Braddan Bridge

Lonan3

I'd have thought that the best plan for BB would be to sling a bridge across the gap behind the house and make one big roundabout rather than the two, they could use the house as the new ambulance HQ, and maybe turn the QB into a pub ! ;)

guess they've just had the dinkys out on the desk again though :(

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The tree is already something of a roundabout as traffic does move around it. At least it will stop (either by discouraging or physically stopping) the idiots who use a roundabout as a right hand turn. If people used roundabouts as a roundabout rather than try to cut across it, traffic would flow more easily. That is why these painted roundabouts do very little to help; people just cut across.

Dots of white paint don't make a roundabout; just like it's OK to cross to the other side of the road with a broken centre line in normal driving to, say, improve visibility, so there's nothing wrong with cutting across a spot of paint in the road. That's what I do all the time and I've never impeded the flow of traffic - in fact, I've definitely improved it by clearing the junction in a much more efficient manner and if I add up the distance I save each time, I'm making a positive contribution towards reducing emissions:)

The idiots are the ones who take the 20 yard unnecessary detour in a wild loop to the left before swerving right - more fool them! Reminds me of the w*nkers who turn left (or right) off a road, having indicated (if you're lucky) and as part of the turning manouvre do a huge loop to the right (or left) because they can't be arsed turning the steering wheel properly.

The only problems at the bottom of Braddan Bridge are 1) the tossers who can't position their car to turn right towards Peel having come from the hospital direction (again because they can't be arsed to turn their steering wheel properly) and in doing so block traffic that wants to go left to QB and 2) the pavement should be made narrower so two wider lanes can be installed thus rendering aforementioned tactic not so selfish.

As far as moving trees, yes it is possible but not usually with an Oak, this is due to the root system which in this case has a tap root which can extend as much as 60 foot deep and the fibrous roots more than twice the diameter of the branches, to attempt to move it would kill it and so achieve nothing apart from having to dig up the entire road.

Oak trees can be moved - even old ones.

If not over here, I'm sure there will be people capable of doing this in the UK. The only real problem might be any utilities affecting the root ball.

I still don't think this is about artics negotiating around it, some plank is going to eventually hit it. It is likely to be costly, but this isn't just any tree is it? I'm only a republican just trying to protect people's culture here.

Dots of white paint don't make a roundabout; just like it's OK to cross to the other side of the road with a broken centre line in normal driving to, say, improve visibility, so there's nothing wrong with cutting across a spot of paint in the road. That's what I do all the time and I've never impeded the flow of traffic - in fact, I've definitely improved it by clearing the junction in a much more efficient manner and if I add up the distance I save each time, I'm making a positive contribution towards reducing emissions:)

The idiots are the ones who take the 20 yard unnecessary detour in a wild loop to the left before swerving right - more fool them! Reminds me of the w*nkers who turn left (or right) off a road, having indicated (if you're lucky) and as part of the turning manouvre do a huge loop to the right (or left) because they can't be arsed turning the steering wheel properly.

The only problems at the bottom of Braddan Bridge are 1) the tossers who can't position their car to turn right towards Peel having come from the hospital direction (again because they can't be arsed to turn their steering wheel properly) and in doing so block traffic that wants to go left to QB and 2) the pavement should be made narrower so two wider lanes can be installed thus rendering aforementioned tactic not so selfish.

The highway code and the law says YOU are just plain wrong

164: Mini-roundabouts Approach these in the same way as normal roundabouts. All vehicles MUST pass round the central markings except large vehicles which are physically incapable of doing so. Remember, there is less space to manoeuvre and less time to signal. Beware of vehicles making U-turns.

Laws RTA 1988 sect 36 & TSRGD reg 10(1), 16(1)

164: Mini-roundabouts Approach these in the same way as normal roundabouts. All vehicles MUST pass round the central markings except large vehicles which are physically incapable of doing so. Remember, there is less space to manoeuvre and less time to signal. Beware of vehicles making U-turns.

Laws RTA 1988 sect 36 & TSRGD reg 10(1), 16(1)

Doesn't make it sensible though does it and anyway, if I'm wrong, as you sound expert on the RTA and Highway Code, what is the definition of passing 'round'? Can I allow a tyre to touch the paint or I'll go to jail and not pass "GO"? Placing the dot in such a place as to make it ridiculous not to touch the paint, especially where to do so would create uncertainty in the minds of other road users as to which direction I'm headed (ie the dots at Signpost Corner, the Whitestone, Johnny Watterson's, Corkill's Garage, QB, Ballafletcher Road, Governor's Bridge; actually, every dot I can think of!) who ever doesn't touch the paint? At least I don't go against the flow of traffic by cutting the dot out altogether!

In the Isle of Man the DoT use dots instead of designing road junctions properly, like they're the answer to all traffic flow problems, which any intelligent motorist knows is ridiculous. Even a blind person watching at QB, for example, can see more than half the motorists can't figure out who has priority. I'd rather use my brain when I'm driving at least as much as I mindlessly follow what these dimwits have created - that way, I can allow for the less than perfect situations I encounter every time I'm driving the car :)

If they want to get rid of the tree why don't they just have a convenient fire. I thought that was the traditional development way?

Good idea, perhaps if they sold the patch of land it is stood on to Dandara then they would get planning permission to remove it, they seem to get planning permission for everything else with no problem.

If they want to get rid of the tree why don't they just have a convenient fire. I thought that was the traditional development way?

Good idea, perhaps if they sold the patch of land it is stood on to Dandara then they would get planning permission to remove it, they seem to get planning permission for everything else with no problem.

don't Dandara own that plot on Circular Road where there is a big tree and plans for a block of apartments so that tree will be cominhg down soon.

• 6 months later...
From MR: Plan B. Now there's gonna be 2 roundabouts at Braddan.

Work is due to commence on Monday, September the third, with a final completion date of May the second next year.

What are they building? An eight lane Autobahn? :blink:

actually read all this thread. Best bet is lights, they can be swithed of for races and it would save long thousands on a scheme which is otherwise destined by become a major embaressment.

Do the Dot think they have to promote schemes like this just to justify their existance.

Obviously I am no expert in traffic management, but I really don't see how this will improve things.

Every morning at peak time the traffic queues for QB are back past the location of the new roundabouts. Since the traffic won't be claering QB any quicker than it is new, will the traffic not just back up through this new junction and cause chaos like it does outside the Police station on Lord Street each evening?

Why not take some land from the rugy pitch and make 2 lanes on the approach to QB from the west as part of or before this new scheme?

Archived