What's Happened To The Seacat

Last Ten

Well, its 06.08 and I've just been told the sea express is still afloat, with the pumps going full chat. Its rather sad seeing the photos of her, looking wounded. It really could have been loads worse so should perhaps be grateful.

• Replies 418
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dogs; my relatives often take their dog to England and always use the heysham service as I believe they dont usually allow people or animals to remain on the car deck of a seacat. I was not there, but I guess each boat thought it would miss the other in the fog, based on radar, but didnt allow for a tug to be several yards to one side of the rainbow. The exact site of the collision has not been made clear, estuary or Birkenhead. Since the bridge suffered damage, and it is quite high, it must have hit the rainbow and not a tug, or both?

Energy FM:
Earlier on today the mother of a man onboard the Seacat which collided with another vessel in the Mersey at around 11.20am criticised the ferry company.

Moira Osbourne says she couldn't get the information she needed from the Steam Packet.

When she heard of the incident, she was terrified.

Her husband received a call from her son, who was onboard the Sea Express 1.

He couldn't carry on speaking to his dad because of the emergency procedures being carried out at the time.

Mrs Osbourne is furious with the way the company handled the situation.

She rang the Steam Packet Company and they confirmed there had been an incident but couldn't tell her anything more.

She says she it was thanks to Energy FM she was updated.

There was a report on Manx Radio (seems to have gone now) about a woman complaining that when she tried to find out what was happening from the Steam Packet as her son was on it (probably the same woman as above) she said that the phone lines were all enagaged!! Would you believe it!! If the boat had sunk etc, what the hell could she have done from over here???

well a Steampacket spokesperson could have at least assured her they were safe, but to go to ground and not release any info is really cruel, the womans worries could have been calmed straight away, the secrecy obviously made her fear the worst.

I think the key thing here is the timing. If the accident had only just happened it was likely that the staff at the steampacket would have very little information and this is likely to have been sketchy. The crew on the SE would have been dealing with the situation and liasing with the coastguard, tugs etc and making sure they were in a position to get the people off safely.

The staff on land at the steam packet would have very clear procedures on how to deal with enquiries from family/friends and media - the main issue being to ensure any information that is given out is 100% accurate. I do feel for this women however i'm sure she'd rather be given correct information after a short wait rather than wrong information sooner.

The steam packet spokeperson would have wanted to get their information from the source and have it double checked and cleared for release, and not from energyfm!

My source for this is the Herald of Free Enterprise disaster, where the company (Townsend Thoresen later P&O) told relatives and friends that everyone was off the boat safe and well and had been rescued, and then started changing this throughout the night, saying that specific people were alive who were actually dead etc. It's so important to get the right information out, and I'm sure these people would be the first to criticise if the information they got so quickly turned out to be wrong.

For a resaonably full report, but still unofficial, see this link and these very full pictures.

Any cars will now be on top of each other against the rear door, making the list worse and the ones at the back under water. Sad if pets on board. I travel on sea cat in summer with dogs in travel pens in large 4x4

http://tinyurl.com/25y29t

For a resaonably full report, but still unofficial, see this link and these very full pictures.

Any cars will now be on top of each other against the rear door, making the list worse and the ones at the back under water. Sad if pets on board. I travel on sea cat in summer with dogs in travel pens in large 4x4

That link doesnt work.

Its about 25 degrees or 1 in 4. Brakes would normally hold if there were no motion and if it was a roadway with a normal coeffiocient of friction.

First the thing keeps on moving, second it is a metal deck with a lower coefficient of friction and third there is a slope up to the normal front exit where they park cars which are to go off first. If that is a 5 degree slope it is 30 degrees for those cars. Finally it only takes one to move because it does not have optimum brakes or because they were not fully applied for it to start a domino effect.

Any cars will now be on top of each other against the rear door, making the list worse and the ones at the back under water.

what are you talking about? the list in NOWHERE NEAR enough for the cars to have even moved. stop making stuff up.

This person making things up - I certainly know what you mean, but mebe not this time :(

Its about 25 degrees or 1 in 4. Brakes would normally hold if there were no motion and if it was a roadway with a normal coeffiocient of friction.

First the thing keeps on moving, second it is a metal deck with a lower coefficient of friction and third there is a slope up to the normal front exit where they park cars which are to go off first. If that is a 5 degree slope it is 30 degrees for those cars. Finally it only takes one to move because it does not have optimum brakes or because they were not fully applied for it to start a domino effect.

i've parked on hills with a greater gradient than in that picture, I also think that if cars were piling up against the doors then surely it would be sinking much quicker if not already sunk.

with regard to motion, there is virtually no motion at all, the vessel is pretty static.

also don't they put chocks infront of the wheels of the cars near the doors? i'm sure i've seen them do that.

I thought that they put chains around the wheels of the cars to keep them in place and these are then locked into the car deck. That was only my thought because I had noticed the slots in the car deck and thought that's why they kept trying to get you to drive so cloese to the side of the ship and right up against the next car. I feel like a contortionist trying to get out of the car once it's been parked. (I worry about things like that, Idon't want the paint on my little Rover Metro to be scratched!)

Stav.

Archived