Braddan Bridge

Lonan3

I'm sure others can judge - but no-one is prepared to argue my thesis that the need to keep a 1930's road structure costs 3 or so lives per year (not inc those of the competitors) - no doubt the entertainment value is worth every one but I'l leave telling the families that to others.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That applies to all the roads on the Island, Frances. In fact, the TT course roads are far better maintained than any other stretches, and on that one point I would agree with you. However, and I will temper my comments as this could become mixed up with another thread, serious and fatal accidents happen on roads, full stop. Not all are to do with TT or MGP, but very many are to do with poor driving standards and a lack of enforcement of measures put in place to improve safety. Or daft safety measures put in place that actually provide fertile ground for serious accidents.

One example, I cut through the newly built part of Spring Valley/Pulrose to join the Castletown Road just before the Anagh Coar traffic lights. In that cut-through, the roads with lovely cobbled type surface have absolutely no road markings, so it is not clear who should give way to whom. Even at the top where it joins the road round the bottom of the golf/football pitch there are no markings, just a giveway sign. Yes, I know that should be my cue, but it just is not clear. Then, when you move on up to join the Castletown Road there is a 10 yard stretch that is one way onto the main road, with stop markings across the road for about 80%, with a small portion left for something very slender to move down against the one-way flow. What is that about? It is intentional, but the purpose of the intention just is not clear.

Then there is the Groves Road traffic light shambles; who in God's name thought it would be sensible to move the mainstream of traffic into a position where it is chicane-ing between two flows of traffic? Not to mention the instant 'green-amber-red', 'red-amber-green' on the flow to the QB, or to miss the right filter through several sequences for northbound traffic when there is sod-all traffic about!

Ooh the rant could go on about roundabouts, but there just doesn't seem to be the understanding by driver or planner, that these measures should influence how we drive; the planners put them in, seemingly, on the basis that 'they will figure it out' and the drivers seem to think that the way they use the roads is discretionary.

I would like to see more policemen with white gloves pointing at drivers and saying 'yes, you can go', or 'no, you can't', in the hopes that the drivers will understand how these things work and the police can report back that they are a futile waste of time and money.

but very many are to do with poor driving standards and a lack of enforcement of measures put in place to improve safety

that's my point - however you appear to believe in the perfectability of Manx drivers - I don't - and judging from other administrations elsewhere they too don't believe in greatly improving driving standards and have turned to physical measures (road surface modulation etc etc) - my argument is that none of these is possible on what is otherwise a racetrack - look at the fatal accident map and two groups stand out - those in suburban environments where it is likely the victims were pedestrians/cyclists/children and those in open country often at junctions where the predominant cause must be speed (ie poor driving) - block the speed (and not by easily disregardable notices) and many of these should be eliminated.

Archived