Smoking Ban In 2008?!

Beckett

As a smoker, who would prefer that the law wasn't changed, I agree with you. The decision has been made, stop pretending to consult and get on and do it. That way it can be brought in this spring/summer, and those of us affected can be eased into the new world of out door smoking in nice weather rather than in a March hooley.

Sooner the better is right.

As an ex-smoker it's the only temptation I have left. Few beers.....Ciggy craving....I manage to resist, but I'd rather not have the crave. At home (Ireland), you go out, no smoke, no craving.

One side effect is if all your mates smoke, you end up outside in the smoking areas with them by the end of the night - it's like it's own little club.

People leave their beer mats on top of their glasses to indicate they've gone out for a fag.

My mates say you end up talking to all sorts of bizarre smoking folk you wouldn't normally talk to.

• 1 month later...

It would be a terrible break with tradition to go for very long without adding to the smoking-ban debate.

Therefore, purely in the interests of maintaining long established forums customs and practices, I offer THIS BBC NEWS LINK for your consideration, about the 'success' of the ban in Scotland.

A third of Scottish pubs have reported laying off staff due to the smoking ban, a survey of landlords claims.

With the first anniversary of the ban approaching, the survey suggested that drink sales remained 11% below pre-ban levels and food sales were down 3%.

Many licensees reported a drop in how often people go to the pub, with 56% noting fewer visits by regulars.

About one-third of pub bosses also complained of fewer visits from new customers.

"Seconds out.... round 1,432!"

I think it will take a year or two for the pub business to level out. There is a whole section of the community who don't go out to pubs because of the disgusting smoking atmosphere caused by smokers. These people aren't going to suddenly go on the piss the day the the ban comes in.

John Shimmin, minister for Home Affairs is a smoker. He will deny it, but I am sure his addiction is a reason why the Island hasn't brought the ban in before or even in-line with any of the UK. Smokers' priorities lie with the weed.

I think it will take a year or two for the pub business to level out. There is a whole section of the community who don't go out to pubs because of the disgusting smoking atmosphere caused by smokers. These people aren't going to suddenly go on the piss the day the the ban comes in.

John Shimmin, minister for Home Affairs is a smoker. He will deny it, but I am sure his addiction is a reason why the Island hasn't brought the ban in before or even in-line with any of the UK. Smokers' priorities lie with the weed.

Isn't Martin Quayle the minister of home affairs?

1. John Shimmin - in charge of the Department of Local Government and the Environment is an occasional rather than a heavy smoker.

2. Martyn Quayle - a non-smoker - is the Home Affairs Minister.

3. As a previous poster said, the decision has been made (or, to put it another way, we have again blindly followed the example of other jurisdictions without considering some of the realistic alternatives such as those introduced in Spain, for example).

It would be a terrible break with tradition to go for very long without adding to the smoking-ban debate.

Therefore, purely in the interests of maintaining long established forums customs and practices, I offer THIS BBC NEWS LINK for your consideration, about the 'success' of the ban in Scotland.

A third of Scottish pubs have reported laying off staff due to the smoking ban, a survey of landlords claims.

With the first anniversary of the ban approaching, the survey suggested that drink sales remained 11% below pre-ban levels and food sales were down 3%.

Many licensees reported a drop in how often people go to the pub, with 56% noting fewer visits by regulars.

About one-third of pub bosses also complained of fewer visits from new customers.

"Seconds out.... round 1,432!"

My first thought is "so what?". Who cares if some pubs are doing a bit worse off? There's far too many of them and they've had it easy street for so long. Anyway people are complaining about over consumption of alcohol, the drink culture and drink related violence in other news articles so any drop in sales is surely a good thing.

Archived