[BBC News] Business support for smoking ban

Newsbot

As a default there used to be Smoking and Non-smoking areas in the pubs when I were a lad. In fact there was often a room called:

The Smoke Room.

The reeking bastards were segregated then, but they collectively decided to say "bollocks, my life and my addiction is more important and of course more powerful than your life and your non-addiction". See Stu Peters/Lonan3/Albert Tatlock posts for further details.

The smokers have brought this on themselves with their "me, me, me" selfishness.

......cue post from a timid smoker who says they only smoke at home and when in the company of non-smokers they always ask is it OK for them to smoke etc.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply
As a default there used to be Smoking and Non-smoking areas in the pubs when I were a lad. In fact there was often a room called:

The Smoke Room.

The reeking bastards were segregated then, but they collectively decided to say "bollocks, my life and my addiction is more important and of course more powerful than your life and your non-addiction". See Stu Peters/Lonan3/Albert Tatlock posts for further details.

The smokers have brought this on themselves with their "me, me, me" selfishness.

......cue post from a timid smoker who says they only smoke at home and when in the company of non-smokers they always ask is it OK for them to smoke etc.

People that enter my home have 2 choices, put up with me smoking or leave the building, easy as. Also I am really considering the possibility of giving up smoking, but due to this post and others like it, I've decided I'm just going to stop inhaling, therefore I will be healthier but still in the position to annoy plonkers like yourself when I go out.

Which pubs are likely to cater for smokers on the island I wonder?

In Scotland and Ireland many pubs were late putting in planning applications and many pubs suffered even more because of the lack of foresight, and a backlog of applications. I can't see the town pubs I go to having the room to offer such facilities so I will probably be looking for a new local. Any suggestions that don't involve driving?

Why are you concerned I thought you were leaving these shores?

Albert TatlockJan 30 2007, 03:18 PM

QUOTE(dwatterson @ Jan 30 2007, 01:27 PM)

what a filthy, stinking habit!

I'm glad I'm going abroad to work. I've had enough of this nanny facism. The country's full of ****wits who think they'll live forever and can even change the weather.

In Scotland and Ireland many pubs were late putting in planning applications and many pubs suffered even more because of the lack of foresight, and a backlog of applications. I can't see the town pubs I go to having the room to offer such facilities so I will probably be looking for a new local. Any suggestions that don't involve driving?

Yes...get a taxi! A man of your means can easily afford it!

I'm glad I'm going abroad to work. I've had enough of this nanny facism. The country's full of ****wits who think they'll live forever and can even change the weather.

Three months away and then three months back - I shall smoke and drink as much as I want when away and then mostly detox for the three months back - I didn't say I was emigrating - not that it is any of your business smartarse.

I suppose Wetherspoons don't know much about the pub trade.

They stopped their pub expansion plans a couple of years ago, worried about the effects of a smoking ban. Then they ran about 60 non-smoking pubs to see what would happen. And they worked.

Now plans to open 30-40 new pubs a year -

Quote:

"The company already prohibits smoking in many of its pubs, and said it would invest £35m ($69m) in the new sites.

"Our non-smoking pubs have proven very popular and this has given us the impetus to open more pubs in 2007," said Wetherspoon chief executive John Hutson.

"Although the non-smoking ban might affect sales in all pubs when it is introduced, we are confident that in the long-term it will result in more people visiting pubs and that it will be a positive move."

Wetherspoon added that it planned to spend £25m on its existing estate of 662 pubs, including creating smoking areas outside of pubs. "

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/6214885.stm

I suppose Wetherspoons don't know much about the pub trade.

They stopped their pub expansion plans a couple of years ago, worried about the effects of a smoking ban. Then they ran about 60 non-smoking pubs to see what would happen. And they worked.

Now plans to open 30-40 new pubs a year -

Quote:

"The company already prohibits smoking in many of its pubs, and said it would invest £35m ($69m) in the new sites.

"Our non-smoking pubs have proven very popular and this has given us the impetus to open more pubs in 2007," said Wetherspoon chief executive John Hutson.

"Although the non-smoking ban might affect sales in all pubs when it is introduced, we are confident that in the long-term it will result in more people visiting pubs and that it will be a positive move."

Wetherspoon added that it planned to spend £25m on its existing estate of 662 pubs, including creating smoking areas outside of pubs. "

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/6214885.stm

This is how the market should have been allowed to sort out the demand for smoking and non-smoking premises in the first place. Wetherspoons is a good chain.

