What's Happened To The Seacat

Last Ten

I was on it (in the bar) on the opposite side to the collision.

It was the tanker that hit and the 'cat listed pretty quickly. Fortunately both vessels were doing little more than walking pace and it was a glancing blow.

We got moved into the main cabin. A couple of the shop staff / "crew" were being a bit headless and panicky and naturally some passengers got a bit hystericaland/or started growling at the staff which didn't really help matters. Some other passengers were also determined to give a running commentary and/or be first on the news and that didn't help either.

Other staff were really good in particular the big ginger lad from behind the bar and there was a bit of order restored once the engine room team (proper crew) came up and started getting people to sit down, shut up and do lifejackets properly. Probably the most concerning thing - which could easily have led to loss of life if it had gone down - was the fact that lifejackets were not being put on properly (i.e with arms going above the link cord between the front and back float) which could have seen a lot of people stuggling to stay in their lifejackets in the water.

The megaphones used by the staff in the cabin had to be shouted through (can everybody please sit down was about as much as they said) by the staff whereas the Captain's announcements over the tannoy were more measured and gave information, no doubt cos he was in contact ship to shore, knew our location on the GPS and knew tugs and lifeboats were on their way.

Getting the tugs out took about 15minutes; the tow in job took about 20minutes. We dismebarked through the bar at about 12:15 next to where we'd been sat (the high side at the rear) which gave me a chance to finish the rest of my drink. I only spilt a bit when the collision took place, so it can't be said that it was a massive impact.

• Replies 418
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I have to take issue with the comments about the crew and officers.

I have been aboard the seacat in a professional capacity when they ran safety procedure exercises in the last 6 months and the scenario was a fire in the engine room, 2 crew down and they were to abandon ship with all passengers in liferafts - I can tell you from first hand experience that the crew and officers are highly trained, professional people who - guess what - know exactly what they're doing in a crisis and if ever I was on one of the vessels and an accident happened I would be 110% happy to know that they would be doing the job properly.

Practice drills are one thing .....reality is another .....

Anyone can react superbly when they know they're going to survive .....it's when you don't that instinct kicks in

Removing my flippant hat, it certainly could have been a lot worse.

I was sat down at a table with the pint in my hand which meant neither I nor it went very far. People who weren't sitting and food and drinks which weren't being held did go flying. There were about six or seven people in the bar sat on their backsides after the impact. I'd imagine for those that weren't sitting in the main passenger area it would have been similar.

I did see the woman with the sprained wrist on my way back last night and she was complaining about the onshore treatment she did/did not receive, although that may be a criticism of the NHS than the IoMSPCo.

I did see the woman with the sprained wrist on my way back last night and she was complaining about the onshore treatment she did/did not receive, although that may be a criticism of the NHS than the IoMSPCo.

What a whinger. What did she expect an ambulance? It costs around £500 for an ambulance trip to hospital. If they'd called ambulances as a precaution fair enough, but I'm sure one of the SP staff would have eventually run her to hospital if it was necessary, though they had many other priorities and other people to check in the circumstances I would imagine.

A search of the ship was the priority here, as there could have been someone knocked out in the loo, or a crew member carrying out maintenance on the car deck etc. etc. etc.

Strained wrist? She'd also have a sore arse if I was there - because I would have firmly kicked it.

Just heard John Houghton on the 'listen again' version of mandate. I think he'll be sitting knitting outside the steam packet office the way he was talking. It's too early to get accurate official information at the moment as to the cause. There's little point in going 'flap flap, busy busy, berk berk, bang bang' in Tynwald at this stage.

Just heard John Houghton on the 'listen again' version of mandate. I think he'll be sitting knitting outside the steam packet office the way he was talking. It's too early to get accurate official information at the moment as to the cause. There's little point in going 'flap flap, busy busy, berk berk, bang bang' in Tynwald at this stage.

I agree Albert. I heard him on MR at 8 o'clock this morning talking utter drivel, demanding immediate answers. What rot. Nobody is going to make any sort of official statement until all the facts are known. Houghton has never gotten over the powers that be, taking his special constabulary uniform away. He's been sulking ever since.

Agreed - what a fool, as if anyone in Tynwald could help.

Archived