[BBC News] Labrador tied up and left to die

Newsbot

So I guess that you never spend any money on frivolities, that any spare cash you have goes to humanitarian charities - good for you!

Of course you're allowed an opinion, but so am I.

And like I said, if you'd like to talk about something, how about starting a thread on it?

Edited to delete the apology.

But the point is that £2,500 shouldn't need to be spent on a reward, assuming people with information have a duty / ought to come forward in any event.

If you choose to classify making an offer of an award as a frivolity that's down to you - but it is a lot of money that could arguably be better spent on causes such as poverty etc. or more close to home - and on topic - donated to the MSPCA or other causes looking after or preventing cruelty to animals. I'm not saying it would be better spent on such causes as spending your own money is a very personal thing.

As for 'hijacking the thread' most of it has been expressions of shock/sympathy (agrea) or coming up with 'witty', creative vengeful punishments, which is not really on topic, unless 'on topic' means agreeing with such posts.

Finally, it is not a massive leap to suggest that the offer of reward - when most right minded people would and ought to report the crime - is simply a 'within the system' desire for vengeance as opposed to doing something with the money to look after or prevent cruelty to other animals.

EDIT: Shpelling

Ian, I think you've either completely misread and/or misunderstood my posts, which were directed at The Great Badger and nobody else. My personal view is that if anybody wants to stump up a reward to catch this person / people then it's entirely within their right and they shouldn't be made to feel guilty about spending their money on that instead of a 'people' charity. That was the point I was trying to get across.

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Ian, I think you've either completely misread and/or misunderstood my posts, which were directed at The Great Badger and nobody else. My personal view is that if anybody wants to stump up a reward to catch this person / people then it's entirely within their right and they shouldn't be made to feel guilty about spending their money on that instead of a 'people' charity. That was the point I was trying to get across.

I agread with The Great Badger though, see my post at 11:05am...

Anyway, it's clearly an emotive subject for some (hence the rewards and the punishments) - but I obviously hope the perpertrators get caught, reward or no reward.

... incidents where bored, sick little f*cks take potshots at animals are not uncommon, but this is so specific, not to mention carried out in a remote place.

Could describe several 'sports' favoured by toffs (deer stalking, fox hunting, hare coursing etc).

I wish whoever did this true, lifelong misery. After someone does the decent thing and hospitalises them, of course.

Merely an exemplar of a wider trend in this thread to essentially say 'how terrible that they inflicted terrible pain on the dog. i would like to inflict terrible pain on them.'

I share the first sentiment, but would suggest the second smacks of double standards. A bit of a cliche, perhaps, but two wrongs don't make a right.

I find it very difficult to understand how anyone could inflict this level of suffering to any living being. Someone knows this person/persons responsible and he/she/they need dealing with pronto. Naming would be the right thing to do, and I would imagine they would have to leave the Island.

If keyboarder finds this subject amusing, perhaps he could travel with them.

Isle of Man is getting worse.

and worse...

and worse.

If the people do get caught.... what would their punishment be in this society? Two weeks community service, and a £500 fine. <_< If they were teenagers, some will say "they had nothing much else to do..... we need to give them more amenities". All comes down to the same point - we got an awful lot of useless, ignorant and aggressive idiots out there on this island!!

I am one for believing punishments should be severe.

To purposely murder a dog... !! A very twisted mind indeed.. and one that should not be loose in our society.

I am one for believing punishments should be severe.

To purposely murder a dog... !! A very twisted mind indeed.. and one that should not be loose in our society.

Really? I thought you would advocate forgiveness - is that not what a big part of religion is about?

Not at all actually.

Those who commit crimes, must be made accountable.

Lonan: You're trying to be funny I know.... but you're just being silly here.

Archived