What's Happened To The Seacat

Last Ten

• Replies 418
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If they are repairing then they will only want to charter, not pay out for a new one unless insurers write it off

I know that SE1 carries the 3 legs emblem, but do the IOMSP own her? I know she was owned by Irish Sea ferries (or similar name) then was laid up in Liverpool, then the SP got her back... do they own her or is she just on charter?

If they are repairing then they will only want to charter, not pay out for a new one unless insurers write it off

I know that SE1 carries the 3 legs emblem, but do the IOMSP own her? I know she was owned by Irish Sea ferries (or similar name) then was laid up in Liverpool, then the SP got her back... do they own her or is she just on charter?

Yes the SPco do own the SE1(formerly Seacat IOM). In 2005 she was chartered to Irish sea ferries, but they went bust due to rocketing fuel prices, and SE1 was again laid up, surplus to requirements. The SuperSeacat2 is on charter to the Steam Racket for a few more years yet, but as she has a larger carrying capacity than SE1, the Racket prefer to use her. (If the sea is calm !)

SE1's sister ship, Seacat France, has recently been sold for only £1million, which is chicken feed in the shipping market. What SE1 is worth in her present state is anyones guess.

SE1 is worth in her present state is anyones guess.

I'm guessing they're waiting for it to be written off, and are that mean that they don't see the point of chartering in the meantime as they are going to get the money to buy a replacement.

SE1 is worth in her present state is anyones guess.

I'm guessing they're waiting for it to be written off, and are that mean that they don't see the point of chartering in the meantime as they are going to get the money to buy a replacement.

And a loss of revenue claim will no doubt be filed too, judging by their tardiness to charter a replacement.

MAIB investigator 1: Well what should we put on the preliminary report?

MAIB investigator 2: What about the damage was caused when the two vessels collided?

MAIB investigator 1: Na, that damage might have incurred when the Seatcat went over that farcical speed bump on Douglas prom.

MAIB investigator 2. What about we put that we don't know what happened, but would happily find out if the IOM government would fund a multi million pound investigation at the end of which no one will be to blame.

MAIB investigator 1: Sounds good, now lets blow up the Seacat like we did with the Ellen Vannin and go to lunch.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
does anyone know when the collision enquiry will take place?

According to the MAIB, it already has - the collision is marked as being at the 'Consultation' stage, which is defined as "when a full investigation is largely complete a draft copy of the report is sent to interested parties for comment".

Archived