Iran: A War Is Coming

Crozza

I've got the impression that the division of opinion in this thread has very little to do with the issues. It mostly seems to be about whether people are pro or anti-Trump.

Suppose Obama were still President. He launched hundreds of drone attacks. I suspect that the division of opinion here would be different. With those favourable to Obama more inclined to back action - and populists less inclined to be in favour of foreign involvement.

Let's be honest: None of us knows the rights and wrongs of this. And it's stupid being either vehemently for or against it. This seems a very un-Trump thing to do. It's much more in line with neo-Conservative strong foreign policy.

Edited by pongo

The West automatically gets the blame for most middle East countries being shitholes,however, Dubai is built by non Arab peoples? But on a practical level,readymix concrete and praying 6 times a day dont go together,while facing Mecca, a ticking timbomb happens,still,at least you can go inside the readymix lorry for 2 weeks with a Kango hammer.Nomads make crap farmers too,as happened in the Nile delta once "The religion of peace" took over.

• Like 1

I like his stance too, it's good that the US finally has a president with a spine. But the fact does remain that the US Constitution is very clear that only Congress can authorise war. This is nothing new though. US presidents have been cr-pping on the Constitution in this respect since 1942 and ruling as emperors via "executive order". Calling it "use of military force" does not change the fact that it is war.

35 minutes ago, Rog said:

There has been no  declaration of war.

If a foreign Government attacked and killed a senior representative of any of the British armed services or a politician would it matter that there had been no declaration of war?  I think most of us would regard such an attack as being an act of War?

The assassination of Archduke Franz Ferdinand led to a war that engulfed Europe.  The situation with Iran and the US has the potential to trigger further conflict in the Middle East and potentially globally if Iran was to involve it's allies.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, manxman1980 said:

If a foreign Government attacked and killed a senior representative of any of the British armed services or a politician would it matter that there had been no declaration of war?  I think most of us would regard such an attack as being an act of War?

The assassination of Archduke Franz Ferdinand led to a war that engulfed Europe.  The situation with Iran and the US has the potential to trigger further conflict in the Middle East and potentially globally if Iran was to involve it's allies.  

Unless creeping Islam is confronted it will continue its declared intent to take control of the world. 

• Sad 1