Unfortunately when the ban comes in Wetherspoons will suddenly be under competition from all pubs. That said, Wetherspoons do offer a very good service, good beer, reasonably priced good food, and sport TV etc. and may gain more business from some of the other pubs simply because they are better at doing it, (and if you have noticed have recently changed their market target more toward familes in many places). Personally though I would be currently putting expansion plans temporaily on hold because of this 'new' competition, and I'd put money on Wetherspoons trade actually levelling off at first and then dropping slightly six months into the ban.

The business 'sense' of one chain shouldn't be confused with the whole market - nor can it be used as an example to infer that millions of non-smokers are sat waiting to rush into pubs once there is a ban in place. Many smokers who are more often the regulars in pubs drinking two pints an hour and maybe eating out, are going to be replaced by less people drinking half a coke for an hour and maybe eating out - with on-licence trade dropping and off-licence trade rising as many people stay at home drinking and smoking and giving their kids asthma instead of supporting someone's business and smoking away from their children in designated pubs.

Fair enough. I was only requesting confirmation as your posts did seem slightly contradictarty and for that you take offense? I think somebody may have an issue ot three!

I can't see the town pubs I go to having the room to offer such facilities so I will probably be looking for a new local. Any suggestions that don't involve driving?

Three months away and then three months back - I shall smoke and drink as much as I want when away and then mostly detox for the three months back - I didn't say I was emigrating - not that it is any of your business smartarse.

According to MR: "The department of Local Government and the Environment has issued over three thousand businesses with information packs relating to the forthcoming smoking ban. It's looking for comments about plans to restrict lighting up in public places, which will come into effect in March 2008."

There's still time to lobby. Who's up for a demo?

Some good posts in this thread - as well as the usual intolerant "I don't do it so you can't" fascists.

I've been making the point for ages (as does Brad) that IF it's so bad for us all, the Governments should just ban tobacco sales, so that those of us with Lack of Moral Fibre CAN give them up once and for all. I certainly wouldn't pay black market prices for smokes and reckon quitting (or more to the point STAYING off them) would be so much easier if cigarettes weren't available everywhere I go. We're junkies (although whether we're addicted to the nicotine or the habit itself is another debate), and the answer is cold turkey with no option to fall off the wagon.

I heard once that IOMG rakes in £55,000 a DAY in tobacco taxes though, so it's not surprising that smokes are still on sale. I remember a news story from the UK that said tobacco taxes grossed (IIRC)£9.5 billion, of which £7 billion was 'profit' - so I would dispute the local health experts who say all the taxes raised here go on smoking-related healthcare (I'm sure - as in most things - that we generally mirror the UK stats /1000).

To Lonan3's well-constructed argument, the difference here is that we've been allowed (encouraged even) to smoke ever since Walter Raleigh brought tobacco from the New Colonies (if you believe Bob Newhart, anyway), so whilst DWatterson might not be allowed to do 'plenty of things in bars, clubs and restaurants', chances are that he never could. Although dwarf throwing contests were NEVER a great idea...

To all those who think smoking is a sick aberration akin to paedophilia, and that drinking to excess is perfectly acceptable, I would just point you to the newspaper or court reports on the other Manx news websites. Strikes me that booze is involved in almost EVERY reported crime - most of it anti-social, disruptive or just plain nasty. And I'm not just citing major excess - the sniff of a barmaid's apron seems to turn many normally bright and friendly people into leering, lairy, loud arseholes. And the more, the messier.

BTW I'm not anti-drinking - but we've brought up a generation of alcoholics who think moderation is for wimps.

Bill Hicks was MUCH more than a comic. His observation that Governments like the idea of anaesthetised beery masses watching reality TV and paying lots of taxes (HOW much of every pint of that processed water is tax??) was a snapshot of the 1990's that's even more astute today. He reckoned we should all smoke dope instead - any crashes would be at 4mph and nobody would fight.

With you 100 per cent (first time ever!).

According to MR: "The department of Local Government and the Environment has issued over three thousand businesses with information packs relating to the forthcoming smoking ban. It's looking for comments about plans to restrict lighting up in public places, which will come into effect in March 2008."

There's still time to lobby. Who's up for a demo?

Yeah why not, half these f++kwits dont realize that its their freedoms that are next on the list. I cannot wait to see them ban alcohol,"second biggest killer in the US"

Not bother me thou, I dont drink.

Yeah why not, half these f++kwits dont realize that its their freedoms that are next on the list. I cannot wait to see them ban alcohol,"second biggest killer in the US"

Not bother me thou, I dont drink.

Me neither - would be more than happy to give it the boot for the second time!

Archived