What's Happened To The Seacat

Last Ten

• Replies 418
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The report - according to my views of the MAIB website - has been supposedly available for some time now, unless when they announce the report, they don't include the time required to write it up during this stage. Something strange is seemingly going on - perhaps they sent it to the Isle of Wight by mistake.

• 2 weeks later...

I've just been speaking to an engineer who's working on the seacat this week, next week he's working on the sea express, it is being repaired and will be put back in service. I asked him when did they expect it to be back in service, he laughed and said they were hoping to have it sorted by the next TT, he reckoned that was extremely optimistic!

• 2 weeks later...

thats right, it was not the captains fault. probably sun spots or global warming. the steam racket want a copy of the report before they pick holes in it and claim it's all wrong. perhaps there should have been a sign saying boat coming or double white bouys in the water. it's just going to be another blameless one of those things that won't happen again hopefully.

seems like a catalogue of errors by all parties (including the fog)

the erratic movement of the Rainbow seems to me to be the worst part, and being 'on the wrong side of the road' so to speak and lurching about aimlessly and expecting everyone else to dodge the moving target.

hindsight's a wonderful thing !

...what does it basically say?

Fly? ;)

Basically it says:

Steam Packet:

"Review its Safety Management System with particular respect to:

• using ground stabilised radar display in the confined waters of a river transit;" i.e. Watch where you're going - use your radar effectively when it's foggy

"• improving external communications in the event of an emergency in terms of urgency and detail." i.e. If there's an emergency it's best to get your thumb out of your arse and get on the blower quickly

"Ensure that the passenger safety instruction card illustrates the lifejacket to be found under the seat for which the card is provided." i.e. Don't provide instructions for the wrong life jacket - it tends to annoy people when the sh1t hits the fan and they're thinking the ship's sinking.

"J.G.Goumas (Shipping) Co. S.A. is recommended to:

Ensure its masters are given clear guidelines which detail the importance of effective dialogue with pilots and identify the need for the ship’s bridge team to:

• be proactive in providing support to pilots;

• challenge decisions or actions taken by pilots at an early stage so that, when required, effective corrective action can be taken to prevent accidents.

Mersey Docks and Harbour Company is recommended to:

2007/188 Complete its review of compliance with the requirements of the PMSC with particular reference to:

• VTS operations, ensuring that an effective fog routine is established and that the VTS station is sufficiently manned to absorb the additional workload that operation in restricted visibility demands, and that VTSOs are proactive in ascertaining further information in the event of incident;

• Pilotage best practice, highlighting the need for pilots to proactively communicate with approaching vessels and VTS at an early stage to avoid unnecessary development of a close quarters situation; to be proactive in requiring support from the ship’s bridge team; and to sound appropriate fog signals in restricted visibility.

2007/189 Following satisfactory completion of its review into PMSC compliance, invite the MCA to conduct a PMSC verification visit to the Port of Liverpool.

2007/190 Review the Mersey Channel Collision Rules with respect to sound signals required by vessels manoeuvring in close proximity during periods of restricted visibility."

...overall it really says, when you are on a ship - listen to the safety announcements - because ships are driven and controlled by humans, who just like you or I, cock things up occasionally.

I sincerely hope I'm wrong but sooner or later, something is going to go seriously wrong and there will be a lot of bodies floating about as a result. Still f*ck all will get done till it happens...................

Barn - Horse - Door

Archived