[BBC News] Labrador tied up and left to die

Newsbot

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

:(

Dog found dumped in canal

By Telegraph newsdesk

The RSPCA is appealing for information after a dead dog, tightly bound in tape and plastic, was found dumped in the Leeds and Liverpool Canal behind Dalby Cresecent in Blackburn.

The dog, an adult female black lurcher crossbreed, was recovered by RSPCA inspector Nina Port on Friday March 23.

Police officers from Blackburn Constabulary contacted the RSPCA after finding the dog and pulling her out of the canal.

advertisement

The dog had no obvious outward signs of injury but her body had been tightly bound in plastic film and silver duct tape.

RSPCA inspector Port is at a loss to explain what happened.

She said: "This is a strange and unusual incident.

"The dog was not microchipped nor wearing a collar and tag, but she seemed in a good, healthy condition which suggests she may have once belonged to someone.

"It's difficult to tell whether the dog was dead or alive when she was thrown in the water.

"Because of the way she was bound, it's clear this wasn't an accident.

"We are now trying to determine how this dog met such an unfortunate end.

"If anyone has any information about who may once have owned her, I urge them to contact the RSPCA immediately."

Anyone with information should contact the RSPCA cruelty and advice line on 0870 55 55 999.

Calls are in confidence.

http://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/news/...ed_in_canal.php

Is there a trend here? :angry:

I cannot believe that people have organised a ******* memorial service for a dog. There'll be two minutes silence at football matches next!

This demeans the meaning of a 'memorial service'.

A memorial service held at the MSPCA headquarters Ard-Jekyl on Saturday, saw the unveiling of a commerative headstone (pictured) donated by Pooil Vaish Quarry. The event was well attended by dog lovers and their pets.

I still can't believe they have not found who did this either, even though the reward now stands at £10K.

I agree that the reaction does seem a little over the top - the pet equivalent to the reaction to the death of Diana Spencer. I went to see that Helen Mirren film about it all a few weeks ago (Diana - not the dog) and it reminded me of the mass hysteria that ensued.

It's absolutely proper for the MSPCA to decry all examples of animal cruelty, but it seems a bit strange for them to single this dog out for special attention.

but now you have our attention we're interested in why you don't you postulate some reasons why someone in the know hasn't grassed up the culprits for £10 grand!

Because they're dumb.

Like you.

Must you introduce domestic violence into every topic you see fit to befoul with your presence?

gosh ...hhhhhhhhhmmm guess my other comment tonight in a different thread concerning sexual violence will be upsetting you now as well then perhaps ans??

• 1 month later...
So what's the point with this Energy FM appeal?? And who gets the collected money since no one has been caught?

Now into May.. and no progress.

Cash prize is past £10,000 (though energy list "£4000+" on their page). I wonder again, who gets the money? Maybe they're hoping that in a year's time, people will forget about it and the cash can be banked! More seriously though, I can't believe that #1 they set up a donation appeal in the first place #2 that they had no real plan as to what to do with the money in such a situation as now - when no one can claim it.

Did this police investigation ever really begin? or just casually end after a month? Anyone got some news on this story?

I wonder again, who gets the money? Maybe they're hoping that in a year's time, people will forget about it and the cash can be banked!

I think some of the money was pledged rather than actually paid over.

It does sounds like some staff were actually collecting money, so I don't know what's happened to that.

It does sounds like some staff were actually collecting money, so I don't know what's happened to that.

They had charity collection boxes.

I remember the video rental Futurama had one on the counter. It had the energy FM label across it. :rolleyes:

Of course if people read the threads they would know the answer

£2,500 reward was pledged by Tower Insurance to anyone giving info which led to the perpetrators being apprehended. Tower will presumably only pay out if someone is found as a result iof a tip off

Energy FM collected over £3,000 and pledged half to MSPCA, imediately, and half as a reward. If the reward is not claimed no doubt it will go to an animal charity

Regarding the reward money received from listeners and advertisers at Energy FM, when we realised the response to the reward fund it was decided that half the money would be offered as a reward and the remainder given to animal welfare charities. In view of the fact that no one has come forward to claim the reward we will be handing over all the monies to animal charities in the near future.

Mark

Archived