What's Happened To The Seacat

Last Ten

If it's not sinking then surely they will be thinking about getting any animals off it now.

i really do hope that there not any animals in those cars! and if there were i hope they are all ok.

they would of been in there since 9 o clock this morning and some cars have defo been written off

• Replies 418
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Energy FM:
Earlier on today the mother of a man onboard the Seacat which collided with another vessel in the Mersey at around 11.20am criticised the ferry company.

Moira Osbourne says she couldn't get the information she needed from the Steam Packet.

When she heard of the incident, she was terrified.

Her husband received a call from her son, who was onboard the Sea Express 1.

He couldn't carry on speaking to his dad because of the emergency procedures being carried out at the time.

Mrs Osbourne is furious with the way the company handled the situation.

She rang the Steam Packet Company and they confirmed there had been an incident but couldn't tell her anything more.

She says she it was thanks to Energy FM she was updated.

There was a report on Manx Radio (seems to have gone now) about a woman complaining that when she tried to find out what was happening from the Steam Packet as her son was on it (probably the same woman as above) she said that the phone lines were all enagaged!! Would you believe it!! If the boat had sunk etc, what the hell could she have done from over here???

well a Steampacket spokesperson could have at least assured her they were safe, but to go to ground and not release any info is really cruel, the womans worries could have been calmed straight away, the secrecy obviously made her fear the worst.

This was an EMERGENCY of the first degree and one that certainly I cannot recall the SP staff ever having to deal with.

They do train for scenarios like this but when this type of event does happen many of the staff and passengers I am sure would be pumping pure adrenalin.

Let's just say that that all these people on board (staff and passengers) are very lucky to be able to tell the tale!

Anyone that complains that they were not treated too good should count their lucky stars that they are still on this planet!

Last Ten

Well said Last ten......... my thoughts exactly.

I remember back around 1976/77 being stuck on the Mersey all night on the Mona's Queen, due to thick fog the IOMSPC decided not to risk docking.... I spent 23 hours on that one voyage.

I am situated less then an hour away from Liverpool and we still have (and have had - all day) thick fog here.

I spoke to Juan Turner earlier today, the facts are Energy FM's newsroom received infomation regarding the collision from a member of the public onboard the ship. Juan then contacted the Coastguard for an official response, which was "what collision?" The coastguard release says that they were informed at 11.54am that Seacat was involved in a collision.

I was amazed that the ships Captain did not broadcast a PAN PAN as soon as the collision occurred, I’ve no doubt the timescale will be made clear very soon but I have no reason to disbelieve Juan when he says that the Coastguard did not know when he phoned despite what Hamish Ross is now saying

"The Coastguard" isn't a unitary entity. I wouldn't be surprised whatsoever if someone at the end of a telephone, or manning the PR department wasn't fully aware, or was keeping quiet until he had a fuller picture, of the incident.

This fact doesn't stop the coastguard being fully involved at the scene and acting promptly to an ongoing emergency.

"The Coastguard" isn't a unitary entity. I wouldn't be surprised whatsoever if someone at the end of a telephone, or manning the PR department wasn't fully aware, or was keeping quiet until he had a fuller picture, of the incident.

This fact doesn't stop the coastguard being fully involved at the scene and acting promptly to an ongoing emergency.

i think you have hit the nail on the head........

i might as well have got my mate in chelmsford to phone up........like the coastguard would give a shit and hand out information to him. he probably thought........juan turner.......energy fm....who the fuck are you......

What about the dogs who always have to travel inside vehicles? They´re not allowed on board on the Seacat. With the vehicles still on the car deck - have the dogs been rescued?

I hope they got out. However, dogs etc. come last in situations like this, and any idiot who starts diving in the car deck of a sinking ferry, where vehicles can often be moving from side to side etc. just to rescue a family pet deserves all he gets IMO. Too many stupid people drown or die in fires trying to rescue pets.

as i said on the smoking thread..........you are a murderer.

now you advocate murdering animals........

wanker.

You really are a ****wit troll - if you would be happy to risk human lives to save a couple of dogs when the shit hits the fan.

There again, if I knew what you looked like I'd probably rescue the dog first, as the dog would probably have a higher IQ and a better chance of getting a good job than you.

Get life in perspective you idiot.

Tickets to the match for you, your son - c£60.00

Return IoMSPCo trip to Liverpool, for 2 and a car - c£98.00

2 bacon baps and 2 cups of rancid tea onboard - c£10.00

Getting rammed up the ass by a cargo ship - £1,000,000.00 + a skippers ticket.

A 0 /0 score in the derby - Priceless!

I have to take issue with the comments about the crew and officers.

I have been aboard the seacat in a professional capacity when they ran safety procedure exercises in the last 6 months and the scenario was a fire in the engine room, 2 crew down and they were to abandon ship with all passengers in liferafts - I can tell you from first hand experience that the crew and officers are highly trained, professional people who - guess what - know exactly what they're doing in a crisis and if ever I was on one of the vessels and an accident happened I would be 110% happy to know that they would be doing the job properly.

We are overdue a proper replacement for the Lady of Mann, take a look at this winters disruption record to Liverpool http://www.irishseashipping.com/news/iomsp...odisruption.htm and thats just a weekend service. Can you imagine what that would like if it was a daily service. I don't bother even booking the seacat in winter. The service we get from this company is a joke.

We are overdue a proper replacement for the Lady of Mann, take a look at this winters disruption record to Liverpool http://www.irishseashipping.com/news/iomsp...odisruption.htm and thats just a weekend service. Can you imagine what that would like if it was a daily service. I don't bother even booking the seacat in winter. The service we get from this company is a joke.

'ere 'ere.

i think considering the seriousness of this accident and the fact that everone off in one piece is a credit to the crew on board the ship, people should not be so quick to judge.

they may have saved peoples lives.

if they (captin/engineroom crew) did not act as quick as they did we would be mounrning 280 odd people

Archived