What's Happened To The Seacat

Last Ten

so is it going to sink or have they stopped it from taking in water? the news does not mention that it may sink so i presume it is not going to. To someone like me who does not have marine knowledge that pictures makes me think its not looking like it will stay afloat.

Can't see it sinking now that its alongside. Almost certainly they will have pumps on board keeping the water level down and will find some way of patching the leak and level the vessel, unfortunately it will take some time.

• Replies 418
  • Created
  • Last Reply
so is it going to sink or have they stopped it from taking in water? the news does not mention that it may sink so i presume it is not going to. To someone like me who does not have marine knowledge that pictures makes me think its not looking like it will stay afloat.

Can't see it sinking now that its alongside. Almost certainly they will have pumps on board keeping the water level down and will find some way of patching the leak and level the vessel, unfortunately it will take some time.

I beleive it depnds whether they can get larger pumps into the affected area. It may be possible to lash inflatables around her to stabalise the situation until repairs can be carried out. Please note, I am writing this on behalf of my husband as I am clueless!

Transport of passengers and their belongings whilst at sea is governed by the "Athens Convention" in the same way that air travels is governed by the "Warsaw Convention" information can be found here:

http://www.imo.org/Conventions/mainframe.a...&doc_id=663

I am not a lawyer and there may be variations in individual companies conditions. On reading the T&C's some of you may cry "unfair" but you can be assured that these conditions will have been well tried and tested in courts of law. When purchasing a ticket you automatically agree to the T&C's and are bound by contract.

My advice would be that anyone who has suffered damage to a vehicle should advise their own insurer, if the vehicle is covered comprehensively then their Insurer should subjugate the claim to the Carrier, likewise household goods or personal effects may be covered by the householders policy whilst they are in transit and anyone with travel insurance will be covered for loss of personal effects ( there will be limitations ) The key word as with most liability disputes - Negligence" - if there is found to be neglect on behalf of any of the personnel or companies involved then almost certainly Insurers will have no choice but to settle claims.

I stand corrected. It does seem pretty unfair that a carrier can limit liability in that way though.

Boats not use sonar anymore?

Sonar is typically used to measure the depth of the water, and to see what's directly beneath the vessel ('fish finders' etc) - radar is employed to see what is around the vessel - this is normally interfaced with a ship plotter type system & gps which would display charts/maps with the radar image superimposed over the top.

Kind of like a car satellite navigation system, but with the vehicles around you also displayed.

It's hard to imagine such a collision if the staff onboard are doing their job properly - unless there's a catastrophic equipment failure.

does this mean the steam racket only has the ben sailing at the moment

Looks that way matey..... wonder if they will borrow something from another company, shud imagine the SE1 will be out of action for quite sometime as they won't be able to start repairs until all the investigations etc have taken place.

"Sources" have told me that the a local consortium is ready to take over the Liverpool-IOM route

Apparently made up of the Laxey Towing Company and Yankie Shimmin's Rowboat & Deckchair PLC, they intend to get round the linkspan user agreement by disembarking passengers onto Laxey beach using the traditional plank and cartwheel system.

Such a system was used for years on the Douglas foreshore with few injuries and no fatalities.

Captain Carter was unavailable for comment as he is busy converting his new Landrover to steam power.

Looks that way matey..... wonder if they will borrow something from another company, shud imagine the SE1 will be out of action for quite sometime as they won't be able to start repairs until all the investigations etc have taken place.

If they've got any sense they will scrap the awful thing and use the insurance money to buy a proper boat that can sail in the sort of normal Irish Sea rough weather that any sensible company would allow for rather than having to cancel crossings all the time.

If they've got any sense they will scrap the awful thing and use the insurance money to buy a proper boat that can sail in the sort of normal Irish Sea rough weather that any sensible company would allow for rather than having to cancel crossings all the time.

I thought that they leased the Seacats rather than actually owning them. I thought that the Ben was the only vessel they actually owned.

If you crash your leased car then the leasing company normally sorts you out with another one.

The company's just gone down hill since the last purchase - they seem to think the route can run itself. Most of the senior staff who knew what they were doing and understood how to operate sailings on a unique route like this have gone.

Archived