Recognise The Iom?

Moghrey Mie

Do you recognise the island from this advert in the Guardian January 31st to lure a new Director of Social Services over here?

' the island's inhabitants enjoy a standard of living and quality of life that is envied the world over.'

"The island itself is both peaceful and picturesque but with a vibrant economy.There is an excellent range of shops, restaurants and leisure facilities.'

"The island itself is both peaceful and picturesque but with a vibrant economy. There is an excellent range of shops, restaurants and leisure facilities

It depends whether 'range' means variety or variation in standards.

Otherwise, it's not a bad description.

Do you recognise the island from this advert in the Guardian January 31st to lure a new Director of Social Services over here?

' the island's inhabitants enjoy a standard of living and quality of life that is envied the world over.'

"The island itself is both peaceful and picturesque but with a vibrant economy.There is an excellent range of shops, restaurants and leisure facilities.'

Does the ad mention some of the 'challenging' social problems here by any chance - probably not.

It appears to me that a lot of key positions in teaching, social work, civil service etc are filled by plonkers who can't hack it in the UK and come here with expectations of an easy ride until retirement.

Does the ad mention some of the 'challenging' social problems here by any chance - probably not.

It appears to me that a lot of key positions in teaching, social work, civil service etc are filled by plonkers who can't hack it in the UK and come here with expectations of an easy ride until retirement.

Dick.

I don't see what is wrong with a word of it. We have a good standard of living, it is peaceful and picturesque compared to the UK and the economy is vibrant. Ignoring the lack of leisure facilities what do you expect them to say? "Come to the Isle of Man its shite and there is nothing to do"? I can just hear all the envelopes dropping at that one.

If your director of social service material, where would you rather go. Here or some crap-hole like Hull?

I don't see what is wrong with a word of it. We have a good standard of living, it is peaceful and picturesque compared to the UK and the economy is vibrant. Ignoring the lack of leisure facilities what do you expect them to say? "Come to the Isle of Man its shite and there is nothing to do"? I can just hear all the envelopes dropping at that one.

If your director of social service material, where would you rather go. Here or some crap-hole like Hull?

What does 'compared to the UK' mean. Are you comparing the Isle of Man to Northern Ireland, or Wales or Scotland or just crap-England, and if it's just crap-England, is it somewhere peaceful and picturesque like Cornwall, or the Cheviots or the Trough of Bowland? What is director of social service material, anyway? Any human being with an IQ of more than 130?

What he said

Archived