Manx Telecom = Thieving Scumbags?

3v0

I'm Not sure if anyone read the article on page 3 of the examiner yesterday about Manx Telecom, it would appear that they have got rid of all their mobile phone dealers.

That means the only airtime I can buy is MT's from MT?

I read somewhere that MT "welcomes" the competition. What competition?? All they have done is tightened the noose around us consumers. Nice one MT. May you one day RIP. Instead of just RIPping us all off.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"MOBILE phone operator Cloud9 is due to launch a rival to Manx Telecom's network in early March.

Manx Telecom's monopoly will end when Cable & Wireless and Cloud9 launch their services this year, with promises that tariffs will be cut.

Cloud9, a subsidiary of Wire9 Telecom, will be the first to launch, with the service initially offered to the several thousand customers who have registered with the network.

Cable & Wireless is expected to follow in the summer."

I think this makes a mockery of the above post.

"MOBILE phone operator Cloud9 is due to launch a rival to Manx Telecom's network in early March.

Manx Telecom's monopoly will end when Cable & Wireless and Cloud9 launch their services this year, with promises that tariffs will be cut.

Cloud9, a subsidiary of Wire9 Telecom, will be the first to launch, with the service initially offered to the several thousand customers who have registered with the network.

Cable & Wireless is expected to follow in the summer."

I think this makes a mockery of the above post.

How does it make a mockery of it? Cloud9 are due to launch in early March, C&W sometime in the Summer - it doesn't mean that they will launch then, or indeed ever, until such time as they start taking customers.

I'm not saying whether it's right or wrong, but if the Cell-Co's statement is correct, that the 90-days notice of contract termination was given on the day that Cloud9 announced that Cell-Co were going to sell their products, then that's too much of a conicidence to be true.

What exactly does this change? All it means is that for you to buy MT products you have to go to the MT shop. What's the fuss?

It means that on contract phones they have no competition as they aren't offering commission to dealers in order to subsidise the price of phones to customers, you used to be able to go into any phone shop and buy a phone on a MT contract at a discount rate, this provided a certain level of competition on the price of the phones that kept them down between the three main phone dealers over here, now the only way to get a cheap or free phone is to go to the MT shop and sign up for 100 year contract or whatever it is, I just think it's unfair and look forward to the new networks coming over and hopefully making it a bit cheaper.

Cret say that to us bizness customers who pay a fortune.

The sooner we see a few more companies the better, i would like to see the landlines and broadband go the same way.

Its not healthy to have one company supplying the whole of the island.

It means that on contract phones they have no competition as they aren't offering commission to dealers in order to subsidise the price of phones to customers, you used to be able to go into any phone shop and buy a phone on a MT contract at a discount rate, this provided a certain level of competition on the price of the phones that kept them down between the three main phone dealers over here, now the only way to get a cheap or free phone is to go to the MT shop and sign up for 100 year contract or whatever it is, I just think it's unfair and look forward to the new networks coming over and hopefully making it a bit cheaper.

Sorry, but you can't on one hand say that you look forward to a competitive era and on the other, criticise a company for taking commercial decisions to protect its own interests. That is the very nature of competition.

I think this whole affair is a two-edged sword - on one hand, competition is nice and makes things cheaper - on the other, I somehow doubt there's really sufficient business here for three telecom companies, but all of them will employ a lot of people that need to earn a living - will be interesting to see how things turn out in a couple of years time...

Sorry, but you can't on one hand say that you look forward to a competitive era and on the other, criticise a company for taking commercial decisions to protect its own interests. That is the very nature of competition.

It seems a rather underhanded way to "protect it's own interests", in a competitive market network providers generally compete with each other by offering a better service for less cost, Manx telecoms reaction to a bit of competition is "Sell their products and you can't sell ours" Is that a sign that they are unwilling to provide a better service at less cost?

Or you can go Pay as you Go with no contract.

Except that GPRS doesn't work with PAYG.

Cloud9 told me that they WILL have GPRS, on PAYG and contract. (no mention of rates, just the usual 'we will beat or match MT' etc)

As I understand it, 3G offers broadband-like speeds, unmetered, is this correct?

I think this whole affair is a two-edged sword - on one hand, competition is nice and makes things cheaper - on the other, I somehow doubt there's really sufficient business here for three telecom companies, but all of them will employ a lot of people that need to earn a living - will be interesting to see how things turn out in a couple of years time...

Could turn out like Emerald vs Euromanx: Two companies go head to head, both sustain losses, one survives and then hikes up prices. :(

It seems a rather underhanded way to "protect it's own interests", in a competitive market network providers generally compete with each other by offering a better service for less cost, Manx telecoms reaction to a bit of competition is "Sell their products and you can't sell ours" Is that a sign that they are unwilling to provide a better service at less cost?

telecomho6.jpg

aww - bless....

Archived