistaken for a Scouser, and an American once said to me "Gee, it's just like talking to one of the Beatles"

I too have been mistaken for one by ignorant Americans - I find punching them in the face and stealing their wallet is the best way to deal with it.

(Must say I thought it profoundly ironic that the first "beachcomber" interviewed by the BBC after the wreck in Devon was a scouser - he must've smelled the free booty from 40 miles away).

The start of the end for Libvans?

Not sure it hasn't already ended - the website is still displaying pre-election content. Surely, by now, the battle plan for the next five years should be available for inspection, and what ever happened to all the other faces involved with it? Maybe interest is fading, after operation PKforCM failed..

I was a little disconcerted by this bandwagon approach to something that, to the best of my knowledge, is not a problem here, and the quite unliberal attitude displayed.

Ah..bandwagon - there's a familiar term from the pre-election period, when certain people jumped on every available one to become more popular. We're not exactly in Berlin, where this whole issue actually is a problem by now, so a bit more sensible and more quiet approach would have been nice. Still, nice to know that I'm welcome to work and pay my taxes here, as long as I don't send my stupid immigrant children to a manx school - Freedom to Flourish? Not in South Douglas, it seems...

If we want the Isle of Man to have a successful future, then we should value diversity and encourage migration...

The Isle of Man has a successful present is due to it's successful past. This is down to the nature of it's own people already here. Immigration won't improve it but change it into something we don't yet understand.

Still, nice to know that I'm welcome to work and pay my taxes here, as long as I don't send my stupid immigrant children to a manx school - Freedom to Flourish? Not in South Douglas, it seems...

Your English is better than most other posters ... I doubt your children would be in need of any additional support but I accept your point.

There is a serious point to be made on taxes etc though. We are a low tax economy trying to provide the sort of infrastructure that you generally only get in high tax economies (like Germany and elsewhere). I think a little give and take is required. We shouldn't make such an issue of the costs for this extra service but then again the IOM is not the UK and people coming here should not expect the resources and support to be the same as the UK either as we are a small economy and they don't pay much (proportionately) in tax. The same applies for healthcare - we've only got so much money to go round and someone coming here paying 10% tax on a cleaning job ain't going to make that much of a difference in terms of funding when it costs thousands of pounds a year to educate and provide healthcare for their child.

One of the biggest concerns raised on the doorstep at election time was immigration, especially in Douglas.

At the Douglas East hustings meeting in the Villa, the topic of the amount of resources being taken up teaching non-English speaking schoolchildren was one of the main subjects.

It is easy to step on the moral high ground of the Liberal Lets Love All The World highground, but I think Mr Malarkey is taking up the genuine concerns of some of his constituents.

The real social problems here are being caused by scumbags from the Isle of Man who enforce their scumbag cultures within certain communities. The immigrants aren't causing the problems as I see it - but some representatives from Mr Mallarkey's constituency certainly are.... plastic scousers and all.

Bring back the REAL Manxmen! And REAL Manx Gals! Some people are forgetting that the identity comes from the attitude and not the attitude from the identity. Our grandparents knew where it was at...

Archived